Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

aiptasia control

Anyone have a proven method to get rid of aiptasia with out chemicals? I have tried squirting them with lemon juice and that works if you hit it just right but seems to be hard to do that. I have also heard that coral banded shrimp will eat aiptasia.

Thx,

Josh
Old 09/21/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia (just bought one for this purpose)
cb shrimp eat bristleworms

you can also squirt with kalkwasser or joe's juice
Old 09/21/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Regarding "squirting" them w/ anything, I was told it is best to inject them w/ a syringe using kalk or joes juice. I bought a syringe @ Keys Island, I think it was a buck. HTH
Bill
Old 09/21/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Ya, Just try to squirt them right in there opening wil the Kalk and they shrivel right up!

Thanks Erik
Old 09/21/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

The most natural way is to use either a peppermint shrimp or a copperband butterfly. There can be an issue with the butterflys if you have featherdusters, coco worms, lps, and a few others things as they sometimes enjoy picking at them but not always it is usually a hit or miss thing. Also copperbands can be harded to keep. I would definately try the peppermint shrimp first.

The past is the past, The future is now. ---- Joe Dirt
Old 09/21/2007, 10:41 PM
Anemone Rancher

The most foolproof (and disruptive) way I've found is to remove a few rocks at a time and put them into another tank with a few peppermints and no other food. They'll clean all the aiptasia within a couple of days. Then cycle the rock. In my experience the peppermints fall prey to predation (CBS, wrasses, hawks) that might otherwise be great reef inhabitants. I got tired of hosting luncheons $20 of peppermints.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

for the squirting most people say to squirt their base and not their mouths... i guess when squirting the base they tend to close up and shrivel up with the liquid inside which gives a better chance of killing them... never used the injection method though so it is all heresay
Old 09/21/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Right now I have all my fish in a hospital tank for black spot ick so it might be a good time to put in some peppermint shrimp and let them go to work.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I had a big problem about 9 months ago. I got a copper banded butterfly and he got rid of all of them in about 2 weeks. He died last week though. The downside to them is you have to feed them misis shrimp or other frozen shrimp. They wont eat any other food.
Old 09/26/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

if you need a small syringe with needle, go to your local pharmacy - a walmart pharmacy is fine - I'm on bi-weekly shots and I don't even need a prescription for more hypodermics. Small 1cc syringes with needs are about $0.30 I think. I generally buy 30-40 at a time and it's peanuts per syringe.
Old 09/27/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I will go get another syringe and keep squirting the aptasia. I put a peppermint shrimp in there too but he was kinda of small and I havent seen him since he was introduced. Thanks for the info

Josh
Old 09/27/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

I did my regular shot this morning - my syringes are 3ml - and I reckon they'd be perfect for poking an aptaisia ...