Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/22/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

28 gal JBJ Nano - HQI

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_in...4f7d81a0b42d08

What are your thoughts on this guy (JBJ 28gal)? I had a 75 gal I got rid of and like to continue with something smaller.
Old 04/22/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

I have mine preordered already, as soon as I get it and ship it up I will gladly give you feed back. I went ahead and got a 1/15 hp chiller for it as well because it has to get hot in that closed canopy.
Old 04/22/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

EnzoRocks, I pre-ordered a 28gal JBJ nano hqi also. They tell me they should ship first or second week of May. Jbjnanocubes.com has them for ~$400 something: I noticed the price went up on their site, last I checked. The price was $450 + free shipping a couple of weeks ago. I didn't order the chiller: gonna see how much heat is dissipated from open back overflow compartment and maybe try aquaclear filter refugium mod found here on reefcentral. I will post here when arrives.
Old 04/23/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

I just checked jbjnanocubes.com and couldn't find the 28 gal...am I missing something?
Old 04/23/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Disregard...I needed to put an S at the end of the address...
Old 04/23/2007, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

I've seen a demo up a running. Temp, the biggest potential issue, supposedly has held steady in the low 80's with just the stock fans. Not sure about the skimmer. Stand is crap like other JBJ models but it's a nice all-in-one unit.
Eat them up, yum!
Old 04/23/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

i have an aquapod 24g and a nanocube 12g, IMO the aquapod produces more light and a nanocube is better built, you get 3 chambers in the back the lgithing is better mixed its day light actinic daylight actinic, both are nice tanks though. GL
Old 08/28/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

I ordered mine a couple days ago and It will be here in a couple days, I think this will be a great setup.
Old 08/29/2007, 04:36 PM
clams are your friends.

Got one on the way as well. I also ordered the actinic PC retrofit kit from nanotuners.com so I'm not relying on the MH for all the lighting. Gonna be the new home for my maroon clown pair, eventually adding an anemone. I was planning on setting up a 40 breeder but saw these and realized I'd be saving hundreds of dollars going the all in one route. My first tank was a 12gal NC and I loved it so I'm excited about this one.

Any comments from people who've already set their's up?
Old 08/31/2007, 12:29 PM
clams are your friends.

Bumping this one up....can't believe more people haven't set these up yet. It's gotta be the best product of the year!

I just got mine yesterday and installed the nanotuners actinic PC retrofit last night. Actually quite easy, and I'm not a DIY guy, especially when it comes to electrical stuff. I'm just waiting for the stand to arrive from the ebay slacker I bought it from, then it's time to set up & cycle!
Old 08/31/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

I have had mine up for over a month now and I think I am coming up on two months soon. I was one of the first to get it and so far I like it. I turned the center compartment into a refugium and that is working out well so far. I did put a chiller on it and that is about the only changes I made. I have coralline growing already on the back and the rocks are getting covered. Tank is doing well.
Old 08/31/2007, 04:44 PM
clams are your friends.

Cool, zimmy, can you show or explain how you converted the center compartment into a fuge? It was the first thing I thought when I took it out of the box and looked at it last night and saw the back was clear.
Old 08/31/2007, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

I bought the LED 3.1 light system from Nanotuners. I used the included velcro and stuck it on the back of my system. That was all . Working out well but I should of bought the 5.1 (5 LED system). More light and the back is big.

Paul
Old 09/04/2007, 11:23 AM
clams are your friends.

I have a light I can set on the back, but what do you have in the back to create the fuge? Just macro or have you set it up with some substrate? Just curious how to isolate a "fuge" since the overflow seems to open directly to the pump compartments.
Old 09/04/2007, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

LR rubble is working out well for me at the bottom.
Old 09/04/2007, 03:58 PM
clams are your friends.

ahh, so you just removed the entire filter basket thing and dropped rubble in the bottom?
Old 09/04/2007, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

I actually cut off the bottom two parts of the filter box and left the top part available in case I want to put anything in it. I currently have the sponge in it and clean it out every couple of days before it causes my nitrates to spike (I like to catch any excess food or particles that would just collect at the bottom of my refugium which would cause me more problems).
Old 09/04/2007, 04:05 PM
clams are your friends.

ok, cool...thanks for the explanation & info. I might give this a try.
Old 09/04/2007, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Hey seapug,

Do you notice a different with the PC actinic? I was thinking of getting the retro kit myself. How long did it take you to setup? Do your corals pop a bit more? I am currently using the Phoenix 14k bulb which is much better then the bulb that comes with the system but I don't have a sunrise/sunset cycle on my tank. I am also thinking of using the "skimmer" chamber for a skimmer instead of the pump that I put in there for my chiller. I would instead take one of the wavemaker pumps and plug it into the chiller and turn off the wavemaker. I do like the wavemaker but I was thinking I could just buy a Tunze NanoStream and put that in my tank. I am not sure if having a tank this small do I really need a skimmer..wouldn't five gallon water changes weekly do the trick along with my chemi-pure/purigen/refugium I have going? I do want SPS in the future. I am fairly patient this time around so I am not in a rush but of course I like having everything "perfect".

Paul
Old 09/05/2007, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
Bumping this one up....can't believe more people haven't set these up yet. It's gotta be the best product of the year!

I just got mine yesterday and installed the nanotuners actinic PC retrofit last night. Actually quite easy, and I'm not a DIY guy, especially when it comes to electrical stuff. I'm just waiting for the stand to arrive from the ebay slacker I bought it from, then it's time to set up & cycle!
I did the same thing, the nanotuners mod.

I plan on a sps tank, so hopefully this will add more color to the tank. And here is my 28g hqi build thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 09/05/2007, 02:17 PM
clams are your friends.

Zimmy, I haven't even set the tank up yet. The stand was just delivered this morning so I'm planning on getting it up and running this evening. Re: Actinics-- I run MH and PC actinics on my 90 and really notice improved colors with the actinics, so I assume it'll be a similar effect with the retrofit. Looks super bright when I tested them after the install. I like doing the sunset/sunrise cycle as well. I like experimenting with different MH bulbs so I'm sure I'll be swapping out the stock bulb before long, too.

The actinic retrofit kit took me about 1 1/2 hours to install, but I was slow and careful so I'm sure it could be done much quicker by a more confident/competent DIY person. As far as your idea for removing the skimmer goes, it would be worth a try. I'm curious about how well the stock skimmer works. The first tank I had was a 12 gal NC DX that I ran without a skimmer and it was beautiful as long as I kept up with the water changes.

Eel-byte, got your link. Thanks.
Old 09/14/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

It's a great tank, I just need the money to buy one