Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Well my 90g is built in to a custom piece of furniture, with cabinets on the sides, etc. so only the front panel is visible. The Vortechs are attractive because the pump will be outside of the tank, an hidden from view altogether by the cabinetry. SOUNDS perfect...but I wanted your opinions first.
Old 09/14/2007, 02:23 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Quote:
Originally posted by markandkristen
another option would be 4 modded nano tunze 6025s they produce around 1200 gph modded. almost the 16?? gph a 6060 pushes and they include the magnet.
Thats a great idea. Check out with slovan did in this thread. Three pumps and magnets for under $200.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1190982

PM him and see how he likes it so far or ask on the thread. His tank is ~130 gallons.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 09/14/2007, 02:27 PM
SPS Kibitzer

It's like comparing apples and oranges, which do you like better? I say it really just comes down to personal choice. Tunze has been in the hobby for years and has a outstanding reputation, while Vortech is relatively new, I personally use a Vortech and I love it, my corals absolutely love it and that's all that really matters to me but you can't go wrong with either product
Old 09/14/2007, 05:07 PM
Wife and dog.

I vote for Tunze for many reasons
1. They are reliable and have a proven business plan
2. The 6000 models are dropping in prices due to the new nano streams
3. The nanostream 6055 is controllable
4. The 7095 controller is awesome - so many different wave patterns
5. The Tunze's run cool with a low power consumption
6. Roger, the US president I have spoke with many times. I told him what I have in my tank, what I was trying to accomplish and he made suggestions of how to set the controller. If you do not think this is AWESOME customer service then I do not know what planet you are from!!
7. The 6000 powerhead can be upgraded with kits from Tunze to make it as powerful as the two larger models. So if you get a bigger tank, then you can just get the kit to upgrade it.
8. They are really quite.

Go Tunze!

Always accepting frags!!
Old 09/14/2007, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SptfireXIV
Considering the reliability problems associated with the Vortech's, I'd opt for the Tunze's (only I'd buy the controllable ones).

I have sent a Tunze stream pump back to Roger for warranty replacement, and I also had a problem with one of my new nano Tunze pumps. Tunze stands behind its products. I haven't dealt with VorTech customer service yet because my VorTech pumps produce as advertised. I am sure Tunze and VorTech would stand behind it products....would expect nothing less from either company. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. You can't go wrong with either pump. That is why I use both pumps on my system. Is there a better powerhead on the market today for reef aquariums besides Tunze or VorTech?
Old 09/14/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

I think both companies have excellent customer service. I had an issue with my battery back up system on my vortech. I sent an email to tunze and within 1 week I had a brand new replacement show up on my doorstep.
The same thing has happened with tunze. I had a problem with my osmolator pump and with one simple email the unit was replaced free of charge.
Bottom line is both companies will have issues with their products, but both will help you out if something goes wrong.
Looks is the most important factor between the two. Also, the wider flow pattern in vortech is the next most important issue. Otherwise, its all personal preference.
Old 09/14/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I use three Tunze 6045 nanostream pumps on my 50g QT tank. I would add a forth pump for a 90g reef, but as Fliger suggested above, it is a good alternative. Based on personal experience, I prefer the Tunze 6045 nanostream over the larger Tunze 6060 (non controllable) pump. The nanostream pumps produce a more gentle flow, like VorTech, but on a smaller scale.

Old 09/16/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

tunze
Old 09/16/2007, 06:53 PM
clownfish fan

nano streams are nothing compared to vortech

vortech is great
Old 09/16/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

vortech
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 09/17/2007, 07:33 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

This comparison always sparks interesting debate, no matter what forum it is started in.

I am convinced that the "best" option between Tunze and VorTech is both.

I started using a VorTech with a 6000 in my 75 and now use the VT with two 6100s in my 120, the interplay of the flow is remarkable. I use the nano streams in my fuge and frag tank and they are great too. Each pump offers a different flow that fits in a different spot in any given system.

They are both quality products with quality product support.

I am on the list for the new VT controller and will choose my pump combo for my new 220 based on that controller. I'll probably use a VT (maybe 2) with 3-4 6100s, with a nano stream here and there in the rockwork in the 220.

Don't fight the harmony of diversity, it's inevitable
Old 09/17/2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Do I need to worry about these powerful pumps blowing sand all around my tank? I was plannnig on getting oolite sand, as I like the ultrafine look. Will that be a constant problem?
Old 09/17/2007, 09:15 AM
Resident physicist.

quick answer, absolutely you need to worry.
Old 09/17/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

So.......does the problem go away if I use a larger substrate? What works best, without using crushed coral? (it turns green and I hate it)
Old 09/17/2007, 12:09 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bax
This comparison always sparks interesting debate, no matter what forum it is started in.

I am convinced that the "best" option between Tunze and VorTech is both.

this is very true i use both they compliment eachother really
Old 09/17/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEDGE2k1
Do I need to worry about these powerful pumps blowing sand all around my tank? I was plannnig on getting oolite sand, as I like the ultrafine look. Will that be a constant problem?
I think this depends on the positioning of your pumps. If you point them across the length of your tank and have them somewhat high up on the glass, you are less likely to have issues. I have sugar fine sand in my tank and my vortech only moved it around minimally when I first turned it on. Now the sand stays put, unless of course a fish stirs it up for some reason.
Old 09/17/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

I love the flow of the VT. But, does anyone with problem of VT stopping b/c of alignment issue? I can feel some clicking on the housing and it runs hot. Should I be concerned?