Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2007, 03:53 PM
Going for broke!

Use a handheld mirror and tape to your tank, the Powder Blue Tang will be distracted from his own shadow and leave your new addition alone. Leave the mirror there a day or two, this works well for me when I introduce new fish.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
Old 07/17/2007, 05:27 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by t5Nitro
Oh, so everything is good now? Maybe I will try one. I need one to get rid of some aiptasia. Joe's Juice, Kalk Paste, and Peppermint Shrimp didn't help it I don't think. What do you think about a yellow tang then, probably would be less aggresive than the powder brown, or more aggresive since the body shape would be more similar? What size copperband did you get? My yellow tang and powder brown tang are around the 4" size, and I don't think the foxface would bother a copperband. I do have a 40 gallon sump I could put it in if it had to go in there for a while until I could find a new home for it, although there isn't much swimming room there.

How many fish are in your 90 then. Still have the 2 tangs, trigger, chromis, and now copperband? Your tank is an SPS reef mostly right? I have 2 tangs, a foxface, 2 anthias, and 2 clowns in my SPS reef, I just don't want the nitrates to go above 0. Making sure the bioload will be OK first
He is left alone but only because he is in the top right corner. The second he move away my PBT pushes him right back.

I have 4" powder blue, 4" naso, 4" niger trigger, 5 green cromis, 1 firefish, two true percs and now a 4" copperband.
Old 07/17/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

You may want to try and put the PBT in the QT tank for a couple of days so the CBB can relax and get used to its new surroundings. I understand they stress easily and die quickly. I had one last about 10 days. Good luck.
Old 07/17/2007, 06:34 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by hulley
You may want to try and put the PBT in the QT tank for a couple of days so the CBB can relax and get used to its new surroundings. I understand they stress easily and die quickly. I had one last about 10 days. Good luck.
Easier said than done. lol

I made a fish trap and it took 3days to get him to go in.
Old 07/17/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Yeah thats the truth! lol! These guys are smarter than we give them credit for. Wish ya the best! In all fairness, I did get the CBB when I probably shouldnt have. I didnt do my research and was ill prepared to care for it. Just one of the MANY dumb mistakes I've made in this hobby
Old 07/17/2007, 08:35 PM
Copperband Butterfly

I just had a 3" CBB put on hold for me. Hopefully my 2 tangs don't go nuts, or settle down soon. Good luck with yours.
Old 07/20/2007, 01:47 PM
Copperband Butterfly

How is your CBB doing xenon? My tangs don't bother mine too much at all.
Old 07/20/2007, 11:40 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
How is your CBB doing xenon? My tangs don't bother mine too much at all.
He has fianlly been accepted as part of the familly.

It only took 4days. lol
Old 07/20/2007, 11:59 PM
Copperband Butterfly

Very nice, mine never did bother him too much. Is yours eating prepared foods? What are you feeding it?
Old 07/21/2007, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

Sweet! Arent CBB good for the tank too? dont they eat aptaisa or some other pest like flatworms or something?
Old 07/21/2007, 08:56 AM
Copperband Butterfly

Feather dusters are goners right away. CBB's that eat aiptasia when you buy one are hit and miss, most seem to eat them though.
Old 07/25/2007, 04:10 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Very nice, mine never did bother him too much. Is yours eating prepared foods? What are you feeding it?
Yep.

He was already eating mysis at the fish store and that's why I got him.
Old 07/25/2007, 04:10 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Feather dusters are goners right away. CBB's that eat aiptasia when you buy one are hit and miss, most seem to eat them though.
So far he picks at the rocks but leaves the aptasia alone.
Old 08/01/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Hey xenon, if you have aptasia, can you take a pic and post it so us(ME) who can't identify it can see what it look like. Thanks
Old 08/01/2007, 10:07 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by crázy clowntang
Hey xenon, if you have aptasia, can you take a pic and post it so us(ME) who can't identify it can see what it look like. Thanks
I don't have any.

Sorry.
Old 08/16/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

one more thing xenon, i was wondering what is your triggers behavior with the other fish? I always thought they were aggresive fish, well that's what they say anyway, so i really never tried to get one. Thanks
Old 08/16/2007, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

wow, I actually read all 14 pages of your thread!!! I'm starting my 210g set up. I tried starting a tread but I haven't updated it recently. I guess my problem is that I don't have $$ like some of the other hobbyists, so it takes me time to actually buy equipment. But anyways, you've got a beautiful tank. Great ideas too!! Hopefully I can have my 210 up soon, and use some of the ideas I got from you. Love the silencer for the skimmer. thanks
Old 08/18/2007, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Hey xenon - Have any pictures of your T5 setup? I think I have the same moonlights as you. How are you controlling nitrates in your tank? In general, how is the tank going?
Old 08/22/2007, 11:56 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by crázy clowntang
one more thing xenon, i was wondering what is your triggers behavior with the other fish? I always thought they were aggresive fish, well that's what they say anyway, so i really never tried to get one. Thanks
There are a few reef safe triggers that play nice.

Blue jaw, pink tail, niger, crosshatch. Not exactly in that order.. whatever one you like best make sure you get them young.

My niger trigger is an absolute angel. Very neutral and not agressive what so ever.
Old 08/22/2007, 11:58 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by jthao
wow, I actually read all 14 pages of your thread!!! I'm starting my 210g set up. I tried starting a tread but I haven't updated it recently. I guess my problem is that I don't have $$ like some of the other hobbyists, so it takes me time to actually buy equipment. But anyways, you've got a beautiful tank. Great ideas too!! Hopefully I can have my 210 up soon, and use some of the ideas I got from you. Love the silencer for the skimmer. thanks
I definately did not buy everything in one shot.

Everytime you buy something take a pic. Once you almost done then start your progress thread with all the pics you took.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:00 AM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by Demeter
Hey xenon - Have any pictures of your T5 setup? I think I have the same moonlights as you. How are you controlling nitrates in your tank? In general, how is the tank going?
Yep, i posted some pix of the fixture and before/after pics compared to how my MH looked a few pages back.

I do 15% water changed weekly. I skim wet and feed just enough to keep everyone happy.

Overall the tank is just fine. I will take more pics in a few weeks. I almost have all my walls covered in coraline.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Hey xenon,

I've been subscribed to this thread for awhile. You've done a fantastic job with this set up. How is your pbt doing? Do you plan an upgrade for the naso and pbt in the future? Or do you think that your open aquascaping gives them enough swimming area?

Also, are you covering your sun corals to target feed? Have you "trained" them to open during the day?

Thanks!
- Z
Old 08/23/2007, 08:57 AM
Copperband Butterfly

Great looking tank.
Old 08/23/2007, 05:55 PM
FOWLR

Quote:
Originally posted by zibba
Hey xenon,

I've been subscribed to this thread for awhile. You've done a fantastic job with this set up. How is your pbt doing? Do you plan an upgrade for the naso and pbt in the future? Or do you think that your open aquascaping gives them enough swimming area?

Also, are you covering your sun corals to target feed? Have you "trained" them to open during the day?

Thanks!
- Z
PBT is doing great!

I do plan to upgrade once they outgrow the tank. Perfect excuse

I use a clear glass bowl to cover the sun corals otherwise the fish steal it all. I dont feed them daily, only 1x per week. I never have a hard time getting them to open. Everytime I feed the fish they come out.
Old 08/25/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

hi,,there,,,just wonder about your light,,,does it get hot at all if you turn on for like 12hr a day?? i am thinking to get on to put inside of my enclose acrylic canopy with two fans install in back
what do you think?? i alway worry about the heat,,,heat up my acrylic and the whole tank,,