Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Coral Acclimation

Hi,
Because I am having this issue with one of the RC seller. I bought an Acan from him, about 4-5 polyps. When I opened the bag the water in there was cloudy and smell. The Acan looked brown instead of orange color it suppose to. The next morning, it died. I told him about it and he asked me did I acclimate it. I said yes. I did acclimate it with the drip method for an hour. And I was shock, that he said I should not acclimated it and that I just put it straight into the main tank. So now he's blamming me for killing the acan because I acclimated it. Although, he told me that he will refund the next day but I still have not received any. I would give him credit for giving a milli frag for free but it too bleached the next day. So, I would like to know some opinion, before I give him feedback. Do you guys acclimate? If no then why?

BTW, I did receive another shipment from a different seller the same day. They were ricordia and zoos. They are doing well right now. And I too did acclimate them for an hour.
Old 09/21/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

you did the right thing to acclimate...everybody should. from what i hear about the acan, it sounds like the frag probably was already infected with brown jelly or was about to break out before it was put into the bag. it s a protozoan that infect the coral tissue that causes dead necrotic tissues to well up like "brown jelly" on the polyp itself. it is mainly through stress (they all get something when stressed). 2nd scenario: was the frag a fresh cut? he may have shipped it right after fragging, leaving slime on the coral causing the coral to die of suffocation over time with lack of flow and hence the brown water and foul smell...milli frag probably died because of the too, slime on the coral not washed away...
Old 09/21/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Acan should not do that. They are very hardy, in my experience. either the coral had a disease or he did not allow the coral to heal properly before he shipped them. I would never ship a Acan or the like for at leat 14 days after fragging to ensure it heals properly.
Old 09/21/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I think dreamreefer is right. There was lots of brown like hair algae surround the disc. When I put it in the main tank, the tangs gazed on the algae. It wasn't a fresh cut. In fact, it is well encrusted acan. Beside, he had the acan and the mili frag shipped in different bag. Thank you guys for info. So, I guess I will wait for another day. If I don't get a refund by then I will leave him a feedback. Sound fair enough? What do y'all think?
Old 09/21/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

the brown hair algae should have nothing to do with the death. whatvever it was, i believe it was a disease or some microbial parasites and killed it during transit...

I'd actually send him one last PM for the refund by a day/time, if no news, then leave feedback. I usually give ppl a chance and some time to respond in case he is not available for some important reason...my 2 cents. good luck.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

I just put my corals straight into my tank, maybe flow the bag for a few min.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:47 PM
Moved In

This would probably make a better discussion in the main forums not in the feedback. As you see by just a few answers, not everyone does it the same. Feel free to start a feedback thread when you decide to.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!