Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/18/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Mucus on surface

There has been a mucus that has formed in my refugium and it seems to be smothering my corals. Has anyone here experienced this? Any info out there? Its like clear snot.

Old 08/18/2007, 10:47 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

What kind of algae is in there ?

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 08/18/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Thats one of my problems also, algae isnt even growing...nothing.
Old 08/18/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Anybody?
Old 08/18/2007, 03:50 PM
You Load 16Tons...

i have a friend who gets that. we've assumed it was bacteria. it forms masses of clear slime (can pull it out by the handful sometimes). usually in his sump, but sometimes in his frag tank/fuge (chaeto that never grows). once it clogged up his beckett injector.
Old 08/18/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Nasty stuff, I've had it off and on floating on the surface of my main tank. I just swapped the pump on my closed loop so I get more flow and so far it looks like it's done the trick. I still don't know where it's coming from but once it goes down the overflow and thru the lift pump into the fuge, it's butchered and chopped to the point that it dissolves.
I could have a blast with some at Halloween!
Old 08/18/2007, 11:02 PM

I may be a bacterial slime and it looks like maybe Dazed has found a good soltuion. I have seen thin films in some reef tanks right on the surface, almost like a layer of ceran-wrap and usually when you increase the flow it is gone

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 08/19/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

My system is only 32 gal, so chopping it and dissoling is a little difficult. Is there a product out there that would destroy it?
Old 08/19/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

The chopping by the pump can only happen when you have enough surface agitation and water movement, IMHO. That seems to be what did the trick for me. Can you add a powerhead or bigger pump to get better water movement?
Old 08/19/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

In the 32 gal system (finnex M-tanK) I have 2x MaxiJet 900, the return pump and then the skimmer pump. I do think that your on to something. The place where this mucus is accumlinating is in the very low flow refugium. I've got an extra MJ600 that I'll put in there to stir things up a bit. Maybe it will work.
Old 08/19/2007, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

I really think that was the trick that did it for me. Good luck!
Old 08/19/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Pumps installed, churning it up. I'll let you know if its the cure for me.
By the way, your boys are 2-0 in the little league world series, they look good!
Old 08/19/2007, 10:53 PM

Old 08/19/2007, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, the Williams kid is something to watch pitch. His fastball has been clocked at 86 and he's only 12! It's a complete team, most of the team are good pitchers and most are a real threat to go deep. I'd sure like to see 'em do well, it's all the town talks about now. Leave it to a bunch of kids to get our minds off the troubles of the world for a few days.
Old 08/20/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

This is me and my son, we went to the state tournament here in Fl and came in third. Our goal was Willaimsport but came up a little short, we did well. To make it there you have got to be good and a little lucky too.
Before all the teams got to williamsport I watched all the regional championship games andmy prediction was either the Texas team or the Georgia team to win for the US, we will see.
Old 08/20/2007, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

Pass along my congratulations to your son. You're right, luck has to be on your side to make it all the way. The over-the-fence catch during the first day at Williamsport was pretty much proof of that. You two obviously put in a lot of work and time to get to the level that you did, KUDOS to both of you and the rest of his team!
Old 08/20/2007, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Grndhog, you at Elgin? I just retired out of Hurlburt Field last May!
Old 08/20/2007, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrndHog
My system is only 32 gal, so chopping it and dissoling is a little difficult. Is there a product out there that would destroy it?
I think it is suffocating the cheato but coating the surface.
I have measured lately for nitrates or have been overfeeding?

Red slime remover can be used as a last resort if you suspect it is a bacteria--but only as a last resort---I am still not confortable with using a bacteriacide in my tank --although I just did to remove a cyano problem--with no harmful affects
Old 08/20/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maudsley
Grndhog, you at Elgin? I just retired out of Hurlburt Field last May!
Yeah, I've been here since 1993. Just went over 20 and signing up for 4 more......I love my job, why not?
Old 08/20/2007, 04:42 PM
You Load 16Tons...

my brother is at Hurlburt. '53 pilot.
Old 08/20/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Capn,

Thats funny you say use red slime remover. About a month ago I used Chem-clean because I was thinking the same thing, this is what happened

Thats strings of slime rising from my rock
Old 08/20/2007, 07:29 PM

That looks like that white unknown bacteria that pops-up once in awhile

Old 08/20/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrndHog
Capn,

Thats funny you say use red slime remover. About a month ago I used Chem-clean because I was thinking the same thing, this is what happened

Thats strings of slime rising from my rock
I'd be inclined to do a major water change after that event--looks like the aftermath of major clam or coral sex