Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2007, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Talking Koi Pond, Nothing to do with SW

Figured I'd share since several of the club keep freshwater tanks and a couple even have ponds also.

Several of you have been to the house and seen are koi pond. Well I decided to redo it before the winter since My filters and skimmer are a pain in cold weather. I figured since we were getting new filters whats a bigger liner going to matter lol. We ended up going from about a 600 gallon to round about 3500gallon I still have to measure it exactly to get a set size.. It still has a very long way to go.. I did most all the digging and setting the liner last weekend I hope to finish it this weekend. I think it will be pretty slick when its done! Are old pond was almost overstocked with fish.. The same fish in this pond look like a drop in a bucket.. They have tons of room to swim now. Anyway here is a few pics of the old one and the new one.. Like I said the new one still needs alot of finish work so its not much to look at yet.. But you get the idea.

OLD

NEW

Will

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?
Old 09/28/2007, 12:05 PM
Fish Yenta

Very nice!
Old 09/29/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Will, when you go outside to build a Kio pond you sure ain't playin'. I love it already. It's pretty now but it will be beautiful by next spring. Next reef club meeting at your house will it be alright if I sit on the bridge and dangle my feet in the water?
Old 09/29/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

Silly me, I got so excited that I forgot how to spell Koi. It's my advanced age at work.
Old 09/29/2007, 02:28 PM
Troll

All right Will, you done did it now! She's walkin' 'round the back yard with her hands on her hips lookin' 'round! I'm prolly gonna miss golf for the next few weeks!
Old 09/29/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

The other one was very nice, but I just love the walk over bridge.

uh oh H@rry your in trouble now....if her hands are on her hips it's serious!...lol.

Smile, the Day Always looks Brighter Through Shining Eyes

Little Things Can Make A Big Difference
Old 09/29/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Everybody, Its far from a Reef, But we really have enjoyed the other pond.. Most people that come to the house look at the pond as much as the SW tanks..Mary I have to agree with you.. The bridge is probably my favorite addition!

Quote:
Originally posted by H@rry
All right Will, you done did it now! She's walkin' 'round the back yard with her hands on her hips lookin' 'round! I'm prolly gonna miss golf for the next few weeks!
LOL Sorry Harry.. Hire someone to do the digging and to move the really big rocks. It was a pain in the back.... I have this stupid thing about doing my little projects myself.. The liner alone weighed in at 225Lbs. I have atleast learned one thing from these ponds.. When you see those movies where they make a guy dig up a grave alone in just a few hours.. Well thats just BS or he is a better man then me. I used a back hoe to dig about half of it Took me 2 days to dig the other half by hand lol

Will

Old 09/30/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

That is very nice Will. I have wanted to do something like that in my yard, maybe with a stream running through my yard with a bridge. But so many projects have to decide which comes first.

http://www.curtisstolaas.com
Old 09/30/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H@rry
Looks like a good project for you Harry! Let me know when it is finish and I will come look at it. It is hard to put a pond in our yard on the side of the foot hill in Guntersville. Too many rocks.

Monica

LSU,
How bout em TIGERS!
Old 10/27/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Well since a few folks were asking about the pond today I guess its about time to post an update lol. I haven't been able to work on it in a couple of weeks, But its getting there. Looks alot better then when I first posted.. I also rebuilt the bridge.. This one is a little longer and doesn't have such a steep incline on the first few steps. The pond is pretty much done.. I just have to do some work on the flower beds around it now..

BTW I'm thinking about putting a concrete japanese lantern on the side were the bamboo fountain is.. Anyone know of a good place to find one? I've already looked at across the pond.

Will

Old 10/27/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Absolutely Beautiful

I don't know if this site will have what you want but you can look.

http://www.exterior-accents.com/asianaccents.html

While I've never ordered anything from these folks I believe they are a good company. A long time friend of mine in Chattanooga bought the cranes for her "water feature" and is really pleased. I asked her to send me the site when I first thought about having a pond.

It was nice to see you all today. Thanks for posting the new pictures. The pond is beautiful!
Old 10/27/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

nice pics, looks like you got your hands full. I've got a 3900 gal sitting right off my deck. loving Every min of it. I'm glad to see others out there taking intrests in the same things. Your rock work looks a hellofalot better than mine. I dstacked 3 tons of black slate from across the pond around mine. that sucked a&!. enjoy your new project
Old 10/27/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

nice pics, looks like you got your hands full. I've got a 3900 gal sitting right off my deck. loving Every min of it. I'm glad to see others out there taking intrests in the same things. Your rock work looks a hellofalot better than mine. I dstacked 3 tons of black slate from across the pond around mine. that sucked a&!. enjoy your new project
Old 10/28/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

M@ry, Thanks for the link.. Believe it or not but I've already been on that sight.. I was checking out their bridges trying to get ideas.

3900 gal wow. I think mine is about 3500-4000. Hard to say since its a odd shape and has a bog. Yeah the rock can really be a pain. I got all of mine from our creek. Its a mix of a little bit of everything.. Some slate some limestone and what ever other kind of rocks you find around here. I like the look of it though. Gives it that natural look.. Plus I was able to find some really kewl shapes and sizes.. Heck one on the edge is over 6 feet long and is probably around 250lbs. One thing I think helps is to not try to fit the rocks together.. I did that on the first pond and it wasn't bad but it had that man made look.. This time we didn't fit the rocks together infact we made sure to leave space between them.. Then we just back filled them with Smaller rocks and gravel.. I was trying to make it look like the creek.

Will

Old 10/28/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Your pond is looking great.
Monica

LSU,
How bout em TIGERS!