Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy How different between C. rhomboidalis and C. pylei ?

I saw some stuffs in LFS. it very pretty. He told me it's C.rhomboidalis. But I'm not sure because It looks like C. pylei and i got a bit confuse about what doest it differance. Its price is estimate 200$. Please give me some advices and sorry about my bad english.

Thank alot
Old 08/26/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Here is my Rhomboid

Here is my Pylei
Old 08/26/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

It had white body with blue speckles and triangle tail. probably, it maybe female? For those who have C.rhomboidalis female photo please show me

Thank again
Old 08/26/2007, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Here is my female.

Old 08/26/2007, 07:17 PM
angelfish nut!

This has been going on for years... export lists out of Vanuatu show wrasses labeled correctly with the scientific name Cirrhilabrus pylei, but the common name is "rhomboid fairy wrasse". This has been the case for years since before C. pylei were described I think, and while they've changed the scientific name they've kept the common name. This leads many unknowing LFSs thinking they have true C. rhomboidalis when in reality they don't. True rhomboids come out of the Marshall Islands. I owned a pair of pyleis years ago and the male was killed... lost the female when she threaded the needle through my hood. Here is a shot of my supermale rhomboid... and below a shot showing the two females... there is quite a bit of difference...

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/27/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

that is a SWEEEEET rhomboid. Those that look like that are extremely rare. It is most likely a female rhomboid that is at the LFS. 200 isn't bad.. i think Liveaquaria was selling females for 249 or something.
Old 08/27/2007, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

My male pylie stressed in the holding tank.