Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2007, 03:00 PM
The Original Chingy

OT: Apartment renting, tenant woes

I had a question dealing with apartment landlords/managers a few months ago and I received very knowledgeable response... I hope I'm not pushing my luck.

Two issues:

1) Is there a required time frame when we're supposed to get a copy of our lease? We signed it two months ago and the manager said she'd give us a copy in a week, seen nothing yet. I haven't had a chance to ask for it because I'm at work from 5 am to night.

2) We rescued a kitten last week. The manager came and told us yesterday the apartment no longer allows pets (yet she has a pug and neighbors have cats). If pets were allowed when we signed our lease (I have no way of checking!), can they institute a new rule out of the blue?
Old 10/01/2007, 03:17 PM
Moved On

Re: OT: Apartment renting, tenant woes

Quote:
Originally posted by Foogoo
I had a question dealing with apartment landlords/managers a few months ago and I received very knowledgeable response... I hope I'm not pushing my luck.

Two issues:

1) Is there a required time frame when we're supposed to get a copy of our lease? We signed it two months ago and the manager said she'd give us a copy in a week, seen nothing yet. I haven't had a chance to ask for it because I'm at work from 5 am to night.

2) We rescued a kitten last week. The manager came and told us yesterday the apartment no longer allows pets (yet she has a pug and neighbors have cats). If pets were allowed when we signed our lease (I have no way of checking!), can they institute a new rule out of the blue?

1) the lease ..you should have gotten a copy that day!!!! If not the next or right now even have your land lord Fax it.
It should be standard and universal for all. So it should NOT be hard to get in at all..it should NEVER take longer than ten minutes to produce one.

2) This depends on what is in YOUR lease. Some APT's..have special apartments for pets...I live in a place where we can NOT have pets but on the other end of the complex (Park area) pets were allowed. $75.00 more a month in rent.
Old 10/01/2007, 03:25 PM
Moved On

You should have gotten your lease, but now, you need to send a written request, (send it return recpt requested), so that if they dont send it in a timely manner, they will be on the clock and liable till they do send it to you...

In that request, indicate that you never rec'd the lease after it was signed and approved, and are still awaiting the original copy. Or they will claim you did have it and lost it and were wanting a copy.

And like the msssage above, the pets clause is in the lease. But, the owner / landlord can modify the lease with adequate notice..

Inthe case of pets, the landlord may have difficulty excluding pets if they were previously approved.

If he enforces the rules uniquely or on an individual baisis, he exposes himself to claims of discrimination or harassment...

But, no matter what, the golden rule applies, the man with the gold wins...

He will make your life miserable, even if you win one battle...

Typically landlords or thier representatives dont like to work. That is thier weak link. The less they work for you or in your unit, the more they will ignore you and look else where.

But if they are focused on you, then make them work. They need to do and verify certain things. make them do that, by written notice of course...

Good luck

Bill
Old 10/01/2007, 11:29 PM
It's Domo-kun

They should have given you a copy of the lease immediately. If you have asked repeatedly and still don't have one, then do send something in writing.

I have heard of buildings with animal quotas (eg no more than 10 dogs for the whole building, or whatnot). Not sure exactly what the laws are there though. If your lease says you can have pets, and they told you that you can have pets, then they would have a hard time denying you that after the fact.
Old 10/01/2007, 11:31 PM
Devil in the fur

Quote:
Originally posted by Bergovoy
You should have gotten your lease, but now, you need to send a written request, (send it return recpt requested), so that if they dont send it in a timely manner, they will be on the clock and liable till they do send it to you...

In that request, indicate that you never rec'd the lease after it was signed and approved, and are still awaiting the original copy. Or they will claim you did have it and lost it and were wanting a copy.

And like the msssage above, the pets clause is in the lease. But, the owner / landlord can modify the lease with adequate notice..

Inthe case of pets, the landlord may have difficulty excluding pets if they were previously approved.

If he enforces the rules uniquely or on an individual baisis, he exposes himself to claims of discrimination or harassment...

But, no matter what, the golden rule applies, the man with the gold wins...

He will make your life miserable, even if you win one battle...

Typically landlords or thier representatives dont like to work. That is thier weak link. The less they work for you or in your unit, the more they will ignore you and look else where.

Perfect example of why non-lawyers should not give legal advice. Stick to reefing!
Old 10/01/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyESQ
Perfect example of why non-lawyers should not give legal advice. Stick to reefing!

Check with GinaSofia. I believe she manages several properties here in the SFV, so she may be able to give you some insight from the property management perspective.
Old 10/03/2007, 10:41 AM
Moved On

Re: Re: OT: Apartment renting, tenant woes

Quote:
Originally posted by pmartin727
1) the lease ..you should have gotten a copy that day!!!! If not the next or right now even have your land lord Fax it.
It should be standard and universal for all. So it should NOT be hard to get in at all..it should NEVER take longer than ten minutes to produce one.

2) This depends on what is in YOUR lease. Some APT's..have special apartments for pets...I live in a place where we can NOT have pets but on the other end of the complex (Park area) pets were allowed. $75.00 more a month in rent.
Check this info against any lawyer ... I'm promise you I would not post something I did not know for SURE! I have the been thru this first hand
Old 10/03/2007, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Since we are talking about pets in a apartment, Is having a fish tank considered a pet? I might move to another apartment but is says that no pets allowed on their lease agreement.
thanks
Old 10/03/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

No,but it is considered "water-filled furniture".Your application to rent will ask you if you have any.

And, your lease likely requires you to get permission and renter's insurance to keep it.If you get permission,get it in writing.
Old 10/03/2007, 12:52 PM
The Original Chingy

I checked the California Civil Code last night and we're supposed to get a copy of our lease within 15 days of signing...

Another issue is that the day after our walkthru, I discovered my window was broken and missed it on the initial inspection so I went over to talk to her about it. She immediately said "oh yes, I broke it and it's on order...". Well the other day she brings up my broken window and I mention the conversation, and she says she was referring to our livingroom screen...

Whether she's lying or just forgetful, I realize it's my fault for missing it so I'd be willing to cover the cost... but still
Old 10/03/2007, 12:54 PM
Moved On

Quote:
I checked the California Civil Code last night and we're supposed to get a copy of our lease within 15 days of signing...

Another issue is that the day after our walkthru, I discovered my window was broken and missed it on the initial inspection so I went over to talk to her about it. She immediately said "oh yes, I broke it and it's on order...". Well the other day she brings up my broken window and I mention the conversation, and she says she was referring to our livingroom screen...

Whether she's lying or just forgetful, I realize it's my fault for missing it so I'd be willing to cover the cost... but still

CYA CYA CYA CYA CYA................

Cover your *** .......sounds like your in for a long lease ...Good luck
Old 10/03/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Re: OT: Apartment renting, tenant woes

Quote:

Two issues:

Well, you say you don't have time to talk to the manager in the first part, but in the second part you say the manager came and told you that you couldn't have pets, now if she/he literally came to you (your door I'm assuming), why didn't you ask for the lease then? Just a thought.
Old 10/04/2007, 04:51 PM
The Original Chingy

Didn't think about it then, and she actually talked to my roommate. I'm going to be on her to get me the lease now however...