Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

http://reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11
Old 09/09/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rogergolf66

Sunkool I just checked my sent PM and you are right the PM I sent you yesterday didn't go through. I don't know why. I have had some problems with my computer going slow, so sometimes I would walk away well it was posting. I guess It got an error. Basicly I said I liked the polyps but I the chili is a lot to pay for only 7 polyps. and I sent you pictures of other iteams I had.
Roger
no problem. If I saw this I would have told you again that I had to frag them (which I did) The last pm I sent you told you this. It also said I have a frag of three pink ones on a shell. I never implied 1 polyp for something else in trade.
Old 09/09/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Hey greg you keep your Mg at 1500 isn't it high?
how high can you go?
Why do you keep it like that?
Old 09/09/2007, 02:53 PM
Moved On

shibumi, its VERY IMPORTANT for the mag to be up up up, the reason, I tell it to simple, is that it helps the corals consume the chemicals up better, but also its important to make shore the Alk , and Cal, is stable,
Alk 10 to 12
Cal 450 to 480
mag 1500 - 1600

everybody loves the mag, its a helper to consume as aslong everybody is healthy.

so if your cal is low and alk is high, it wont work, same thing if the cal is high, and the alk is low, it wont work, keep the levels up, the more corals you have the more they suck up, MAGNESIUM IS VERY IMPORTANT,
Old 09/09/2007, 02:57 PM
Moved On

roggerdogger gofferlotsofquestioner,lol, keep asking baby, thats another way to learn to, asking,asking,asking,asking,and asking.

I've noticed you never talked about the MAGNESIUM, if you don't have a test, get one, keep your mag up.

Old 09/09/2007, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shibumi
Hey greg you keep your Mg at 1500 isn't it high?
how high can you go?
Why do you keep it like that?
1500 is the top of the NSW range/

Mg is directly related to the amount of Ca that can be kept in solution. (if your Mg is to low you cant raise Ca no mater how much you put in) you dont get as much Ca precipitation with high Mg (clean pumps less often)

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 09/09/2007, 04:01 PM
Moved On

mflamb keeps his mag at 1600, I thought that was a little to high as I keep mine at 1450 to 1500, but since Mflamb goes to 1600 and explained why, like Ah64av8tor said, you cant raise levels no matter how much cal you put in, imagine the amount of people that used cal,alk, to raise levels and didn't know to keep mag up, lots did that, I ran into quite a few people recently and didn't know this, that's crazy, and a few of them got schooling from me and now they see the results, on hands training rules, some people get it better when somebody actually shows them, but I know lots can't because of life, and work, so I try to help out in that field.
Old 09/09/2007, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

what do you guys use to rise the MG?
How fast can I rise it?
Old 09/09/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shibumi
what do you guys use to rise the MG?
How fast can I rise it?
Epson salt is the cheapest or you can pay a lot for a commercial product.

The Chem calc will tell you how much to add and if you need to do it in steps.

My kids call me the fish geek <')))><

Click on the red house to see the 150 Redux build thread.
Old 09/09/2007, 07:13 PM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by lazaro torres
mflamb keeps his mag at 1600, I thought that was a little to high as I keep mine at 1450 to 1500, but since Mflamb goes to 1600 and explained why, like Ah64av8tor said, you cant raise levels no matter how much cal you put in, imagine the amount of people that used cal,alk, to raise levels and didn't know to keep mag up, lots did that, I ran into quite a few people recently and didn't know this, that's crazy, and a few of them got schooling from me and now they see the results, on hands training rules, some people get it better when somebody actually shows them, but I know lots can't because of life, and work, so I try to help out in that field.
I actually have kept mine in the 1400 range, but like Greg explained, the higher the Mg (to a limit), the more Ca you can keep in solution.
Old 09/09/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

I keep mine around 1250-1300 on the Mag. It is important to keep it steady more than high.
Old 09/09/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Laz.

that was the first time I have felt like I should't ask a question.

Well anyways I did alot of reading today before I started this thread and I learned alot about Mag. so I just said to my wife before I read what you wrote that I need to get a test kit for it.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 09/09/2007, 08:10 PM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by rogergolf66
Well anyways I did alot of reading today before I started this thread and I learned alot about Mag. so I just said to my wife before I read what you wrote that I need to get a test kit for it.

Roger
Test everything!!! Once you get familiar with your test kits, you can test EVERYTHING in less than 5 minutes.
Old 09/09/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

I am getting pretty good at doing the testing now. what else should I test for?

I test

PH
Alk
Cal
PHo
Nitate
Nitite
ammonia

I am going to add mag. as soon as I can get to the store.
Iodine?
strom?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 09/09/2007, 08:16 PM
Patient Reefer

When you add Mg, you've got it covered.
I would hope that NH, NO2/3 are all at zero.
Old 09/09/2007, 09:54 PM
Moved On

Cycle that water rogergolf66,its important to do weekly water changes too, you have a nice load, stay focused on the water pars, bring down the poop levels, thats what feeds the bad stuff, you can't see it, but the test kits can, and you pretty much give youre self away by telling us about the alge problems, so keep that water clean man, stay on it, don't add no more life till you get that water in check, good job buddy, keep it up.
Old 09/09/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Laz by no means am I saying you are wrong because I know about the algea problem and I have read why it normally happens. My question is why do my paramiters come back good?

I even had LFS check the water and it came back the same as my test kits.

The only think I can think of is the refugiuam. maybe some die off of the plant life? or the 11 DST. Maybe I wasn't changeing my mechanical filtration enough.

I don't know. Maybe the refugium is absorbing the nutiants before the test can read them, but that is what they are there for right?

Roger

Old 09/09/2007, 10:22 PM
Moved down

Someone correct me if im wrong but algae releases the nitrates back into the water at night. When you are testing with the lighting on the Algae in the tank has absorbed it back up. Its is also very importatant that the water you use for top off and water changes has the lowest tds possible. I used to buy water and the tds was anywhere from 7-17 and i had a big problem with algae.

Take a step backward and do it right.
Old 09/10/2007, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mflamb
Test everything!!! Once you get familiar with your test kits, you can test EVERYTHING in less than 5 minutes.
Really? Are these Salifert kits? Crap - gonna have to go buy some. I don't test that much recently because of the time it takes, but have upped my water changes until I can get some better kits!! I'll pay the extra price for sure just to be able to test more quickly (better yet - I should bring my water to school and let the kids test it )!!
Old 09/10/2007, 09:28 AM
Frag it!

Salifert kits are great...

I don't see how you can do it in less than 5 mins. Some of them say to mix for 30 seconds, 10 seconds, and then let it sit for 5 mins.

You could probably do them all in under 10 mins, which still isn't bad. That includes cleaning out the tubes when you're done.
Old 09/10/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Someone correct me if im wrong but algae releases the nitrates back into the water at night. When you are testing with the lighting on the Algae in the tank has absorbed it back up.

So if I test for nitrates and phosphates at night I will have different levels?

What if my refugium is on a reverse light cycle then my tank. The refugium lights are off when I am tested. I think they were last time. I didn't keep a record of that. The lights overlap slightly.

Old 09/10/2007, 01:57 PM
Moved down

I would suggest getting the DI chamber and getting your tds down. Kepp up on your filter sock changes because that plays a big part in leaking nitrates back into your system too.

I was told back when i had a hair algae problem that the algae releases back into the system when the lights are off. The algae in the tank and the macro algae may both be releasing back and forth. The best way to get rid up unwanted algae is to get to the bottom of the problem and cut off its nutrients there. TDS, Filter socks, and a quality skimmer. You do not want to rely on the macro algae in the refugium to absorb all the bad nutrients.

Take a step backward and do it right.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

I second that. Nutrients control.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:43 PM
Patient Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by BlitzK
Salifert kits are great...

I don't see how you can do it in less than 5 mins. Some of them say to mix for 30 seconds, 10 seconds, and then let it sit for 5 mins.

You could probably do them all in under 10 mins, which still isn't bad. That includes cleaning out the tubes when you're done.
You are correct. I shake and move to the next. When they're all "waiting", I move on to other things. Actual time invested is about 5 minutes, over a 15 minute period.
Old 09/10/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

I am ordering the DI unit ASAP. I have a euro reef skimmer that is pulling out a lot of skimm. my filter soaks have been changed everyweek. but I think I am just going to change them every 3 days no matter if it is full or not. Is that to much?

Roger