Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/13/2007, 03:32 AM
espyesitis sufferer

Art - you've got some great camera gadgets. You need to share your coral pics in this forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
Where did you get those spectral plots from Karl? Looking at Sanjay's site, there are quite a few bulbs that give a much brighter 450nm peak than the Reeflux10k, even that Aquaconnect, perhaps there was an error in the data *shrug*.

Eitherway the Reeflux does have a higher peak at 450nm than most all 10000k bulbs.
Mike,

I pulled them from Sanjay's articles in AA. It's not very clear, but you'll notice how the reeflux peaks at nearly 1.50 at the 450nm range, which is pretty incredible. I probably wasn't thorough enough, but I don't remember seeing another bulb hit that high
Old 02/13/2007, 11:03 AM
Resident physicist.

Gotcha Karl, yeah, looking at Sanjay's sight there are a few bulbs which have a really large 450nm spike.

Here's an EVC 14000k which goes off the charts

The Helios, Radium, Coralvue & XM 20000k bulbs all have very similar high peaks around the 1.5 w/m^2/nm.

So the bulb itself isn't unique with that peak, but it definately is unusual for a 10000k bulb to have that peak in general.
Old 02/13/2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarce
Had to take a mental break from RC, and watched a film called Perth.

Just a little pop, PUG That ORA milli looks great. I really need to start getting more ORA coral. All I have is one of their clams.

Thanks for chiming in. And thank you, too, DaddyJax. This was fun.
thanks

I had a similar discussion with Kip awhile back when he called the color of that mille "unreal" and I just want to clarify something. By "pop" I only mean the mild flourescing effect the Reeflux bulbs can cause on blues in the tank... not the overall color of the coral. We're not smart enough [us or the lamp manufacturers] to make corals do things they're not capable of in nature... so the color is "real"

Any lamp/lighting system is going to effect [wash] how the corals look in the tank... 10k, 14k, 20k, T-5, no actinic, lots of actinic, etc... But not all lamps/lighting systems give the corals what they need to bring out their optimum coloration. IMO the Reeflux lamps help bring out the best mother nature has to offer, and the proof is when you pull it from the tank and view it under regular light
Old 02/13/2007, 07:03 PM
Huahine Sunset

Kinetic - Have you had a chance to play with the Expodisc? That thing sounds really neat for reef pics and for normal pics.

-Chris
Old 07/25/2007, 10:24 PM
Moved On

reef flux rules.
Old 08/14/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by palmer59
No, I do not use Zeo but I do dose about 5ml of Vodka a day. Frankly I do not know if it has any effect on the tank.

Mike

Mike,

Nice your blue milliepore. What kind of vodka is it?

Zul
Old 08/14/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by palmer59
Hi guys,

Just wanted to post an update to the Milli. Here it is on my 280G, top down shot. It has grown to about 7" wide, body still a solid blue and polyps are a a teal/silver hue. Picture lost a lot of resolution to fit the 50K limit. What do you guys think?

Mike
That is the nicest milli I have ever seen.

To be fair and to throw a bone to those in this thread that are crying colour alteration or misrepresentation, I think you should fix the white balance and take another shot. Not because you owe it to any of us, but just to satisfy the curiosity.

Sand is not pink folks. So yeah, the white balance in the above shot is way off IMO.

When I take shots of my corals I adjust the white balance accordingly. Search for the coffee filter trick here on RC, very handy trick.

Anyway, I'm certain that is the nicest milli I have ever seen regardless of the white balance.
Old 08/14/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smp

Sand is not pink folks. So yeah, the white balance in the above shot is way off IMO.

I think it is a bare bottom tank and the pink color may be the coralline algae.
Old 08/14/2007, 08:31 PM
espyesitis sufferer

I tried the same combo as palmer59 for a couple of weeks last year (400W Reeflux 10k and HQI ballast). It also gave me the pink background. It was suggested that I got the older, defective bulb. CoralVue kindly sent me a replacement last May, and it was the same result.

I think people like the Reeflux 10k on an e-ballast.
Old 08/14/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

LE all the way, baby! Put me in line for a frag!
This is the tale that was told to me by the man with the crystal eye, As I smoked my pipe in the camp-fire light, and the Glories swept the sky; As the Northlights gleamed and curved and streamed, and the bottle of "hooch" was dry. -Robert Service