Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2007, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

How to get copper banded to eat aiptasia?

I have a CBB in quarantine that is now ready to go into the DT. I would like to know that he is going to eat aiptasia first. I have added a live rock with a couple of big aiptasia on it to see what he'll do. So far he hasn't touched them. Any ideas how to encourage him to eat the aiptasia?
Allen
Old 08/09/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

I would say it's like anything else that may or may not eat it. It's hit or miss. If they don't have a taste for it, they won't eat it. Get a couple of peppermint shrimp and see if they'll eat it. They're cheaper anyway. Mine do a great job.
Old 08/09/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Don't feed the QT tank for a couple days and see if he goes for the available anemones?
Old 08/09/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

My friend buy around 10 of those peppermints shrimps and put them in a separate tank. Starve them for couple days and put some rocks with aiptasia in that tank. Let them eat those aiptasia first so they can have a taste for it. Then release them into the display tank and not feeding the display tank for like two days. The 10 shrimps wiped out all the aiptasia in his tank. His tank is only 180, your tank is alot bigger. So get around 20-30 shrimps then
Hope this help
Old 08/09/2007, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

I'm sure my hawkfish would love to have some peppermint shrimp.
tperk9784, thanks. I was thinking of trying that. I just don't know how long to go without feeding him. It feels so mean. Considering that they may easily go a week without eating while in transit, I think 2 or 3 days is probably fine. Starting tomorrow the CBB is on a diet.
Allen