Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2007, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

Koralia or Tunze?

I need a couple of powerheads for my 29g, and I want some opinions.

Should I go with the Hydor Koralia or the Tunze Nanostream?

If Koralia is a viable choice, should I go with the 1 or 2? Will a couple of Tunze 6025 Nanostreams be too much flow for a 29g?

Saving for the wedding takes precedence over the 90g. Got my 29g going for now.
Old 09/04/2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Ryan,

I can't really chime in on the Tunze as I've never had one, but we actually just had this discussion with Sean yesterday while we were checking out the sale...

For the price tag, you really can't beat the Koralias as far as I'm concerned.

We have a bunch of the Koralias in the tanks - we've got some 4's in the larger tanks, a 1 in the little 5.5 nano, and we just got a 3 for in the 24 cube. We've had them for a few months now, and no real issues with them at all. They put out good flow without throwing a lot of heat into the tank (a major selling point with my nano because I was having heat issues)

We did have a 1 in the 24, but it didn't seem like quite enough flow. Because they didn't have any 2's, we got a 3 instead. It's not creating a major sand storm or vortex, but it is a LOT of flow in the 24, probably a little too much. If you're doing the Koralia route, I'd stick with a 2.

Side note and heads up, word on the street is that Koralia may not be making them anymore. Tunze is apparently accusing them of stealing their design and trying to sue them for it. Seeing that Tunze is a much larger company, this may be the last of the Koralias for now...

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.” -Theodore Geisel
Old 09/04/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mamagoose45
Side note and heads up, word on the street is that Koralia may not be making them anymore. Tunze is apparently accusing them of stealing their design and trying to sue them for it. Seeing that Tunze is a much larger company, this may be the last of the Koralias for now...
Ah...maybe that's why a few companies have them as "on backorder".

Hmmm....I'm guessing your 24g is square, whereas my 29g is rectangular. Would one K2 be sufficient across the whole tank or would you recommend two of them?

Old 09/04/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

I used to have 2 seio 820s in a 29. One was pretty good, and two worked a bit better to create some random flow. I think it kind of depends on how your rockwork is done. If you have a wall of rock all the flow basically stays in front, and I think 2 could be too much. If you have some open spots that let flow go all around the tank, then 2 might be okay. When I had my 29 with the seios, one 820 basically did fine. The cheapest route for you to go would be to try one, and if it isn't enough, get another
Old 09/04/2007, 08:56 AM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

Ryan,
Yeah, the cube is more or less square. We haven't had a 2, but judging them to be somewhere between a 1 and 3, you probably could put 2 #2's in there and just kind of point them toward each other somewhere near the middle. Depending on what you're keeping, you may not need that much flow (assuming you're also running some kind of return pump, which I'm pretty sure you are). That said, the more I mess around with flow in our tanks, the more I'm becoming certain that even LPS and softie tanks aren't harmed by higher (indirect) flow.

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 09/04/2007, 10:15 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

I have both types of powerhead and they are very different in the way they create flow in your tank. Koralias produce a very wide flow patern that is really quite different from the more directed flow of the Tunze. I have a hard time believing that there is any type of Tunze/Koralia legal issue, as these pumps are very (very) different in design.

Personally, I think it's an apple and orange comparison. Different type of flow, different price range. Basically, it depends on what type of flow you want in your tank. If you are looking for Tunze "like" flow for less, you might consider a maxi-mod or even a seio.
Old 09/04/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everybody....I decided to go with two Koralia-2's...Marine Depot had them in stock. And Jack, I got the Eheim 1250 for a return pump. Thanks for the input the other day.

Old 09/04/2007, 09:38 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Keep us updated, Ryan. I think I'm going to try to pick up two 3's for my 45.

Brandon
Old 09/04/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Will do.

Old 09/04/2007, 11:21 PM
#-_#-_ B _-#_-#

A follow up on the tunze/koralia "lawsuit":

I've been completely unable to find any hard evidence of this. Not sure if this was some type of urban legend or if it's just hushed up enough still that nothing is on the net, but I can't turn anything up. If anyone does find out more, please let me know.

In any case, they are back ordered almost everywhere.

"I want to be like captain kirk
get up every day and love to go to work
don't want to be like mr. spock
want to kick out the jams and rock the block"

-Bob Schneider
Old 09/04/2007, 11:43 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

I personally believe it would have been more swift if it were truly a patent issue, which I believe would probably be the only way they could bring it to court.

It sucks they're backordered though.

Thanks for looking, Brian.

Brandon
Old 09/05/2007, 12:02 AM
Jer

FWIW, i love the 2 koralias i have in my tank
Old 09/05/2007, 12:49 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Also, FWIW, there is supposed to be a controller coming out for them soon from Hydor. I think maybe toward the end of the year.

Brandon
Old 09/11/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I got two of the Koralia 2's for my 29g. I love them so far. They are very very quiet and move a LOT of water for what they are.

Old 09/11/2007, 04:06 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Thanks for the update, Ryan. I think I'm gonna grab two 3's for my 45 (eventually... heh).

Brandon
Old 09/11/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

I think you'll really like them. They make a bit of noise when the first come on, but after the initial 2 seconds, they don't make a sound. They wouldn't be good on a wave maker device.

Old 09/11/2007, 09:25 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Right. I've also heard they don't do well on wave makers. I have heard that they work on the Seio controller, but its around $180... so I'm gonna wait for Hydors controller (which they're not even sure when its coming out I don't think) to see if its cheaper. I'll just point them at each other from one end to the other for now.

Came into a little bit of "surprise money" today, so I may go ahead and order them sooner than expected.

Brandon
Old 09/12/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

I guess I'll have to try the Koralia 2's on my 29 as well since I have been looking for some good powerheads...

Do you have pics to see what they look like inside your tank?
Old 09/12/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

I can get a pic or two tonight.

Old 09/12/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

I spoke with Matt from Hydor in Florida last weekend. He informed me that there is no longer a lawsuit between Hydor & Tunze. The potential copyright infringement was for the magnetic base. Since Hydor also incorporates a suction cup, it was decided that Hydor used a different design. Also, if I understood Matt correctly, hydor is coming out with a separate line of controllable pumps with a multi-controller like system. I do not believe that these controllers will be designed to use with the standard Korilias. The controllable pumps will probably be direct current.
----Sean
Old 09/12/2007, 12:36 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Thats cool they're coming out with controllable pumps. Any idea on when?

Brandon
Old 09/12/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

they are on sale at dr's foster right now going to pick up two 4's for my 75.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Here are my two K2's.

Old 09/13/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Nice... I just wanted to make sure they wouldnt look too big in my little tank... Thanks for the pic...
Old 09/13/2007, 12:54 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

They remind me of some sort of security system... maybe motorized cameras with guns built in, guarding all aquarium in habitants.

They look good, though. I may make an EBay trip soon. I think by the time you include our discount at EBay and shipping from FostersSmith, its probably about the same.

Brandon