Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2007, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

A. chrysogaster pics.

Old 08/13/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Yeaaa! I've been waiting for these pics. I love the one with the black mouth.

So, on the other thread you hinted that you got these from a specific person from LiveAquaria? Was it a special order? A friend who hooked you up? Did you just get lucky and see them in the Diver's Den? Something else all together? I am very interested in the collection trail. Not because I want any, just because it has to be a little interesting.

I hope they come through QT with flying colors!
Old 08/13/2007, 06:43 PM
clownfish fan

wow, those are special, got a nem for them yet?
Old 08/13/2007, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

The black mouth is the "female"...I think. 90% the time she runs the show, but every once in a while the slightly smaller "male" takes it to her. She was a bit nervous at first, but she is much better now. The pictures don't show how vibrant the yellow/orange really is, just like a yellow-tailed chrys coloration.

No nem yet. I've researched natural hosts for these guys, and will probably go with Macrodactyla doreensis. I would like to find more pics of them in their hosts in the wild, but there's all of about two pics out there.
Old 08/13/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by criccio
I would like to find more pics of them in their hosts in the wild, but there's all of about two pics out there.
Boy you are not kidding. There are a whole bunch of other animals with that species name though. A couple kinds of birds, at least two freshwater fish, a fly, a deer and a rat just name a few.
I wonder what chrysogaster means in latin. Maybe has to do with the yellow belly.

I just looked it up. Chrysogaster means "golden belly".
Old 08/13/2007, 08:41 PM
love them clownfish.

great fish chris, i look forward to seeing them in one of your tanks soon.
Old 08/13/2007, 09:04 PM
Moved On

Beautiful fish!
My question is the following. These have many of the same features as the A. fuscocaudatus. How can you tell the difference? When I have a picture of each next to eachother... the only difference I can tell is that the Fusco has a white tail when the Chrys has a black one.

I like to think that I know a good deal about clownfish...however I need to learn more about these two species. phender...can you shine any light on my question??

Thanks guys
Old 08/13/2007, 09:07 PM
Moved On

I think that I just found the answer to my own question

Similar species: Amphiprion fuscocaudatus from the Seychelles has a similar colour pattern but its tail has dark streaks rather than being solid dark colour and it has 11 dorsal spines (there are 10 in A. chrysogaster). Amphiprion tricinctus, from the Marshall Islands in the Pacific, is also similar, but generally has a narrower bar across the tail base (fewer than three scales wide -- it is more than three scales wide in A. chrysogaster).
Old 08/14/2007, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

Oh my...what an awesome find! THey look very nice!

Best,
Ilham
Old 08/14/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bones18
I think that I just found the answer to my own question

Similar species: Amphiprion fuscocaudatus from the Seychelles has a similar colour pattern but its tail has dark streaks rather than being solid dark colour and it has 11 dorsal spines (there are 10 in A. chrysogaster). Amphiprion tricinctus, from the Marshall Islands in the Pacific, is also similar, but generally has a narrower bar across the tail base (fewer than three scales wide -- it is more than three scales wide in A. chrysogaster).
There you go!
A lot of the clowns in the clarki complex are very similar to each other. (Which is why they are in the clarki complex ) In most cases, these populations of fish have become isolated from the main population of clarkis and have over time developed their slightly unique characteristics.

If you were a taxonomist who was a "lumper" instead of a "divider". You might say that there were only 4 or 5 different species of clowns and the others are just "races" within those species.
Old 08/14/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Traveller7 will be pleased to see those
Old 08/14/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

Where has Scott been, I haven't seen him on in awhile?
Old 08/14/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Work tends to keep him busy. I'm sure he'll be popping in when he gets the chance. Make sure you share your new clowns with him.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Chris-

Try searching under "Mauritius Anemonefish" to find more pictures. I found these from someones diving trip to Mauritius. Looks like the A. chrysogasters are in H. magnificas in this photo (sorry could not link photo):

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...41392200bsEEAy

I know yours came from Mauritius, but I hear from your same source that some pairs from Kenya (yes I know, not listed as part or the normal range) may become available (at least they have them in QT).

john
Old 08/15/2007, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the pics John, I just don't have any desire to attempt keeping a H. mag. It's funny though, looking at those diving pics you wouldn't think that they would need a lot of light because they look kind of deep. I guess it goes to show how strong the sun really is.

Btw John, I love the Coradion altivelis form the "rare fish" thread. How's it doing for you, what's it eating, and if you don't mind-where did you get it?

Last edited by criccio; 08/15/2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08/15/2007, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Chris-

The altevelis came from Old Town (along with the C. flavirostris). I have had 2 smaller ones before that got bullied too much and didn't maintain their weight. This one has done great and is completely uninterested in SPS. Eats anything including nori from an algae clip.

More chrysogaster photos:

http://scubapero.free.fr/phpwebgalle...19/category/38

http://scubapero.free.fr/phpwebgalle...20/category/38

http://scubapero.free.fr/phpwebgalle...31/category/38

john
Old 08/15/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

So, it looks like they are found with anemones that are really hard to keep (magnifica) and anemones that are really hard to find for sale (mertens).

The good news is they are in the clarki complex, so they probably aren't really very picky about anemones.
Old 08/15/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Sweet Clowns Chris!
Old 08/19/2007, 03:41 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by criccio
Where has Scott been, I haven't seen him on in awhile?
Quote:
Originally posted by Black Mammoth
Work tends to keep him busy. I'm sure he'll be popping in when he gets the chance. Make sure you share your new clowns with him.
That about sums up the last 6 months for me, all the right reasons, but eating more personal time then usual.

Congrats on the find Chris, they sure look like beauties.

I would keep them away from any other clowns and even quarantine the anemone(s) before adding any to their tank. They have been pretty hardy once settled, but they seem to have a touch of the Chrysopterus sensitivity in them to certain diseases.

I got sloppy and added a clean up crew to my tank a few months back, introduced a bit of "ich" but they weathered it in a few weeks or so with out treatment.

fwiw: My long term pair has had the choice of a few carpets, Magnifica, and BTAs.....they choose a colony of BTAs every time.
Old 08/19/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Scott-

Did yours come from Roozens? I was in DC for a couple of weeks in June. One of the guys there told me I had missed a Mauritius shipment by a few weeks.
Old 08/19/2007, 04:03 PM
RC Mod

Chris and John,

Answering across two threads

If I remember correctly the Female arrived with the Male in my avatar late 2003/early 2004 along with 2 much smaller Juvies. The male took out the 2 juvies in late 2004 after months of good natured colonial behavior

Male in avatar died in late 2005/early 2006 of unknown complications and was replaced with a small juvie MarinaP conditioned.

A few tank moves with the same rock, anemones, and Tunze ReefPack.

Junior, put on a growth spurt over the first few months paused, and another growth spurt in the last 60 days which brings us up to today ;>)