Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Roadie,

Is your G3 modded with the gate valve? If so, you need to crank it down a bit. If not, you need to drop the water level in your skimmer by lowering the standpipe or raising the skimmer in your sump. BTW, if I clean mine really well, it sometimes takes a few days to re-"break-in" Also, make sure the air intake on the venturi is on the pump side of the restriction. I reversed it by accident once and about pulled my hair out before I realized what I had done wrong. HTH!

Ted
Old 09/17/2007, 11:17 AM
out of work reefer...

I think I am going to trade my modded asm g6 in on a deltec or bk
Old 09/18/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigtex
Roadie,

Is your G3 modded with the gate valve? If so, you need to crank it down a bit. If not, you need to drop the water level in your skimmer by lowering the standpipe or raising the skimmer in your sump. BTW, if I clean mine really well, it sometimes takes a few days to re-"break-in" Also, make sure the air intake on the venturi is on the pump side of the restriction. I reversed it by accident once and about pulled my hair out before I realized what I had done wrong. HTH!
It is not modded and the standpipe is as low as it goes. I put some styrofoam under the skimmer a while back which raised it another inch or so and still no good. Yesterday i bored the hole in the venturi larger and now the water isn't "shooting" out of the standpipe but after about 15 minutes the cup still fills up.
Old 09/18/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm. That is puzzling. Where is the water level in your skimmer currently? If the water level in the skimmer section of your sump is too deep (skimmer sitting in water too deep ) that can cause a very thin watery skimmate. If you get a chance, if you can post a few pics of your setup and the skimmer in operation, that might help.

Ted
Old 09/18/2007, 11:00 AM
Live like you mean it...

How many layers of mesh did he put on there? You might have something in your water that is causing that type of activity. You may want to try some carbon or a water change and see what happens. The mesh mod should actually cut down on the amount of water pulled in(more air) rather than increase it. Try plugging the air intake and it should lower the water level in the skimmer body. If not, I'd say you've got something in your water causing the issue.
Old 09/19/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Also, check to be sure that the venturi is installed the correct way as mentioned earlier. The air hose should be farther away from the pump body...reversing it might cause a problem similar to what you're seeing.

Member of DFWMAS
Old 09/19/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

When I mesh modded mine, I had to lower the water level in the skimmer because it was producing tons of wet fine bubbles.

Ted
Old 09/19/2007, 10:54 PM
Unregistered Member

^Same here. It's skimming a lot even with the riser tube way down.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 09/20/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

Raise it an inch or so in your sump and see if that makes a difference. If not, raise it another inch. Give it about 24 hours between changes though to give it time to stabilize. The stuff I get out now is very concentrated and nasty. Not watery at all unless something out of the ordinary happens.

Ted
Old 09/20/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

ReefJerk:
Mesh modding increases the amount of air pulled into the skimmer. If you don't believe me, use one of the little air flow meters stock and then measure it again after mesh modding. Increases air flow dramatically. If the skimmer isn't big enough to handle the additional air volume it can cause you grief.

edwing206:
Raise it an inch or so in your sump and see if that makes a difference. If not, raise it another inch. Give it about 24 hours between changes though to give it time to stabilize. The stuff I get out now is very concentrated and nasty. Not watery at all unless something out of the ordinary happens.

Ted
Old 09/20/2007, 05:06 PM
Unregistered Member

Thanks bigtex! I'll try that.

Old 09/21/2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Last week I was reading a few different threads about modding a ASM Skimmer. When I was reading I found some post about a venturi mod that had you dill out the tip where you pit the hose and put a tube with a V cut into in in the the venturi body. I thought it was in this thread but I cant find it. Can anyone help. I did a bunch of different searches and still couldn't find it.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

Found it. It was in the post Meshwheel Friggin rocks
Old 09/22/2007, 01:40 AM
Unregistered Member

I just drilled my venturi out. My skimmer pulls massive air now. I don't have a meter but I can tell it pulls A LOT.

Old 09/22/2007, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Ok, I just received some P4 mesh and cut out 3 circles, is 3 the optimum number layers for a sedra 5000? I have read this long thread and think that's what I remember some have tried different amounts but thought 3 does best, if not what is please? Also, the post above from bob21115 what is the venturi tube replacement with a tube cut to a V? Don't remember that, any pictures of this? If the thread gets split as this one has "for performance issues" how do you know where the other half is and what name to search for? Thanks for sharing
Old 09/22/2007, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robertifly
Ok, I just received some P4 mesh and cut out 3 circles, is 3 the optimum number layers for a sedra 5000? I have read this long thread and think that's what I remember some have tried different amounts but thought 3 does best, if not what is please? Also, the post above from bob21115 what is the venturi tube replacement with a tube cut to a V? Don't remember that, any pictures of this? If the thread gets split as this one has "for performance issues" how do you know where the other half is and what name to search for? Thanks for sharing
Read threw this thread somewhere between page 26-30.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=26

People are drilling out the nipple that the hose on the venturi connects to and replacing it with a larger brabed fitting to increase the amount of air coming into the venturi.
Old 09/22/2007, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Got'ca thanks, BTW I have the Asm G3, it sits in a sump 15" deep, is that ok or too deep, should the skimmer and pump be raised up? Is the a perfect water depth for both in the sump and inside the skimmer?
Old 09/27/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

So I've been looking everywhere, and I can't find this figure...What's the correct depth for the ASM G1 skimmer? I'm about to start making my sump in a few minutes, but need this first! Please someone help quick!!
Old 10/02/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Is there any difference in how the pump is mounted (vertical / horizontal)?

Does anyone have a parts list for doing the recirc with the pump in the vertical position? Also what would be a good feed pump? I have it on a 90gal with 55gal sump. It was suggested to use something within the 1.5 - 2x tank volume. Is that total volume?

Currently running the mesh and gate mods but seem to only get tea like skim. Is anyone only running these 2 mods getting the really dark skimmate?

Thanks.
Old 10/06/2007, 02:57 PM
Devil in the fur

asmg4x question

atm it is being fed directly from the overflow. The problem, even with a ball valve, the water level seems inconsistent. I am using the sedra9k as a recirc pump and was wondering what would be a good feeder pump? I am hoping that it could be a small pump like a mj1200 or something to keep the watts down.
Old 10/06/2007, 03:28 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyESQ
asmg4x question

atm it is being fed directly from the overflow. The problem, even with a ball valve, the water level seems inconsistent. I am using the sedra9k as a recirc pump and was wondering what would be a good feeder pump? I am hoping that it could be a small pump like a mj1200 or something to keep the watts down.
Just use an MJ 1200 to feed the skimmer.

I had mone directly fed from the overflow and there would be surges in the skimmer which would interfere with skimmer production.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 10/07/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

i am a new member of the asm club. i just purchased the g4x for my 240 reef.seems to be working real well. just wondering what mods are needed for best performance.
Old 10/07/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

meshmod the g4x!
Old 10/07/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

It's funny you ask. I am cooking some rock in my garage right now. I am running a G3 with mesh mod on one bin and a G1X on the other with the stock needlewheel. Same batch of rocks, same water. The G3 pulled out more skimmate, faster, due primarily to the larger size and capacity and partly because of the mesh mod. But the G1X pulled out equally nasty skimmate. This morning, both bins have cleared up, smell very fresh and skimmate production has slowed way down due to the water cleaning up. In short, the mesh mod makes the skimmer a little more efficient. Without the gate valve mod, I did have a little problem adjusting the water level. I ended up having to raise it up to about 6" deep to keep the water level down and dry the skimmate up some. That said, I plan to do the gate valve mod to make it a little easier to adjust.

Sorry for the epistle. Hope that helps.

Ted
Old 10/07/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

if i do the mesh mod .will the pump still supply skimmer with enought water vuelume.