Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/26/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Looking for Purple Bonsai

does anyone know where i can get a frag???
Old 09/26/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

My guess is you won't find it around here. Your best bet will be on the coral/livestock sales forum. I've seen it on there a few times the last few months.
Old 09/26/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Wasn't that a garf coral?

Rich
Old 09/26/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

yea, there is actually one on the selling forums right now. $40 I think. Its a nice coral.
Old 09/26/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

These guys have them. Yery expensive though.

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/
Old 09/26/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Wow there stuff is high. Very nice looking though.
Old 09/26/2007, 08:21 PM
Eye Bol

Most of their stuff is LE (limited edition). It's hard to find, rare, and has great color. These things bring the big $$$!
Old 09/26/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Check with Garf. Sometimes they do have them available. Check it can not hurt to ask.
Old 09/27/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

i tried Garf.. they are out.. i also called Atlantis.... i have actually been looking for a Bali Tricolor Valida!! the bonsai and tricolor look similar..now i am trying to get one of each... Atlantis is out of both... i am about to get "the incredible hulk" acropora from Atlantis...it is crazy nice!!!!! nobody around here has any rare or hard to find acro's???
Old 09/27/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10857199#post10857199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ronjeremy
i tried Garf.. they are out.. i also called Atlantis.... i have actually been looking for a Bali Tricolor Valida!! the bonsai and tricolor look similar..now i am trying to get one of each... Atlantis is out of both... i am about to get "the incredible hulk" acropora from Atlantis...it is crazy nice!!!!! nobody around here has any rare or hard to find acro's???
Nope, and if they do they aren't on these forums. I know someone who was bringing in boxes of stuff from reefers madness but his tank crashed and its sitting empty right now. Other than that Sue gets some nice things but she doesn't tend to spend the cash on that crazy expensive stuff.

There is still a bonsai posted on the coral selling forum. Its now in a package deal but i think you might be interested in that package, if it isn't sold by now.
Old 09/27/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

i am going to wait and try to get it from Atlantis.. some people have a coral that they think is a bonsai when it really isn't.... i am going to start collecting some of the harder to find corals.. i have a friend in Texas that only has rare acro's.. i am going to try to get ahold of her and pick up a few.. she has the ones that i want, but she recently suffered a loss of family member and i haven't heard from her in a while
Old 09/27/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1210336

that stuff doesn't look great but i'm guessing its in a frag grow out tank.

You might also want to check out progressive marine in mobile to see what Rich has in. He just got a shipment in this week from what I heard. Last time I was there he had some really nice encrusting montis. I picked up a neon orange one. He typically gets in a mix of wild and aquacultured stuff.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Well, I don't know what your purpose for the "rare and hard to find" is, most of these corals are not really that....but if a particular "named" coral is what your looking for it will definately be more "rare." Kind of the issue with the LE stuff. It's just harder to find one from that single colony. It doesn't mean it's the only one out there, but at least with the LE, they're particular about a coral that will be consistant in different tanks. Even then, alot of these corals have been out long enough that frags are getting easier to find and cheaper.

I won't voice any opinion on who to or not to order from, but you'll likely get a much better deal from an individual. In alot of cases you'll get a much better sized frag. I've seen quite a few on RC for sale lately.

I have a number of LE corals, one's I've gotten because they aren't seen so often. But honestly, it's just as nice to find a coral with cool shape, or color, or whatever...that isn't run of the mill...the fact that it doesn't have a cutesy name doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I bet I could take one of my corals without a name and just give it a cool name. It then becomes a limited edition. All I have to do is convince a few people to buy it at a rediculous price and then it's on the market as Al's limited edition pink and purple jet fighter Acropora ssp. Whay do you think...$100 for a 1/2" frag.

Is all in the marketing. And always remember the disclaimer. "This coral may look no look the same under different light".

Having said that, I do follow the philosophy of buy what you like. I've just learned that in this hobby, any acro I buy is going to look different after it's been in my tank for a month. Some not so good, some better. That seems to be part of the thrill..seeing what I can make them look like.
Old 09/27/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

if you saw some of the ones i was looking at that are Limited editions, you would really like them... they are hard to find, but i am not looking for a "name" .... most of the LE's do look better than some of the ones that we see everyday..eventually, they will be circulating alot, but i want a few of these that i like now!
Old 09/27/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Know what you mean.. I like the bonsai too, but I'm afraid that it would turn cream color in my tank. I bought a Valida from DFS that looked very similar and the colors went stupid in my tank. Instead of purple with green poylps, I got forrest green with dark blue tips. I have to wait till my lights get bigger...then I can try the LE stuff.
Old 09/27/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

are you still using the lights listed in your signature??? i may actualy have to go back with 14k's to get some of my acro's to color up like they should
Old 09/27/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Same ones. I did get a lot better color when I put the chiller in the system, but I still need bigger lights. Right now I'm refitting a bigger sump and main pump to plumb a frag tank in. It will have 175MH 20K bulbs. After I get all that done, the main tank will get new fixtures. Right now the plan is to go to 3 250watt 10k XM bulbs on lumenarc mini reflectors. May wire in some T-5 HO's for my actinics.
Old 09/27/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

i tried the XM 10k's .. they were too yellow for my liking.. i went with the Coralvue 10k's.. everyone said they have gotten great growth from them and they are a crisp white.. i have't had mine on long enough to see a bunch of growth
Old 09/27/2007, 10:42 PM
Eye Bol

Reeflux 10k's. They are made by coralview but aren't actually the same bulb. Check and see if you have the reeflux. They do give you good growth but you will need the added blue for good color. I have 6 two foot VHO blues in concert with mine.
Old 09/27/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10858873#post10858873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Acro-Phobia
Same ones. I did get a lot better color when I put the chiller in the system, but I still need bigger lights. Right now I'm refitting a bigger sump and main pump to plumb a frag tank in. It will have 175MH 20K bulbs. After I get all that done, the main tank will get new fixtures. Right now the plan is to go to 3 250watt 10k XM bulbs on lumenarc mini reflectors. May wire in some T-5 HO's for my actinics.
I haven't found any T5s that I like for actinics. I'd personally go with VHO for actinics. I haven't look in the last 5 months or so for T5 Actinics but the 2 I have tried I haven't liked, and from what others say the VHOs are still better for actinics. I guess overall I'm just not happy with my T5's right now. I have a mix of T5 and VHO.
Old 09/27/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

oops!! yes,i have the Reeflux 10k's..
Old 09/28/2007, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

This has probably been said before but I'll say it again because it seems to be one of those things about the hobby that demonstates how unique and individual we humans really are.

I watch the light and equipment forum a lot since I'm going to upgrade my lights. Special attention paid to questions about what and which lights to get. I think there are about 200,000 to 250,000 people on reef central and about that many different opinions about the lights for your tank. I guess we humans do all see things a little different.

Once I get real close to buying, I'll ask you guys to come see your tanks, so I can see which lights I really like the best.
Old 09/28/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey, Ron
I have both those corals the garf and the tyree tricolor.
I will go in with you when you order just tell me when your odering.
Old 09/28/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

really!!! i don't remember seeing them... i will check them out this coming week when i bring the fish by... he is at 1.015 today...