Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

yeah
Old 10/07/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Capn... how much flow do you have through your fuge. I'm starting to get a film on the surface of the water in my fuge. Ideas?
Old 10/07/2007, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
Capn... how much flow do you have through your fuge. I'm starting to get a film on the surface of the water in my fuge. Ideas?
the flow is about 1/8 as much as through the sump.

I get that once and while in my sump----- I use a power head in there for about an hr.
In the fug if the flow is low--I would just get a big spoon and pretend the fug is a soup bowl
Are you rotating the cheato ball once a week--this helps with that also.
Old 10/07/2007, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I installed as light yesterday on my fuge and got some macro algae from the LFS put into it. I'll try and get a pic posted today. My light kicks off a lot of heat so I have it on a reverse schedule from my display tank. I'm gonna go pick up some computer fans of something today to help with evaporation.

So what was the conclusion with inverts for the fuge? what do you recomment?
change your bulb--go with the energy savers--mines a 25watt--no heat , no evaporation and its on 24/7
Old 10/09/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Hey Cap'n

I was wondering, since you have a split fuge/sump design if you think this would work:

Here's the reasoning:

I do not have enough room in my return section to hold water in the event of a power failure, therefore if I can move my fuge to a seperate tank, I'll have more room in my return section to hold water.

I would run this with powerheads. Would this work??? All it would be doing is taking water from my intake section, and a powerhead would pump some of that into the 15gallon fuge, where another powerhead would be located to pump it back. The tanks would be level so one powerhead wouldn't need to be stronger than the other.

Basically I can do this with extra stuff I have laying around... Rather than purchasing a large tank to make a sump out of right now.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Old 10/09/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

If the water is suppose to go thru the fuge more slowly, how can the return pump be on one side of the fuge and the incoming overflow water on the other end of the tank?

If I have a tank for fuge and one for sump, what would be the best way to bring water in and out to keep it all circulating together?
Old 10/12/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Hey Tswifty,
I thought about using two pumps to move water between my sump and fuge, but getting the flow rate would be tough. If you think about it - even if it's just a tiny bit off - after hours and hours - something will run dry or overflow (or both).
After some research and thought, I figured out the best way is to gravity feed one to the other. (Like someone on RC said "gravity does not fail".) I built a small stand to raise my fuge (and after I drill it and it will gravity feed my sump.) I'm putting it all together this week.
What I keep going back and forth on is how to feed the fuge. Some guys use a line off the return pump, some off the overflow, but I am leaning toward using a small pump to move water from the sump to the fuge.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 10/12/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
What I keep going back and forth on is how to feed the fuge. Some guys use a line off the return pump, some off the overflow, but I am leaning toward using a small pump to move water from the sump to the fuge.
I dont see why that wouldnt work. As long as the outlet from the fuge return is higher than the sump water level its returning to it should work fine. But I think the reason most people split of the overflow line fron the main tank is so the stuff your growning in the fuge can benifit from the junk coming through there vs. after the skimmer. Thats just what I think. take it how you will.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bach2pilot
Hey Tswifty,
I thought about using two pumps to move water between my sump and fuge, but getting the flow rate would be tough. If you think about it - even if it's just a tiny bit off - after hours and hours - something will run dry or overflow (or both).
After some research and thought, I figured out the best way is to gravity feed one to the other. (Like someone on RC said "gravity does not fail".) I built a small stand to raise my fuge (and after I drill it and it will gravity feed my sump.) I'm putting it all together this week.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
That's exactly what ended up happening. I could not get the flows to match, close but no match. So I ended up puting a bulhead in and running plumbing and letting gravity pull water from the fuge. Right now I am using a powerhead to run water from the sump into the fuge. However I have been advised against this, and will be re-plumbing my intake and "T"ing it off this weekend

Check out my thread on this, there's a lot of conversation about the layout

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1201902&perpage=&pagenumber=3

Here's how it looks now. The black PVC pipe is the gravity fed return fom the bulkhead in the fuge.

Old 10/12/2007, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hey Cap'n

I was wondering, since you have a split fuge/sump design if you think this would work:

Here's the reasoning:

I do not have enough room in my return section to hold water in the event of a power failure, therefore if I can move my fuge to a seperate tank, I'll have more room in my return section to hold water.

I would run this with powerheads. Would this work??? All it would be doing is taking water from my intake section, and a powerhead would pump some of that into the 15gallon fuge, where another powerhead would be located to pump it back. The tanks would be level so one powerhead wouldn't need to be stronger than the other.

Basically I can do this with extra stuff I have laying around... Rather than purchasing a large tank to make a sump out of right now.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
if you raise the fuge and split the line coming from the refugium, add two values after the t---then gravity flow will work on both--so you don't have to use separate pumps.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

for eg: