Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/15/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Aiptasia

I purchased some live rock today for my new 20 gallon set up. One of the smaller rocks has some aiptasia on it and I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of them without blasting them with kalk?
Old 09/15/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

pepperment shrimp. works every time.
Old 09/15/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

ive been having a aiptasia problem myself, i got a hypodermic needle at walgreens for .30 cents and have been using lemon juice to kill the big ones, works pretty well if you can acctually stab them, the heads jus fall off, i went a bought two peppermint shrimps today so hopefull yhey will be gone soon. one of the pepps has eggs too
Old 09/15/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Do you think scrubbing the areas with it with some sort of brush would get rid of it? I'd rather be able to get rid of it now while it is still isolated onto one rock.
Old 09/15/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

taking it out and scrubbing is good just dont do it in the tank cuz all the little pieces will reproduce.i also used a soldering iorn on larger ones when i first got the rock worked great! just make sure you rinse any little pieces off
Old 09/15/2007, 11:31 PM
Aquarium Addict

Peppermint Shrimp.
Old 09/16/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

if they are small aiptasia then i say get a couple pepermint shrimp and let them eat it! alot less work.
Old 09/16/2007, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

Alright, thanks for all the help =). I just got the rock in the tank today (all bought from LFS) and it had been in their tanks for a month or so, so in about 2 weeks ill add a couple pepperment shrimp.
Old 09/16/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

if its a small rock...take it out and burn it off with a candle lighter. I did that and it never came back.
Old 09/17/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

I would also go with peppermint shrimps