Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/15/2007, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by customcolor
as long as your tank is higher than the sump (which it will be) you whould have no problems with the water stoping to flow.
I'm no expert, but I don't think this is right - unless you have a full siphon. Without a siphon, if the pipe rises, it will require the velocity generated in the initial vertical drop to climb the pipe. Perhaps it wouldn't stop flowing, but it might not provide adequate flow...

Are you guys aware of anyone that has run their plumbing inisde their air ducts?
Old 09/15/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

yep, RCS (Fred). He's not on now, but hopefully he'll throw his .02 in when he is...

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 09/15/2007, 06:10 PM
Brighter the better

his sump will be in the basement so he will have plenty of siphon from the initial vertical drop and it is a reef ready tank
Old 09/17/2007, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Here is a good thread on the issue:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1030643
Old 09/22/2007, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Anyone know of a link that will show me a big rubbermaid tank being used as a sump and will show me how to baffle or channel the water correctly through it? I have two cannister filters right now and want to put one of these in. I'm dead set on doing this, but I am having a hard time understanding what I need to do "IN" the sump. Also, I will be transfering everything out of my 125 gal. display to a 50 gal and 40 gal breeder so I can drill the display. Jason, I know you are good at drilling tanks. Would you be willing to drill mine for some frags? I need to order a return pump, can a return pump be too big? I dont know what the distance will be exactly yet because I am out of town but I think it will be about 10' below the tank and about 10' to the side of it. Probably about 15'-20' of return line from the basement going to tank at a 45 degree angle. I would like to order a pump now so I have everything ready to make this happen in a day. I have a skimmer on order, just need a pump, everything else I assume I can buy at Fleet Farm. Any pump brands I should not consider or consider? Thanks
Old 09/22/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

you talking about those nice big rubbermaid stock tanks from fleet farm and such? every thread i've seen on them makes it sound difficult to bond to them. plus there is hardly any parallel walls in them. I had a link to one decent thread, but can't find it now. i'm about to do the same thing to one of those tanks any day now.
Old 09/22/2007, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I haven't decided on what size to get. couple of 40 gal. or go with 100 gal. I've pretty much figured out I want to buy either a Sequence pump or a Panworld. I can guess what my head loss will be roughly so I figure I will order a pump that I know will be more than enough but I still don't know if it is possible to have too big of a pump. That be the case, I guess I will have to narrow down the head loss accurately. I'd like to know if it is ok to have more pump than needed so I can order it now and have it be at my home when I get there next week.
Siropa, nice inwall build, looks pretty good so far.
Old 09/22/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Yes - the pump can be too big. It can potentially flow so much faster than your drain that it could run itself near dry. Also, you have to consider how much flow your outlet port(s) can handle. In my case, I am using a seaswirl, so too much flow is a problem.

I am looking at about 16' of vertical head, 40' horizontal and some misc fittings. I chose a Reeflo Sequence Wahoo. The Panworld/Blueline 70HD was my second choice. The head loss calc on the front page is a great tool and will remind you about the importance of the diameter of your return pipe.

I am also using a Rubbermaid sump. I purchased a 100 gal stock tank. I think only the 100 gal and up are drilled and have a bulkhead. You can of course drill the smaller ones though.

On my way to Lowes for all of the plumming stuff!

jeff
Old 09/22/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

So Holly says, didn't you post our basement sump pics last night? I say yes...guess they didn't take.

So here we go again:

As I said before, we are going to run the tubing through the cold air return duct. We are going to use 1.5" Spa Flex for the overflow and 1" for the return tube.

Here's a pic of the duct...not that special.

Here's our overall setup for the sump area. The top right acrylic tank will be the fuge, where we will have chaeto. Next to that is the top-off container. The sump itself is 100g and will have a DSB and LR in it, as well as the majority of the equipment such as skimmer, etc.

Fuge

Top-Off (holds 13g of water)

Sump

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 09/22/2007, 04:41 PM
SEAS President

My new basement setup:

The last pic is a 55g,. I am using it to hold my LR right now, but it will be my refugium, and IS drilled. The end caps of most 55g's are not tempered... but the rest is..

And it will be feeding this:

Triggerjay
Old 10/19/2007, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

I think I am ready to put in a sump as I've been ordering components for it over the past few weeks. Drilling the tank is not an option for me right now as it is up and running and there is too much stuff in there to empty it to drill it. I've been thinking of putting in an external overflow box but this whole sump deal is new to me as I've been using canister filters and doing constant water changes over the past few years. My first and most important question is that is there an overflow box that is low risk of losing siphon? What would the best one be? What size overflow will I need and will I need 1 or 2? My tank is a 125 gal. and will be using a 100 gal container as a sump. Your help is greatly appreciated