Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/14/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Ready to Kill my Ca Reactor

I have a MRC Calcium reactor with a single reaction chamber and I need some advice/help with it. I have the unit for about a year now and have had trouble controlling the effluent drip.

I have used both a maxi jet 1200 and also tried a line off of a manifold coming from a pressure rated pump as feed pumps.

The problem is when I set the reactor to a certain drip rate eventually (within an hour or so) the unit stops dripping. If the drips are not monitored and stop the pH in the Reaction chamber goes way down.

Any suggestions or tricks. I talked to Andy and he said said to clean the foam pad the media was.... this did not work particularly well.

Thanks
Bennett
Old 08/14/2007, 05:13 PM
Grand High Puba

A peristaltic or other dosing style pump should do the trick.
Old 08/14/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.... why would those pumps do a better a better job than what I am using? What are the brands of these pumps.

Bennett
Old 08/14/2007, 05:53 PM
Grand High Puba

The thing about a peristaltic pump is that you can choose a flow rate usually down very low, therefore you don't need a valve to attempt to restrict the flow of a pump which is pumping far more water than the desired amount.

Most designs use a series of rollers (as opposed to an impeller) to "sqiush" the liquid through it, allowing for very low rates of flow.

You're probably getting problems because there is crap blocking up the valve that you are using to restrict the flow leaving the reactor. With a perstaltic pump, you can ditch the ball (or needle) valve all together.

If you go on Ebay and check out "masterflex" they make some awesome industrial application pumps but sometimes you have to wait to get a good deal on one.

You have to watch, because some peristaltic pumps put out such a low volume of water, they may not be able to keep up with your desired effluent rate. I think any of the following would be a good bet.

You could try this:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~AQ4511.html

or of course the LitreMeter3 which is an awesome pump:
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/cat...roducts_id=200

These are also nice and pretty reasonably priced:
http://www.innovativeaquatics.com/

I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 08/14/2007, 06:00 PM
Grand High Puba

Actually, now that I look at it, the Innovative units can only do 14.16 ML per minute, that's pretty slow, and depending on your reactor and other factors, this may be too slow for a calcium reactor application.
Old 08/14/2007, 06:11 PM
Grand High Puba

If you can afford it, go for the litre meter, it's awesome and you can add remote pumps, top off ... the whole 9 yards. It's sweet but a little pricey.
Old 08/14/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

I had the same issue with my MRC Nano. It was difficult to get a slow drip steady. I just increased the flow to a fast drip and increased the PH in the chamber a bit.
Old 08/14/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

are you using a ph controller in the chamber to measure/control the co2 going in? that may be one way to help.

also have you tried cleaning the needle valve? they can get build up pretty bad.

from us plastics you can get a needle valve to control the effluent pretty cheap and very reliable.
Old 08/14/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

I use the litermeter, its my least regretted purchase, yes pricey but really nice, it can do water changes, top off, dosing etc.
Old 08/14/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

I have a pH controller but the problem is when the effluent stops..... there is nothing to control and the pH will then rise indicating release CO2..... subsequently screwing up the media.

I will look at the litermeter thanks for the help.

Bennett
Old 08/15/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

what do you have the controller set at? if you are using large media it can usually handle the low 6's but if using smaller media i would not go lower than 6.5 personally. as long as the co2 is shut off then the chamber ph will not go lower nor mush the media.
sounds like either the controller is not located in the chamber or you have a controller problem with ph dropping too low.

as far as the effluent i would check the needle valve/tubing to make sure that it is clog/build up free.

hth
Old 08/15/2007, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

try opening the needle valve wide open and letting it flush for a while. The problem isnt so much the reactor but the media. The needle vale is getting jammed with debris.