Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 07:54 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

And more,

Old 09/12/2007, 07:55 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

And some more,

Old 09/12/2007, 07:55 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

More,

Sump room

sumps,
Old 09/12/2007, 07:56 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

And last but not least,

FULL TANK SHOT!

Old 09/12/2007, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

wow... all that open water looks great... congratulations on a beautiful aquarium

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 09/12/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

thanks to jeremy for some great shots of my or actually i should say our tank really , cause he definately has enough time invested to where i think he definately has a stake in it lol, and thanks thirschmann im definately proud yo have this thing sitting next to me everyday, except the new plasma on the next wall never gets watched lol. and yes i love the open water thats one of the main reasons i went so large, that way i could go for more of a natural looking reef with tons of fish everywhere, and as you can see the 20 or so fish that are in there currently looks empty, i am shooting for 50 plus fish over the next 6 months or so.
Old 09/12/2007, 04:27 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Very nice!
Old 09/12/2007, 06:08 PM
Moved On

Just thought I\'d throw my 2 cents in...

I just purchased this SAME tank in July (it\'s still sitting dry waiting for the stand to be completed).

First I have to say that I have never COMPLETELY read a 9 page thread...but since I have this same tank, I found it very interesting.

Second I have to say that CrackedBottom was absolutely right. Maybe he just came across the wrong way because it was over the internet. However, when I met up with the GlassCages 18 wheeler to pick up my tank with the 14 foot U-Haul, the delivery people made it a point to make sure I knew to put the tank on a flat solid surface with 1 inch foam between the stand and tank. They said that if not done this way, OVER TIME, the tank WILL crack. If you don\'t believe it, go to vendor feedback and do a search on GlassCages. I bet everyone in there bashing GlassCages didn\'t follow the companys instructions! An 11 foot piece of glass just \'floating\' in mid air with 3500lbs of wieght on it doesn\'t make ME sleep good at night!! Now take that same 11 foot piece of glass and put it on a solid topped stand with 1 inch foam on it, and the entire bottom sheet of glass is supported. That is the thing everyone was trying to get across - maybe not so successfully. I\'m sure no malice was intended.

And so everyone knows, this is the longest \"standard\" tank that GlassCages makes. If you take the 130 inch tank and go 130x36x36 with it, it takes the price up by thousands - instead of the $1400 price tag. (when you add in all the holes drilled, overflow boxes etc etc, it comes to $2000) I ran into the same issue...I wanted 130x36x36 but not for THEIR price. I HAD to go with the 130x24x25.

That was a GORGEOUS birdsnest by the way, sorry to hear of it\'s fate. Keep us updated and pleeeeeeeeease fix the stand...or you might be posting in the vendor feedback section sooner than you had hoped.

H2H
Pete
Old 09/12/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Finally some pics..Looks good. I love that open room. damm it makes my 8feet long look small...NICE>>>

Glass cages told me the same thing. In my build I put my tank on top of the foam . I had to cut holes for the drains but htat was it.

130x36x36 sounds nice. Next time around I want to get something along that size. The length really makes it sweet. I really wanted a 36 wide but I was limited to ro so I stteled for a 30w.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/12/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the feedback everyone, and to 11footreefer the tank is not "floating" it has full outer perimeter bracing and three cross braces that were very thought out and strategically placed. thanks for the the input but as i have said on here several times there is always more than one right way of doing things, trust me i wouldnt have all of my time money and love for this tank just "floating" or on anything that i felt was unfit for the delicate load that is sitting atop of it. as i said earlier i brought in a licenced contractor for the construction. and as far as that goes the tank has been running for over 6 months and been torn down and moved and while it was empty i looked over this tank and stand with a fine tooth comb for any strucural defaults. but i truly thank you for your concern and look forward to seeing another 1 of these giants on here. and further more i have not or will not " bash" classcages i love their work and am nothing but ecstatic with my tank and if i ever do have a problem or if i ever want to go bigger(possibility) there is no other company i will call.
Old 09/14/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

thanks erics i really wanted a wider tank but for the price diference going that wide is incredible and then the cost to fill the space with lr and corals, plus just the space it takes up considering mine is not an inwall setup. and trust me i do love the length of this giant especially for the "cruisers" in the tank.
Old 09/14/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Its mad big, and only $2000, you lads are well lucky, my new 550L will be that much -- and it may end up being smaller if I listen to my wife (which WILL happen of course - the example being I'm not allowed to put holes in the ceiling & roof to install solatubes, my sales pitch failed it seems - have to cancel the order now....)

Enough procrastinating, I love your tank, its very beautifully laid out -- a huge amount of space for the SPS to grow out, yet leaving tons of room for the swimmers. You could do with a better camera coz I need some new desktop backgrounds.. oh and more pics in general plz.

Regards
Conor.
Old 09/17/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

thanks conorwynne it is nice and large i absolutely love it! and it is very nice to have someone from abroad complimenting my baby.
Old 09/17/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

thats huge
Old 09/17/2007, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

thanks jopo43 i love the size and one day will probly go even bigger!
Old 09/18/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

i added a small skimmer( aquasea remora) to the system last night that will be a temporary thing just because i have had a couple of acros bite the dust recently. the nice thing is even though a couple have died there are still so many that the tank is still full looking. i personaly think that they were put in too early because my water tests out perfectly and the rest are doing great. but then again that is entirely my fault. i just want to find a way to make them flourece more. any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 09/18/2007, 07:52 PM
DIY Junkie

add some T5 or VHO actinic supplemental lighting.
Old 09/18/2007, 10:04 PM
Premium Member

Nice setup!
Old 09/18/2007, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

Nice setup - wish I had the room for that tank! Keep the pics coming!
Old 09/19/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

thanks stingray and damonkey ,and jctewks im not sure if i want to add more lighting in consideration that i am already running 3- 400w and 2- 250w metal halides all 5 are 20k xm bulbs so i dont really know if actinics would even change the coloration much, i may look into it or pull sum vho off of one of my other tanks just to try it because i have thought the same thing , but i am afraid i would have to burn a ton of them to get any real results
Old 09/19/2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Are you going to stay skimmer less? Or just use a small skimmer?

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/20/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

hey erics3000 i am not sure if i will remove it or if i will just keep that one running i love the idea of a skimmerless tank as the one at my work is and has never looked better. my initial thoughts are to run the skimmer for a while until everything balances out and the cheato takes off and the other algaes take root and start growing in. just because the tank has had a slight murk to it and within 1 day of turning the skimmer on i could notice a slight difference. and im sure that as soon as the algaes take hold it will keep it as clear if not clearer than the skimmer
Old 09/20/2007, 03:42 PM
Keeper of Tangs

sweet full tank shot!!! looks awesome!
Old 09/20/2007, 03:58 PM
DIY Junkie

Do you or are you planning on runnin carbon or ozone to help with yellow water?
Old 09/20/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

jctewks i am running about 3 lbs of carbon and there is no yellow tint in the water that has never been a problem just a slight murk to the water wich is all but gone with the use of the skimmer. thor32766 thanks for the compliment it always makes me glad to know people dig my tank.