Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 03:19 PM
espyesitis sufferer

'07 Regional Club Frag Swap in Dixon- Guidelines & Bonus Round Consideration

Please bring your corals:

1) Pre-fragged
Preferably, pre-fragged with enough time to encrust/attach onto something. If the frags you are bringing are fresh cut, please frag the coral the night before to give the frag time to stop sliming and sloughing, and to improve survivability before packing it to bring to the swap.

2) In a plastic container or double bagged
I highly recommend the Rubbermaid TakeAlongs containers and the clear plastic containers sold at BAR meetings. Double bagged LFS bags are fine as well, but please NO ziploc bags.

3) Labeled
Please do your best to label each frag with a Sharpie. Please include the frag’s common name and/or scientific name, brief tank placement description (i.e. low, 250W), and your RC handle.

I also suggest you bring some kind of ice chest/cooler for the corals that you pick during the swap. Blue LED flashlights are also handy for quick decision making.

Pick Order (please note the slight change with the Bonus Round)
Each participant will be given a nametag and Letter, which will be the group with whom you’ll pick with.
Corals will be grouped according to type.
Groups will rotate through the picking area with each person picking 1 coral.
Bonus ticket holders will pick first in each round.
The order of groups picking will go up, then down. For example, if there are 3 groups the order would be:

Bonus, A, B, C

Bonus, C, B, A

Bonus, A, B, C

Bonus round/bonus tickets
Bonus tickets are obtained by bringing 'rare' corals, or by bringing multiple other corals. For each Bonus ticket, you get one pick in a Bonus round which is in place of your normal picking group in that round. If you have multiple bonus tickets, you can only use one in each bonus round. Once you are out of bonus tickets, you will revert to your regular picking group for the next round. If a bonus round has too many people in it, it will be split into two just to make the picking area less frantic.

Here are examples of how the bonus tickets will be distributed:

2 'rare' frags = 1 bonus ticket

12 common frags = 1 bonus ticket

15 common frags = 1 bonus ticket

24 common frags = 2 bonus tickets

15 common frags + 1 rare frag = 1 bonus ticket

12 common frags + 2 rare frags = 2 bonus tickets

4 rare frags = 2 bonus tickets

Last edited by Unarce; 09/13/2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09/13/2007, 03:40 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Just a few notes:

Mark (Marko9) will also be an arbiter of rare for this thread. He's also powerfully built like me, and can just as well take any jabs regarding our decision making process

There are quite a few ways to look at what will be considered for Bonus Round tickets; rares, collectible, limited edition, etc.

For example most pieces from Steve Tyree's Limited Edition (LE) and Auction Edition (AE) lists would be shoe-ins. However, there are some exceptions considering our area, that would not qualify (i.e. Steve Elias Staghorn or Idaho Grape).

Stuff that's not on any 'rare' list might also qualify, like the Oregon Tort, GARF Purple Bonsai, or Red Robin. Others that have become widespread like the Cali Tort likely won't.

We will be considering current market trends as well during our decision making. Please be prepared to present the lineage trail for any piece in question. Also, pictures do help out a lot.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions

In closing....

Old 09/13/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Does Rainbow Monti Qualify?
Old 09/13/2007, 05:02 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Yes...if the lineage can be traced back to Matt Juner's original.
Old 09/13/2007, 07:09 PM
My tank is too full

Karl- I guess this would be the place that people would also post what they are bringing; Is this true?

If so, what are you thinking about? I was thinking about frags of different species. Is this cool?

To thine own self be true
Old 09/13/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Unrarce, you could also do some drawing for bonus tickets too you know(just a couple) I though it would be cool to do since some members dont have rare stuff to bring. Just an idea to make it fun

Anyway does ponape birdnest make it to the rare list ?
Old 09/13/2007, 08:51 PM
My tank is too full

There is a lot of ponape around. I would put it in the same class as a rainbow monti though. Lets play that one by ear.

Old 09/13/2007, 09:20 PM
Makin it Rain

Karl/Mark
How about Ponape Toarch,Sunset,LE Super Blue Tenuis, ATL Tar heel Stag,Hulk Acro, ATL Shades of Fall acro Nasuta, LE Bali Tricolor?
Old 09/13/2007, 10:18 PM
My tank is too full

Quote:
Originally posted by brianbigoats
Karl/Mark
How about Ponape Toarch,Sunset,LE Super Blue Tenuis, ATL Tar heel Stag,Hulk Acro, ATL Shades of Fall acro Nasuta, LE Bali Tricolor?
I would say any of the above.

Old 09/13/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

How many bonuse tickets can one get?
Old 09/13/2007, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Mark...check with Karl on the Ponape Birdsnest and finalize decision when you can. He told me via PM it would be a rare category for sure. Either way I'll be bringing a frag or two of it . He never got back to me on my Jesus stag(an old Exotic Corals Tubs piece).
Old 09/13/2007, 10:57 PM
My tank is too full

Then it sounds like we will have plenty of birdsnest I'll ask about the Jesus stag. I know the one you are talking about.

Old 09/14/2007, 12:28 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
by northbay-reefer
Unrarce, you could also do some drawing for bonus tickets too you know(just a couple) I though it would be cool to do since some members dont have rare stuff to bring. Just an idea to make it fun

Anyway does ponape birdnest make it to the rare list ?
Qualifying for the Bonus Round isn't limited to just rare/collectible corals. You can also garner Bonus Tickets from the number of frags that you bring (see first post). This way, we encourage people to bring more of everything, which worked out really well in last years Regional.

I'll be allowing the LE Ponape Birdsnest for this swap, but probably for the last time. As mentioned, it's been spread out quite a bit in Northern California.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:33 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
There is a lot of ponape around. I would put it in the same class as a rainbow monti though. Lets play that one by ear.
This is a tough call, as the Ponape doesn't have clones everywhere like the Rainbow or Superman for example. I'd still allow the LE versions of the latter, since the aquaculture/mariculture versions of those montis mostly don't hold their color well.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:40 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by brianbigoats
Karl/Mark
Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
I would say any of the above.
Agree...I can't believe there's going to be a Hulk at the swap! That's freakin' exciting.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:46 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
How many bonuse tickets can one get?
You'll get as many as you qualify for. However, they're only good while supply lasts, which will depend on how many frags are brought and the number of rounds it'll take to move them all.

I don't think it'll be a problem, though. I'm not sure if Jordan still has the pics, but I think we had about 6 tables full of frags stacked on top of eachother last year. Considering that most people used the tiny plastic containers, that's A LOT of eye candy to sort through
Old 09/14/2007, 12:49 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
Mark...check with Karl on the Ponape Birdsnest and finalize decision when you can. He told me via PM it would be a rare category for sure. Either way I'll be bringing a frag or two of it . He never got back to me on my Jesus stag(an old Exotic Corals Tubs piece).
Sorry about that, Alicia. YES on that Jesus stag! He's got to find a name for that thing. It's effn' gorgeous!
Old 09/14/2007, 12:51 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Let's see some softies and LPS, everyone. I know they'll be a little more challenging to determine, but they're a much bigger part of the hobby.

Old 09/14/2007, 02:08 AM
Premium Member

Something like Armor of god pallys going to be rare? The lineage goes back to New Alameda.
Or have they gotten around?
Old 09/14/2007, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Oh, also have some of the neon green cloves with the orange tips...I got them at your reef, believe the originated from atlantis.

And what about the little blue snowflake cloves not sure what they called them anymore.
Old 09/14/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I'll be allowing the LE Ponape Birdsnest for this swap, but probably for the last time. As mentioned, it's been spread out quite a bit in Northern California. [/B]
Cool, I'll bring couple frags of the birdnest to the swap
Old 09/14/2007, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted
Oh, also have some of the neon green cloves with the orange tips...I got them at your reef, believe the originated from atlantis.

And what about the little blue snowflake cloves not sure what they called them anymore.
I have been looking for those blue snowflake cloves! It would be nice to see some of those at the swap.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef n' Madness
I have been looking for those blue snowflake cloves! It would be nice to see some of those at the swap.
I got a small half inch frag of the little blue snowflakes a few months ago, and they seem to be a slow grower, the whole frag is about an inch total now, but the edges are sporatic polyps not a complete covering like the center is.
The center is the original frag, so I was thinking of pulling it off and glueing it to a new rock and cutting the growth in half that would put two small frags hopefully about 15 polyps or more on each half since they are tiny.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:38 PM
espyesitis sufferer

For Twisted

-That's what I was wondering, in regards to your snowflake polyps. If these are the mini cloves, a qualifying frag would have to have at least 20 polyps on it.

-The neon green cloves with the orange tips would need to have at least 4 polyps to qualify as a rare frag.

-The AoGs do appear to be widespread now, but if you have the original (can be traced back to Mr. Ugly), I'll count them at a 5 polyp minimum per frag.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:44 PM
My tank is too full

I have the green cloves with orange tips. It is a very nice coral.

I would say that the blue snowflake polyps would be a bettter qualifier just going on market prices. Are those the ones you picked up last time you were in town?