Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/22/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

Firefish Question

Just got a Firefish/fire goby the other day. He seems to be really happy during the day but at night he hides in a cervices and goes sideways. I dont know too much about the nighttime habits of gobies, but is this normal or should I be concerned? Water parameters are normal, ammonia spiked up to 0.1 but is dropping. Generally I worry when I see things sideways. Any input is appreciated thanks
Old 09/22/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

if sure hes fine if hes eating okay...
Old 09/22/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

hes eating all the pods he sees, plus stuff drifting in the column, as well as frozen brine shrimp, i'll be picking up Cyclop-eeze for him on monday, doesnt seem interested in mysis shrimp though.
Old 09/22/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

this is what my firefish does, i think its ok but im still a noob and dont know that much
Old 09/22/2007, 10:49 AM
Premium Member

Typical behavior. Had one. Every night it would hideaway and each morning out it would come. Plan to get another.
Old 09/22/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Mine heads for cover everynight also. Comes out when the lights go up.
He does love mysis shrimp however.
Old 09/22/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

personally i think that firefish do better in groups
Old 09/22/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

firefish do not tolerate the company of oanother of the same genus, so i do not recommend mixing them, that kind of behavior is quite normal so do not worry.
Old 09/22/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Your amonia should be 0. Keep an eye on that. You may be having a mini cycle. Mine hides often by loves to eat flakes and frozen mysis.
Old 09/22/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Make sure you have a good cover on your tank. A firefish will launch itself to it's doom . I had one once in a 29 gallon and it disappeared. I looked all over for it and months later when tearing the aquarium down I found it's shriveled body behind the stand.
Old 09/22/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JESUS VILLASEÑO
firefish do not tolerate the company of oanother of the same genus, so i do not recommend mixing them, that kind of behavior is quite normal so do not worry.
i guesss mine are the exception
Old 09/22/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Re: Firefish Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Drock169
Just got a Firefish/fire goby the other day. He seems to be really happy during the day but at night he hides in a cervices and goes sideways. I dont know too much about the nighttime habits of gobies, but is this normal or should I be concerned? Water parameters are normal, ammonia spiked up to 0.1 but is dropping. Generally I worry when I see things sideways. Any input is appreciated thanks
Do you know what caused the ammonia spike? I would just keep an eye on your water params. I've had some fish do the sideways thing for a few days...had me concerned too...but then they just snapped out of it. Some experts recommend keeping these in pairs or more, but they can be kept alone too, especially in a smaller system.

Hope your friend pulls through.

-Jason

Prayer is Protein Skimming for the Soul
Old 09/22/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JESUS VILLASEÑO

everything you need to know.

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 09/22/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

he seems to be doing alright, I only have a 14g BC and its more like 8 G with all the LR in it, so I'm pretty limited to the amount of fish that will be in there. There will probably be a clownfish in there in a couple weeks and then it will probably done, maybe a porcelain crab in the future. I'll keep monitoring him as he still likes to hide sideways. His belly is pretty round so hes eating pretty well.
Thanks for all the input everyone
Old 09/22/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

If it's eating, good, I think he will be fine.
Old 09/22/2007, 11:15 PM
Moved On

i have kept multiple firefish, both of the same species and different species, together without any problems. firefish normally hide in the rocks at night, when they are scared, etc.
Old 09/23/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

Hiding and having a bolt hole to run to is normal mine all have done this.brine shrimp alone won't provide enough nutrition long term. I have kept one purple firefish(nemateleotris decora)and one firefish(nemateleotris magnifica) in a 90gallon with no trouble. Indeed these two actually slept together. I know the write ups say differently but this is the experience.
I currently have one of each in a 90gal reef. They ahve been there for over a year without any aggression. They each ahve their own bolt hole.