Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 04:36 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I have found a few things to be constant with most of the unsuccessful experiences people have had with these fish:

1. Most were large adult Latz and like most WC clownfish the adults have a harder time making it through the collection process and are generally to far gone once they reach the hobbyist.

2. Most of the hobbyists who have kept Latz in the past are hardcore clownfish fans and they are prone to not treat these fish properly with copper, formalin, etc. because they are looking to try and breed the fish and do not want them sterilized from the meds. I disagree with this philosophy and I am not sold on the fact that meds will sterilize a fish unless it is dosed incorrectly. To me, a dead fish is a much bigger waste than one that cannot breed IMOP.
Old 08/27/2007, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
I have found a few things to be constant with most of the unsuccessful experiences people have had with these fish:

1. Most were large adult Latz and like most WC clownfish the adults have a harder time making it through the collection process and are generally to far gone once they reach the hobbyist.

2. Most of the hobbyists who have kept Latz in the past are hardcore clownfish fans and they are prone to not treat these fish properly with copper, formalin, etc. because they are looking to try and breed the fish and do not want them sterilized from the meds. I disagree with this philosophy and I am not sold on the fact that meds will sterilize a fish unless it is dosed incorrectly. To me, a dead fish is a much bigger waste than one that cannot breed IMOP.
I disagree with your second statement (but I do agree about latz and chrys being poor shippers as adults).

Many of us "hardcore" keepers treat our fish upon arrival with meds (formalin and copper included). Both meds did not show any impending factors in breeding chrys, chrysogasters, etc.
Old 08/27/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

All of mine had been eating pellets all along since start, but of course I dont pick them up right after shipment, something like 1-3 weeks at LFS tanks, to let them go through the "brook-easy" phase. Afterall, if I am paying retail prices, the shops are happy to do some initial QT for me
Old 08/28/2007, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

All of mine were treated. Size's ranged from small juvie's to large adults. 4 pair total. 2 pair in colder temps (low 70's) other in 80's. Fed a variety of foods, including vitam enriched. Only reason I lost them was due to blindness within about a year. None of the other 20+ pairs I had ever went blind (tricinctus, bicinctus, leuk, frenatus, percula, occellaris, polymnus, akins, GSM, etc.)

Eco-tropic had the same thing happen.

I wish everyone luck on their pairs. My hope is that someone will be able to breed these guys. One of my favorite clowns.
Old 08/28/2007, 07:52 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Was the blindness issue an isolated problem with Large angels clowns or have others experienced the same problem? Did anyone ever determine if it was due to keeping them at higher temps, parasites, or is it still unknown?
Old 08/28/2007, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Eco-tropic reported that when he brought in a lot of latz for breeding purposes they all went blind within a year. He also didn't find temp. nor anyting else to be a cause. Someone here speculated that it may have been a vitamin issue, but then why only latz?
Old 08/28/2007, 08:01 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Were all of these fish large adults?
Old 08/28/2007, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Mine were juvi's to large adults and I don't know about eco's. He brought in a lot of latz so I am assuming it was all sizes.
Old 08/28/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

what do you consider juvies? 2-3 inches? or larger?
Old 08/28/2007, 01:43 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I consider them Juve's if they have the juve. colors. Most of the ones that my LFS had either had full Juv. colors or were just starting to develop the blue boths and orange on the backs.
Old 08/29/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Day 6: Both looking good. They have started hosting in the same area with the zo's and xenias. Feeding frozen mysis and tried flake but one of them dont like it. Couple nights ago one of them was opening its mouth really wide every min or so and did that until i went to sleep....but stopped the next day. Anyone know why they do that?
Old 08/29/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

I hope you don;t mind the hijack trigger, but since most of RC clown brain trust is here, I'm stumped??? I've used Maracyn, Furacyn, and currently using Maracyn II (as of tonight). It's been a very slow progression, and nothing seems to be stopping it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by criccio; 08/29/2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08/29/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Damn that's crazy, how was it caused?
Old 08/29/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Do you think penicillin will work?
Old 08/30/2007, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

How did it start? How long has it been going on? Any signs anywhere else? Are you double dosing Maracyn II? Is the fish eating?
Old 08/30/2007, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

How it started I don't know, but, it did begin right at the cheek flap about three weeks ago (started dosing Maracyn/Furacy) then. No other signs anywhere else. I'm double dosing freshwater Maracyn 2, yes. Eating has slowly trickled off as of the last day or two. It almost seems like a severe case of LLD because of the pitting, but I just don't know.
Old 08/30/2007, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

I would use a synergetic combination of Neomycin sulfate, a much better antibiotic for saltwater than anything in the Tetracycline group, and a bacterial inhibitor such Sulfathiazole.

“Because I'm hard you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn!” – Gunnery Sgt. Hartman
Old 08/30/2007, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

Chris,

you need to double saltwater Maracyn. You can also try Spectrogram. Since we do not know if that's gramm-positive or gramm-negative bacteria, I would try Maracyn1 as well.
Old 08/30/2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

MarinaP: Isn't double dosing Saltwater Maracyn II quadruple dosing Freshwater Maracyn II?
Old 08/30/2007, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Yes, it is.
Old 09/01/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Chris, how is she/he doing?

Best,
Ilham
Old 09/01/2007, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Hi Ilham,

He's not any worse, color is good, breathing is good, so we'll see. I'm optimistic, and thanks for the help everyone.
Old 09/03/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Is anyone going to give up the source? I saw the one on ReeferMadness, but I'm looking for a few juvis. My buddy and I breed clowns out here in San Diego. I'd like to add these to our list. We have about 75 pairs currently: Oscellaris, B&W Oscellaris, Onyx Percs, Clarkii, Tomato, Chrysopterus, Maroons.
Old 09/04/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Have not been online here for a while since the breeders "moved" out

Keeping and breeding / trying to breed 9 different species of course I also have Latz. Nice to find this tread. Here are my observations / remarks:

* I purchased a pair and placed it in a 55 G tank. They where doing ok but did not look happy and got sick

* After treatment I moved them in my 300 G display tank. Where they only take the H.crispa in the night or if spooked. Eat all food, are fit. "She" has some black spots in the center white lien looks like scales missing?

* As they did not pair or buddy I added a small one to see how that would change. At the beginning the small one was attacked and now they all life together - still no pair bounding ect to see.

* I have them now since Dec 2006

@Marina, I love your chrysogaster picture Compared to mLatz this fish is reeeeeeeeeeally difficult. I lost them already twice now and stopped my current tries.

Peter
Old 09/04/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking about an anemone for my pair so they got some where to sleep besides the small patch of xenias. Do you guys think that is a good idea or would that stress them out even more? I'm thinking a rbta.