Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/07/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I love DIYing, i just need to know where to get the best parts now... i have one that was modded... just need to fix it.
Old 09/07/2007, 04:05 PM
Moved On

towerhobbies.com for carbon fiber rods, propellers, etc...

mcmaster.com for the stainless steel rods and SCH80 PVC pipes

LFS should have rigid tubing (3/16")

The rest should be found at your local hardware stores (Lowe, Home Depot, Ace, etc...)
Old 09/07/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

May have to order myself one or 4 of those , I will get back to the thread at some point D , think theres been another 1 or 2 million posts to mull through since I was last hear 7 thats just this thread lol.

Mine are still running & are quieter than the 6100 I have which I have also modded BTW .
Old 09/07/2007, 06:44 PM
Moved On

Long time no see Frunkster, I hope things are well on your side of the pond. I just ordered 2 of these myself to test out.

Spoke with Jeremy from PA about them and it appears that the shroud's inside diameter is a bit over 2 inches so plenty of room to switch out to a larger propeller if needed.
Old 09/07/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Any idea how they have approached the stopper?, & don't ask D, just had to strip down & do a rebuild single handed, never again lol
Old 09/07/2007, 08:28 PM
Moved On

Rebuilding your tank or your bike (I used to be a bike mechanic ages ago ya know)? And you did it in the nude (re: strip down) ??? Good lord.

Glad to see you back Frunkster.

I did read that there is a stopper built in so we'll have to see how it is once the 2 I ordered arrive.
Old 09/07/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

so is there a best mod site to buy from, the mjmods.com seems to not want your business unless you are buying $1000 worth
Old 09/07/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

the premium aquatics peice looks good and it comes assembled... another nice thing about...
Old 09/08/2007, 08:36 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by thecichlidpleco
so is there a best mod site to buy from, the mjmods.com seems to not want your business unless you are buying $1000 worth
Sorry, I still have the site up for parts but we are shutting down www.mjmods.com . I don't have time to build them anymore and the new sure flow product looks like a good alternative already made product that can be sold cheaper : )
Old 09/08/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Glad I got my props last week. I had been putting it off for a long time. I like the medium flow prop better than the high flow. Just seems to work better in my situation.
Old 09/12/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

I've been running a moded 1200 for about a year now with a nitro hammer prop how much more flow can i get if i change to a dumas 3004 I believe I read?Thanks.
Old 09/13/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
Have you guys seen this kit?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=Maxijet

It looks very promising. The design looks well built and it is cheap to boot. I might just have to order a couple to test out.

D.
did you get to order them and tried them out? i want to see what your comments are. looking to get two of them for mj1200 on a 75 gal tank. i have 4 mj1200 so i dont know if i need to mod all 4 or just the 2 on the ends.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:22 AM
Moved On

mine are suppose to be here tomorrow so we'll see
Old 09/14/2007, 04:39 PM
Moved On

Ok my kits arrived and here are my thoughts good and bad on them.

Good:

- They seem well built and sturdy
- They look nice (finished product so to speak)
- They included the impeller magnet which I did not expect to find
- There is a stopper tab built in into the shroud to prevent reverse spinning.

Bad:

- The one piece propeller/shaft. Why reinvent the propeller? Why not make the shaft separate allowing the propeller to be removed and replaced? This would allow much greater versatility not to mention flow options for the user.

- The shaft is built specifically for a MJ400 or MJ600 impeller magnet only so if you have a MJ900 or MJ1200 magnet you want to use you won't be able to.

- The propeller blades are a tad too thick IMO and could cause more vibration and noise than would a typical RC boat propeller. Infact when my own modded MJ impeller magnet is used with an Octura 1435 propeller it becomes much smoother and quieter.

Overall I think it's a good product but could use a few design imrpovements as per the above.

The flow is decent (about 1500gph ish eq. to an Octura 1435 propeller) but nothing to go WOW about especially for those of you who are used to the MJ1200 highflow mods.

What I did was simply replace the kit's impeller magnet/shaft with my own modded MJ1200 impeller and a Dumas 3004 propeller and this thing is sweet. Much more flow than the stock kit and very simple to do.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:04 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

So, in the end, all you use from the kit is the shroud?

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 09/14/2007, 05:18 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
So, in the end, all you use from the kit is the shroud?

The shroud and the swivel mount (which IMO is very well built and nice BTW...)

Don't get me wrong for medium flow (1500gph ish or so), this mod would be perfect

I just prefer more flow that the kit can provide.

I think the shroud and the swivel mount alone is worth the $20 they are charging IMO. The shroud as everyone who have done this DIY knows is the most difficult part of it all and I think they have done a very professional job designing it in this kit.
Old 09/15/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

dhnguyen,

I just bought 2 sure flow mods and 2 dumas props for my 2 mj-1200's. What else do I need and how do I do it to get these maxed.
Old 09/15/2007, 08:24 PM
Moved On

cweder

Since you want to use the Dumas 3004 props, you will need to mod your MJ1200 impeller magnets. The kits' magnets will not be able to spin the large Dumas props.

To mod your MJ1200 impellers you will also need some 3/16" rigid airline tubing, that black vinyl airline that came with the original Maxijet.

- Cut the rigid tube to be about 1.125" or so (or just enough to match the length of the kit's impeller and shaft/prop assembly)

- Glue the Dumas prop onto the end of the rigid tube.

- Cut about 3/4" section from the black vinyl tube and use that to hold the rigid tube and MJ1200 magnet together. It may take some elbow grease to get everything on and fit tightly.

That's it really then just take one of the black/red end cap off the kit's impeller shaft and replace the impeller magnet with your modded MJ1200 magnet. You're done.
Old 09/15/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

So I dont have to buy anything else...new magnets or anything? How much of an improvement over the sure flow 1600 can I expect?

I may as well ask for a pic or two if you have them, that would really make this easy.

Thanks!

Last edited by cweder; 09/15/2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09/16/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

did everyone see this thread I posted.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1207745
Old 09/16/2007, 01:41 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by cweder
So I dont have to buy anything else...new magnets or anything? How much of an improvement over the sure flow 1600 can I expect?

I may as well ask for a pic or two if you have them, that would really make this easy.

Thanks!

Check out reefvideos.com under the DIY Maxi-Stream for how to mod the impeller. The only difference is that you should use the black airline the came with the original Maxijet instead of the clear airline in the vid. The black tube is much tougher and won't fail like the clear airline.

My camera's batteries are being recharged but if I get a chance later I'll snap a pic of the modded impeller.

Just make sure your modded MJ1200 impeller is the same length as the one form the kit and you are set.
Old 09/16/2007, 05:54 PM
Moved On

I moved my tank over to the opposite of the room to get ready for the new 125g setup. While at it I also rearranged the rockwork and made a quick vid of the MJ mod in my tank.

Not bad for only one MJ1200

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...ntitled2-1.flv
Old 09/17/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Here is the mj 900 I just made this week end. what do you thank?[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/17/2007, 06:05 PM
Moved On

Looks good, very clean cuts too. Only thing I could suggest is more inlet slots so that you can increase the flow even further.
Old 09/17/2007, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

what do i do to make it start in the right direction?

I tried it in my 46g and I thought I was going to move the rocks with this thing. I going to save it for my 75g when I get it going.