Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

I started with 2 or 3 on one rock. I didn't know they were pests. After all the attempts to get rid of them is what caused them to spread.
Old 09/12/2007, 05:02 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

They just look like a challange to me. I see a schringe full of kalk paste glistening above the water ready to strike.
Old 09/12/2007, 06:35 PM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by bob21115
[B]Here are 10 pictures of my 300 gallon tank that had over 500 majano's infesting it. I removed all soft corals I could and put in the Racoon Butterfly. After a few week there were no majano's seen and none have returned.
Do you still have the raccoon in the tank? Which raccoon did you get,Indo or Red Sea?
Old 09/12/2007, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

I don't remember which on Ill look when I get home. It died about a month after they were gone. Not sure why I don't know if he was eating but no one else died at the same time.

Quote:
Originally posted by waterfaller1
Do you still have the raccoon in the tank? Which raccoon did you get,Indo or Red Sea?
Old 09/12/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Bob

That tank was infested. My LFS had aptasia out the yazzzzo till their system fried last winter in a cold snap. Their 380 gal display got down to 65 degrees and killed off most of their critters. In the rebuild they must have introducted the manjano cause they now have a main display that looks like your tank or worse. Glad to hear your beating them. Did I mention QT if not QT QT QT. I do after my second bout with redbugs. But those were a breeze in respect to majano or aefw's.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tgfrench
Bob

That tank was infested. My LFS had aptasia out the yazzzzo till their system fried last winter in a cold snap. Their 380 gal display got down to 65 degrees and killed off most of their critters. In the rebuild they must have introducted the manjano cause they now have a main display that looks like your tank or worse. Glad to hear your beating them. Did I mention QT if not QT QT QT. I do after my second bout with redbugs. But those were a breeze in respect to majano or aefw's.
I QT now, but I didn't know at the time they were bad. I think they would have made it out of QT.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waterfaller1
It was the common one not the Red Sea.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I find it really strange that I repeatedly hear reports of butterflies eating majanos and aptasia yet I can never get them to eat the ones in my tank. I tried a double saddle butterfly fish first based on several reports of them eating these pests and being relatively safer than other butterflyfish with SPS. He never touched any of majanos. He consistently pecked at one of my favorite acros to the point that the polyps remained retracted and the coral started to loose color. I put up with this for a month before I decided he had to go.

I then tried a raccoon after seeing a video clip of one of them devouring majanos. He went strait for my SPS !!! he caused so much damage in one week that I did not have the patience to trap him. I drained the tank of water, took him out, and rapidly refilled the tank. I realize that that was probably stressful for my other fish, but I was desperate.

Does anyone know of a way to predict which butterflies are likely to eat these things (? geographic variability? size of fish? etc..)

Thanks
Old 09/12/2007, 09:27 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by cutnup
can anyone post a pic of a tank covered in mojanos?
had to do some digging to find pics but i managed to find one of the 180 i mentioned above when I'd finely just given up on it because of the damn majano and got to where i didn't even scrape the glass anymore but you can still see the little bastages all over the tank..........

and some of what i was up against before i threw in the towel

Old 09/12/2007, 09:40 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Majano anemone predator

research Centropyge bicolor
Old 09/12/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Aptasia killer

Make a solution of concentrated kalkwasser. Load into a syring. If you can get your hands on a 15-20 cm medical needle from an aquantence, even better. Fill syring and inject gently into center of disc. Cover the organism completely with the kalk. The kalk will sink and cover the aptasia, completely killing it- when the kalk clears, your pest is gone. If it returns in 6 mo. or a year, just treat again. Sooooo easy and takes only minutes, even if there are many. Treat as soon as you see one to prevent spreading to other parts of the tank.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:19 AM
Moved On

Re: Aptasia killer

Quote:
Originally posted by ssavader
Make a solution of concentrated kalkwasser. Load into a syring. If you can get your hands on a 15-20 cm medical needle from an aquantence, even better. Fill syring and inject gently into center of disc. Cover the organism completely with the kalk. The kalk will sink and cover the aptasia, completely killing it- when the kalk clears, your pest is gone. If it returns in 6 mo. or a year, just treat again. Sooooo easy and takes only minutes, even if there are many. Treat as soon as you see one to prevent spreading to other parts of the tank.
the well spoken words of someone who's never had an infestation of majano and didn't read the entire thread before commenting.
Old 09/13/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

it seems as though most people have noticed these on the rock but didnt recognize it as dangerous even thinking they were getting a free coral.therefore even a quarentine tank could not prevent it.i think ive seen people on ebay selling small anenomes similar to those.i wish we could help prevent anyone from those type of infestations.as far as a cure i would try a raccoon butterfly and hope for best.
Old 09/13/2007, 05:33 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

I think that if ou kalced everything you see in front of you, it would change the water perimeters, even if you use a tiny bit on each. You have a lot there. You can always sell them on ebay as baby anenomes like someone else did. No not even funny. Theres got to be a good option. I like the blo-torch idea. But you cant just remove rocks at your leisure.
Old 09/13/2007, 06:25 AM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by wentreefgirl
. But you cant just remove rocks at your leisure.
I do. Whenever I see certain algaes popping up I take rocks to the sink and scrub. I have also taken rocks, & just recently my crocea clam, to the sink and pick the mojanoes off with a steak knife.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JetCat USA
had to do some digging to find pics but i managed to find one of the 180 i mentioned above when I'd finely just given up on it because of the damn majano and got to where i didn't even scrape the glass anymore but you can still see the little bastages all over the tank..........

Good Lord, that's a lot of majanos. I didn't have that many but was definitely headed in this direction before I broke down the 90 gallon that they were in.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:27 AM
Sannin

funny as it may sound but I had a friend that wanted a couple majanos for his tank. Thanks god he took down his tank because he had to relocate his home otherwise the majanos would have done it for him.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

I had both aiptasia and also majano's, for aiptasia, the only thing which worked 100% was an oddball fish --> filefish.

For the majano's, I simply removed them by hand, job done.
I still have one left in my nano, and if (when) it splits, I'll remove them. I do not see them as an issue whatsoever. No kalc, no nothing, just removed by gloved fingers.

regards
Conor
Old 09/13/2007, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by conorwynne
I had both aiptasia and also majano's, for aiptasia, the only thing which worked 100% was an oddball fish --> filefish.

For the majano's, I simply removed them by hand, job done.
I still have one left in my nano, and if (when) it splits, I'll remove them. I do not see them as an issue whatsoever. No kalc, no nothing, just removed by gloved fingers.

regards
Conor

This did work for me also but you must get 100% of it or they grow back.
Old 09/14/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

I don't know if its true read in anothere thread that bicolor angel fish eats majano could some of you coment on this have you heared of such a thing
Old 09/15/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

I have heard and read about this fish eating majanos. The only problem is that they have a very poor survival record with most (>95%) dying within a couple of weeks in captivity. Apparently, they die despite the fact that they are eating majanos. A friend of mine has been keeping SW fish for 18 years and has tried at least 10 of them at various times. None survived.

Even if they help with my problem, I cannot find it in me to contribute to the continued collection of this fish that should be left in the ocean.
Old 09/15/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

how about just using a hammer and chisel
(was recom to me by lfs)

i just took 4 off that way...
luckily i dont have plague proportions that many have talked about. i chiseled completely around and got a clean cut of the majano... the original had split into 2 and the second one was just splitting into 2 also... i didnt see any more

i had one on a rock for probably 5 mos
never moved or spread and i thought it was just some form of aiptasia that would get eaten sooner or later by peppermints.

until i decided a couple weeks ago to remove it w/ a razor blade... then i ended up w/ 2 where the original one was and a couple that climbed or split up on another rock higher - closer to the light...

as i understand it they spread via splitting and move about the tank... i assume then they dont release spores to infect the tank that way?

the original rock (w/the majano) was near the top of the tank and only had one rock above it (the rock that got the additional majano)... wouldnt they climb higher vs lower... towards the light?

i am trying to gauge how much more of an infestation i might have to contend with on this issue and i am really hoping that it doesnt get out of hand

i just recently rockscaped and didnt notice any on the other rocks

thanks and regards
Old 09/15/2007, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Suck....I have about 5 in my tank right now. I think I will try the removal (without cutting) first.

Kris

"Yeah, and that's why you don't go swimming after you get bit by a shark"
Old 09/15/2007, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Well, that was futile. They suck up pretty tight in the rocks. Next step, Joe's Juice.

"Yeah, and that's why you don't go swimming after you get bit by a shark"
Old 09/15/2007, 11:41 PM
Calvinist

rather than cooking rock for a year (assuming there is not a nutrient issue), why not dry it, kill it, wait a bit- and then bring it back to life with some Fresh LR?