Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

yeah I pulled the rock, but kept it over the top of the tank to dip quickly if I were cooking close to a coral. I wish there was a way to burn them under the water though!!
Old 09/09/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Recticed butterfly was the only "Thing" that rid me of my Mojano problem.
Old 09/10/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JetCat USA
on the tank or the cooking rock????

tank = 20% every two weeks
cooking = 100% monthly
On the cooking rock, why 100% (lots that dies of) ?
do you change that amount the entire time one year,
or just until the worst die of is finished?
thanks for your reply!
Old 09/10/2007, 08:44 AM
Moved On

i do 100% when cooking to keep nutrients at an absolute minimum. when just cooking to remove excessive nutrients that have accumulated in rock i let water testing determine when i do the water changes.

to rid the system of the majanos i did it every month, i didn't want the little bastages to have any available nutrients, i wanted to make dang sure they didn't survive.
Old 09/10/2007, 10:44 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Well what seems to have killed the majanos I could get to was using a salifert syringe while the pumps were off to put a large pile of kalk paste (full 1ml) on each majono. I did it WITHOUT touching the majano to make it close up. After putting the pile of kalk on it, after about 2-3 mins it will close up around the pile of kalk. I then took another syringe and injected lemon juice into the side of the big bulb of majono after it closed around the kalk. This seemed to work quite nicely. A couple days later I went back in the tank with some tweezers and plucked off any tissue left on the rock (only a tiny bit left). I dont see any signs that those peticular majonos will ever come back. Now the ones behind the rock that I cant get to.... those are going to be a problem . I guess I will just have to continue to keep killing the ones I can get to.
Old 09/10/2007, 10:50 AM
Moved On

Horace

the good thing (if there really is a good thing) about majano is they aren't like Aiptasia whereas any tissue left will regenerate, once you kill it, it's dead you don't have to pluck it with the tweezers. i used a #11 X-acto blade glued on the end of a skewer and stabbed it into the middle of them and twist it up like you would spaghetti, it'll kill them and they won't regenerate but as you said, it does nothing for the ones you can't get to. the stab and twist worked better when i was trying to control them then anything else, as the Kalk injections drove pH through the roof i had so many of them at one time.
Old 09/10/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

I had mojano problem in my 180 years ago when my tank was grossly neglected. The things multiplied into thousands in my tank. What I did was taken the rock out starting one side of the tank, and start with one rock at a time. Removed the majono manualy using a bone cutter making sure to take a bit of the rock at the base to make sure the whole anemony was removed. The hard to get to place I used HOT kalk paste while leaving the rock out of the water for 1/2 hour before rinsing it and then place back into the tank. I did this religiously for weeks until all of the mojanos are gone. Their is nothing that will do the work for you so what it will take is alot of elbow greese and you just have to keep at it until they are totaly eradicated.

After the mojanos were gone, my mushrooms started to take off, 80% of my rocks were covered now that there are no mojanos to irritate them, so I had to do the same thing to get rid of the shrooms ... now my tank is full of beautiful sps
Old 09/10/2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

I started with 5 or so Majano's in my 300 gallon. After a year or so of trying to kill them, I caused them to spread to around 5000. Long story short, I removed all corals I could(Majano's were or had killed a lot of them) then I put in a Raccoon Faced Butterfly. After a week of eating all the left over button polyps he ate all the majano's in the tank in another 2 weeks.

All attempts at killing them liquid or scrapping caused them to spread. I lost the butterfly about a month after the last majano was gone. I also put a Mertensii Butterflyfish, also known as the Orangetail Butterflyfish, or Crowned Pearlyscale Butterflyfish in the tank and I saw him eating them also.
Old 09/11/2007, 04:25 AM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by mrme
Recticed butterfly was the only "Thing" that rid me of my Mojano problem.
I find no reference to this fish..is this spelled wrong?
Old 09/11/2007, 05:11 AM
green Diplo bluemouths

waterfaller-Chaetodon xanthurus
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1878
Old 09/11/2007, 05:59 AM
This is my Passion

Thanks wentreefgirl.I don't know about the whole butterfly idea, so scary. I feel the OP's pain. I have them everywhere as well. I have been doing some manual work to remove them lately. First I start with a lights off day, or two,[maybe just actinics} which seems to help move some towards the top of the tank in search of light. Then, on the day I will do some removal I do not dose CA, I do the alk part..but it seems to keep levels better if I skip the ca on that day. Then I bought one of those plastic lemon looking things with lemon juice, but it's organic. I mixed this up with ESV kalk powder, instead of water. I haven't seen them come back in the same place like I did before I started using the lemon juice instead of water. I'm just trying an all out war on them. I may not get them all, and they will most likely come back. But maybe I can just keep them back somewhat...one can only hope.
Old 09/11/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

montrealreef-
I feel your pain. I have the same problem, and it's been getting worse for years. I have some SPS, LPS, clams, and anemones. I've tried all the 'regular' cures, too. I've even injected the Majanos' with an 18g needle with Kalk, boiling Kalk, Joe's etc.
I just tried a new method, I don't know if it worked yet. It's Super Glue. Pull the rock out (if you can) and put a drop of Super Glue onto the mouth of the Majano. Put the rock back in the tank.

Those work when there's a few. Once they have a strong hold, it just doesn't seem possible to rid a tank of these pests. I don't think it's about bad water chemistry at all. Everything you do for your corals, just helps these pests to grow too! The water chemistry I have for my Purple LTA is working to fuel my Majanos.

***FWIW, I've heard Scats eat Majano's. I don't know, it's just something I've heard.

Jet seems to understand just how bad these can get... Perhaps starting with new rock, while "cooking" the old really is the only way to go. I'm starting to consider it myself.

I had considered trying those Butterfly Fish, but I would have to find new homes for my clams, LTA and RBTA.
Old 09/11/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

can anyone post a pic of a tank covered in mojanos?
Old 09/11/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

DP sorry wouldnt let me delete it
Old 09/11/2007, 07:24 PM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by cutnup
can anyone post a pic of a tank covered in mojanos?
Oh..dear..I am embarrassed...

Old 09/11/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but if you mix lemon juice (acid) and Kalk (base) shouldn't you get
salt+water+heat? won't the acid just neutralize the base?
Old 09/12/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Waterfaller- You have a beautiful tank. Great looking corals. I hope we all can find way to get rid of these pests.

I keep looking,
hoping someone will post a cure...

besides breaking down my tank, and removing every single piece LR, and all occupants. I don't have another tank, I would have to sell most all of my wet-pets.

Anyone know if those Butterfly Fish that eat Majano's will eat my LTA and RBTA? They're both pretty big, perhaps the Butterfly Fish will eat the Majano's first? I have a set of True Percs that host both nems, wouldn't this help?
Old 09/12/2007, 11:01 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by montrealreef
correct me if I'm wrong, but if you mix lemon juice (acid) and Kalk (base) shouldn't you get
salt+water+heat? won't the acid just neutralize the base?
Well i thought that as well, but the kalk is on the outside (mouth) the lemon I injected into its body.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:19 PM
clownfish fan

Jet Cat has it right these things are hard to kill i took out 90% of mine and am trying to kill the rest but i dont think i will ever kill them.... they are demons.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

I struggled with these demons for several years. Started with one, ended up with hundreds. I ended up breaking down the 90 gallon tank that they were in and started over with a 180. Nothing worked for me, including the addition of a copperband butterfly.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:37 PM
This is my Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by Klownfish
Waterfaller- You have a beautiful tank. Great looking corals. I hope we all can find way to get rid of these pests.
Thank you! It's not the worst of my troubles at this point...fighting aefw's , snails knocking my lokani down into my gonis..which fried it yesterday{ I need some epoxy!!}.... is'nt this supposed to be fun??
I hope we can find an end to all of the troubles we face with pests.
Old 09/12/2007, 12:43 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by waterfaller1

I hope we can find an end to all of the troubles we face with pests.
after learning the hard way, which i take it you're learning it that way too, the only answer is:

QT QT QT QT QT

quarantine EVERYTHING and thoroughly inspect it daily for at least two weeks before putting it into your system.
Old 09/12/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

QT. Yes, I suppose. That isn't quite how I got them. Let me explain. It sounds funny, if it isn't your tank or mistake...

I first got my Majanos on LR when I was a newbie, with a FOWLER.

They were pretty green with pink tips and purple centers.

I thought "Gee, look! I got coral!"

(Here is the part you will fall outta your chair laughing...)

I FED THEM! I didn't know what they were, and I fed them. Now, 5+ years later, I realize the error of my foolish ways...

Old 09/12/2007, 02:29 PM
Moved On

i QT any LR i get, that's the #1 path of infestation with pests of any type. i realize not everyone has the setup to do that, and most people setting up a new tank don't even give it a second thought other then 'Oh i might get a Mantis if i order from TBS' but once bitten twice shy.
Old 09/12/2007, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Here are 10 pictures of my 300 gallon tank that had over 500 majano's infesting it. I removed all soft corals I could and put in the Racoon Butterfly. After a few week there were no majano's seen and none have returned.