Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

800 gallon classroom build

this is from May 30, update later today....

the school where i teach used to offer aquatic science as an elective class. the setup consisted of 10 cabinets that each housed three 20 gallon long tanks. the tanks were set up individually with under gravel filters, crushed coral and air pumps for circulation - not to mention the fake plants and pet store sculptures usually seen in FW aquaria.

i was asked to take over the program, and agreed to do so as long as we could update the setup. here is what i have done so far, more pics as i progress...

original cabinet

this is how i modified each cell of the original cabinets to get a completely connected system (as you can see - i am not very good at painting :lol )

each of the 27 tanks i will be using was drilled for a drain into a 1.25" drain line.

this 150 gallon tank will also be part of the system, so it was drilled in the end as well. i also made this simple canopy to house a couple of 400 watt halides

im not sure what i will do with the 150 yet, since it is mine to manipulate, while the 20 gallon tanks are for students to maintain.

all of these tanks are tied together by this 7' long sump/fuge and duall beckett skimmer (powered by a mag 24) that i built last summer.

each tank has a 1" ball valve so the return flow can be controlled or even shut off for water changes and other individual tank maintenance.

three mag 12 pumps serve as the return pumps - one for each level of tanks

here are a couple of overall views - notice the RO line strung across the top. once i am finished filling the system, that line will connect to a float valve in the sump to provide top-off.

shoud have the system full of water this week, and then i will add the salt after i leak test the plumbing for a couple of days.

the next task will be to add sand and live rock to each tank so the system can cycle over the summer and will be ready for the students sometime in the fall.

tank build thread linked to the little red house.

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 08/07/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

that is so cool
Old 08/07/2007, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

ditto.

I want to go back to school... this is great.

Hell of a class to take in highschool... just hope there is no out break of disease with all of those linked tanks.

Certainly sounds like it needed to be update... have fun!

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/07/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Sweet. Any idea what you're going to do with all of those tanks and worker-bees? How about a study on effects of different lighting on ?? coral, fish breeding, macros etc. Would be cool if a classroom could be published in a trade journal.

Joe
Old 08/07/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

got all the sand and all the live rock i have (still need about 200 lbs) in this morning

then, this afternoon, i got the lights installed over the small tanks. they are NO florescent right now, but hopefully t5 or PC depending on budget by the end of the year.

hopefully i will be able to assemble the reflectors for the 400 watt halides that are going over the 150 tonight and get them installed some time this week

new tank here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276784
Old 08/07/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the comments blaze, tom and joe

that is a good idea joe, maybe as the program grows we can move in that type of direction.... this will be the first year, so it is really going to be a building year. we are also working on a 215 gallon coral prop tank and maybe a clownfish breading program.

Old 08/07/2007, 04:33 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
looking good.. i sure hope the kids appreciate what you are doing for them...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 08/07/2007, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

truelly impressive... what level of schooling is this? Its great that there is so much room in the budget for something like this. Lucky kids.

Old 08/07/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

it is a high school. as far as budget goes, it hasnt been too pricey because the school already had all of the glass tanks and the wood cabinets. all of the rest, i built, so the expense was only the materials.

the sand and rock has all been donated by local reefers.

Old 08/07/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

What high school is it? Its a very cool setup. Wish i had that when i took aquatic science last year.
Old 08/08/2007, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

this is so cool, I woulda loved it if they had something like this availible when I was in highschool.
Old 08/08/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

thanks felix - the class is actually environmental systems with an major emphasis on marine aquatics. right now it counts as a science elective for juniors and seniors, but in a few years it will count as a science credit to satisfy the 4th year of required science.

Old 08/08/2007, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

ace as always- great work! good thing you are good with acrylic because painting isnt exactly your forte!!
Old 08/08/2007, 11:03 AM
Keeper of Tangs

wow that is so awesome!!!! Teach anyone you can of how the most beautiful place on this earth is the ocean!!! I think the students getting to see and be around these marine animals will help them inspire to save our oceans.. Awesome job!
Old 08/08/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Great setup but I have one question. Is there any restriction on who would have access to the sump/tanks, etc.? I am curious because, after all, these are high school kids. Mysterious objects may find their way into the tanks.
Old 08/08/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

This is crazy! I want your class!!!
Old 08/08/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the concern bridgeman, but i really believe that people in general will live up to their expectations, no matter how high or low those may be. i have been teaching a while and have really found this to be true most of the time. i know, what about those few that dont live up to those high expectations.... you are right, i (as well as the other students) will have to keep a watch on things. i am really gonna give the students alot of ownership in the setup, so hopefully that will help.

triga - thanks, i hope the students are as excited about the class as i am

Old 08/08/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Wow. This is sweet. I look forward to this thread. Great Job

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/09/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

well, the tanks had cleared up quite a bit, but then i added more rock, so they are all cloudy again. also decided to redo the beckett chambers on the skimmer to the design i use now with pressure couplings for easier maintenance. the school isnt open again monday, so i should be able to finish the reflectors for the 150 and redo the beckett chambers by then. more pics to follow....

Old 08/09/2007, 08:23 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Omg that is sooo cool! you might get a few students that are interested in keeping SW, so be prepared for lots of info! lol!
I wish my hs taught this, I might have to make it happen!
Subscribing to this one!
Old 08/13/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

ok, got the skimmer beckett chambers redone, and one of the reflectors for the MH lights on the 150 gal put together.

got rid of the acrylic chambers (the way i used to build these) and replaced them with pressure fittings - work great and VERY easy to disassemble for cleaning the beckett injector

still have to make the bracket that holds the socket for both and assemble the second one

the water is all cleared up, and i now have all the lights on timers. just a temporary PC light on the 150 until i get the halides installed

the 150 gallon

the other tanks

Old 08/13/2007, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

AWESOME.... lucky class to be teaching... best of luck.

Old 08/13/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

WOW that is sweet wish I could do something like this in my school. Why not make the 150g into a reef ?
Old 08/13/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

thanks tom and tanya - havent decided exactly what to do with the 150, just want something different than my home tank. that is why i was thinking predator tank or seahorse/pipefish.

Old 08/13/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

I'impress with your proyect, I wish I can go back in time and be one of your students.