Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2007, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Genicanthus Melanospilus - Pics - Help!

This weekend my wife surprised me with a pair of Genicanthus Melanospilus for my birthday. I have a 210 gal mixed reef with 3 tangs (the other med-large size fish in the tank besides this pair of Angelfish). All of the other tank mates seemed to be ok with these new additions to the tank; however the male angel has been chasing the female for the last two days, and has really started to damage its fins pretty good now. The female has been doing the submissive shivering display, but the male doesn’t seem care and is really determined to show his dominance.

Please… any advice? I really, really like this fish and of course would hate for this to continue to the point of losing the female.

Here are some details about my tank as well as pictures of both male and female:
• 210 gal display
• 260 gal total water volume
• Good water parameters (I’m pretty good about keeping up on my daily maintenance)
• About 300 lbs of live rock with various corals
• Pair percula clownfish
• Mated pair of blue jaw triggerfish
• Freckled face hawkfish
• 3 female squareback anthias
• Orange shoulder, Kole, and yellow tang

Old 10/01/2007, 01:29 AM
Our man in the East

Maybe take out the male and place in your QT tank for a week (if you have one). This will enable the female to establish itself first.

I placed a male in my tank yesterday. I already have an established female. I don't have the issues your having but my male is very timid and hiding in the rockwork. I will let you know if any similar behaviour to yours occurs. Good luck!
Old 10/01/2007, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

I'm not sure getting catching the male (or any other fish for that matter) would be possible. Is this male/female fighting normal since they were both put into a new environment? Should it soon stop, or might it continue for a while?
Old 10/01/2007, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

I dont see anything serious. Let them settle it out- they should be fine.
Old 10/01/2007, 07:36 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

I added mine both at the same time. The female is half the size on the male, and my tank is half the size of yours. Never any fighting, not even chasing, much less actual physical contact. I would think if they don't cool it in a week or so, especially if it gets worse, you may have to remove one.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/01/2007, 10:26 AM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by mkarston
Should it soon stop, or might it continue for a while?
I don't know.
- But SD Guy has stated what I would do if my previous post is not an option.
I'm on day two and he hasn't properly come out yet though he is toying with the idea and eating .
Old 10/01/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure if this helps, but I have a female Genicanthus Melanospilus, who I've had for over a year. When I added my Flame Angel about 2 months ago, she was relentless in chasing it every time she saw it. She would chase it right into the rocks. This lasted for about 1 week and then gradually slowed down. Now she doesn't even bother with it. So I guess, as long as he's not doing any damage and they are both eatting, I would just keep an eye on it for now. HTH
Old 10/01/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for sharing.... not knowing, I'm trying to gather as much experiences from all you fellow reefers, so I can make the best decision and get these fish to play nice!
Old 10/01/2007, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

So, Ive come home to things not being any better at all. I've seen the male chase two of my tangs, as well as constant nipping at the female. I currently have a net in the tank, but don't really feel I have a good shot at catching him, but feel compelled to try. I feel I may be able to catch the female, as she seems much less afraid of the net (the male is very hesitant to come out from behind the rocks).

Why can't they all just get along!!!
Old 10/01/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Well, after a few failed attempts at getting the male, I decided to catch the female and put her in my fuge. At least she isn't continually getting harassed while I figure out what to do with the male and can have the opportunity to heal the injury done to her fins. My fuge is about 30 gals or so and has about 220gph turnover, and I have removed all macro algae that was in there.

Will she be ok in there for a couple days? Is the water in the fuge and different (since there is less flow, and dirty/has algae)?
Old 10/01/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

bump.... any info?
Old 10/01/2007, 08:05 PM
Our man in the East

She will be fine in there for a few days
Old 10/02/2007, 03:05 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Good luck.

I had to pull out a sub-adult male (the stripes are just starting to show) out of my 120g because the female beat the snot out it. It's fins were so torn up and that in a matter of one day.