Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Help!!!! DKH=15.0 and ALK=5.37

How can I get it down??????? Will something happen to my corals?
Old 09/12/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

I doubt that is a correct reading unless you were dumping alk suppliments in the aquarium incorrectly. Try another test kit. if it is correct, you can do water changes, but it will go down on its own.
Old 09/12/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

What kit are you using to test with?

Check again as stated above.
Old 09/12/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

OK, I retested and I got the same results. I am using Salifert ALK Test kit. About a week ago I started running a CA Reactor (never ran/used one before). After it ran for a few days I tested for Allk and the readings were dKH=6.1 and ALK=2.17. I was told to shut the reactor off, so I did. Today I test the ALK and got the readings that I posted.
Old 09/12/2007, 07:41 PM
CMAS Member

A high Alk reading can usually be cured with dosing calcium directly into the tank. Be careful not to use one that has a buffering agent in it as this can also raise the alk. use something like Kent Turbo Calcium. ( I made this mistake once trying to fix a low Ph problem)

Crank the calcium up to 450- 500 and the alk will come down over a day or so.

Your reactor will not be able to do this. Dosing works better and faster.

Are you monitoring the Ph of the fluid coming out of your reactor?

-=E=-
Old 09/12/2007, 07:44 PM
CMAS Member

Also, there is a great article on this very topic in Reef Keeping magazine (part 3 of Aquarium chemistry). The article reference this article which tells you how to fix this.

The article was written by Randy Holmes-Farley who happens to spend a lot of time on this website.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

-=E=-
Old 09/12/2007, 07:56 PM
Nothing to put here

There was a recent bad batch of salifert kits that were reading extremely high. That might be it.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem awhile back caused by adding to much Kent buffer to raise PH. I brought Ca and alk back inline by adding 3 teaspoons of Kent Turbo Calcium (calcium chloride) to 8 ounces of RO water and mixing then adding it to the tank daily. I have a 75 gal. It took about week to balance the Ca and alk. Make sure you let the mixture cool before adding it to your tank. If you've been dosing kalkwasser, stop until you balance Ca and alk.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

I will purchase the Kent Turbo Calcium tomorrow. I haven't been dosing anything but calcium with a reactor. I have stoped using it for about 3-4 days now. Thanks for the link.
Old 09/12/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Are you using RO/DI water? I used a cheap RO filter for awhile, only to find out it did not remove alkalinity. The water was going in so high on the alk chart, that by the time the salt and the water mixed, I was going in at 15dkh. I now use strictly RO/DI, and have not had a problem since. Apparently something to do with the aquifers here in FL, just a shot in the dark.....

Also agree w/ some of the previous statements about Salifert, some of the tests have apparently been suspect to inaccurate readings

JMO..... Good luck....
Old 09/12/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Just let it come down naturally. There is really nothing wrong with a dKH of 15.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Yes I am using RO/DI. Always have been. All this started happening as soon as I started using the calcium reactor. I have never used one before.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:16 PM
Nothing to put here

You need to be testing alk every day when you are dialing in the reactor. Generally you want the pH at a certian point depending on what media you run, and adjust the drip rate to control how much you are dosing.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:01 AM
lift it up tallways

When you 'cure' high alk by adding lots of calcium, all you're doing is encouraging calcium carbonate deposits. Pump impellers and heaters will receive a coat of calcium carbonate. Not good for either.

Whatever your supplement strategy is, leave the ALK part out until it lowers to an acceptable level. Continue to buffer Ca at the regular daily level until your Alk is spot on. Then continue to dose Ca and Alk at balanced proportions. If you're using a reactor, turn off the CO2 for a few days and buffer just the calcium component with Calcium buffer (buffer, don't raise calcium). I would recommend turbo calcium for this.

Chaseracing posted an excellent link. You're in zone 3. The article, however, does not recommend to raise calcium to correct this, but rather, maintain your calcium level while excluding the daily alk buffer.

A bit of record keeping, some daily tests and you'll be back on track in no time.

-E.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Just let it come down on its own.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:07 AM
lift it up tallways

Quote:
Originally posted by HDAlien
Just let it come down on its own.
Actually, this is the safest bet.

Once it's at an acceptable level, then buffer calcium, then continue with a balanced additive (reactor).