Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Lee Mar tanks

Does Lee Mar make acrylic tanks?

Any suggestions for a brand for Acrylic tanks? The only one I see in stores are Clear for life or SeaClear.
Old 08/08/2007, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

No, see SoCal Creations:

http://www.socalcreations.com/
Old 08/08/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

I am waiting for my quote from SoCal. How's the quality of SoCal compared to the Clear for Life brand.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08/08/2007, 02:49 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
Socal is as good if not better then most other acrylic mfgs...

and they price match..

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 08/08/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
Socal is as good if not better then most other acrylic mfgs...

and they price match..
I don't know why everyone is raving about socalcreation. Their price is ok but when I bough my tank from them, they didn't even polish the corner or the top. I ask them about it and they say that would be extra. That would be nice to know upfront, second they quote me $100 for deliver but when they arrive at the house they want $175 they claim the $75 was for the gas which wasn't include in the delivery quote. third they promise to deliver at x day but they cancel twice cause they have unplan vacation plan.

Last edited by Bui; 08/08/2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08/08/2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bui
I don't know why everyone is raving about socalcreation. Their price is ok but when I bough my tank from them, they didn't even polish the corner or the top. I ask them about it and they say that would be extra. That would be nice to know upfront, second they only deliver inside the house and not up to my stand - they claim it is their policy.
thats hard to say.. when i got my tank from Envision he sai that he does not polish the top or bottom of the tank.. i was like what the.. but then i though about it.. i have a stand and canopy so no one see's those parts of the tank..

as far as delivery.. that i understand.. whats next.. delivering it to your 3rd story apt on a 60" stand.. the line has to be drawn.. just like when i worked for Fedex.. we deliver to your door.. passed that it up to you...

Old 08/08/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Bebo - I highly doubt they'll price match since their tank usually runs twice as much as a seaclear.
Old 08/08/2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by s2k
Bebo - I highly doubt they'll price match since their tank usually runs twice as much as a seaclear.

they price match if the material ( spartec ) and thickness are the same...

Old 08/08/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

"clear for life" and "sea clear" build their tanks with the bare minimum thickness of acrylic for any given size. They are fine from a safety standpoint, but thy will bow, and that really looks like crap. My first tank was a 100g clear for life, it was made with 3/8" material. I replaced it with a 100g socal creations tank, they used 1/2", and the look is so much better. So cal also does better finishing work such as routing and polishing all of the edges...little details that a non fish geek would probably never notice.
Pricing is competative, you could get a custom acrylic for roughly the same price as a LFS would charge for an off the shelf tank. Acrylic is very expensive right now.
Old 08/08/2007, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by s2k
The thickness has alot to do with pricing. SoCal is usually 1/2"-3/4" and the others are 3/8" to maybe 1/2".
Old 08/08/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

I found this site the other day and the prices seem reasonable.

http://www.glasscages.com
Old 08/08/2007, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mangus7175
I found this site the other day and the prices seem reasonable.

http://www.glasscages.com
Theres been alot of talk about this company, do your research before ordering from them.
Old 08/08/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

i seen a so cal creations cube and i was not that impressed...because aren't they supposed to be the "best"
i got a quote for a 180...way to much i went glass that doesn't scratch.
Old 08/08/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bui
I don't know why everyone is raving about socalcreation. Their price is ok but when I bough my tank from them, they didn't even polish the corner or the top. I ask them about it and they say that would be extra. That would be nice to know upfront, second they quote me $100 for deliver but when they arrive at the house they want $175 they claim the $75 was for the gas which wasn't include in the delivery quote. third they promise to deliver at x day but they cancel twice cause they have unplan vacation plan.

I'm not exactly sure who you are, but we have never charged anything more than what we've quoted for delivery. Also, as far as an unplanned vacation, I have no idea what your talking about. As far as polishing, our standard polishing is stated on our website. Please don't spread untrue statements about us.

To everyone else, thanks for the nice compliments. We try to build all our tanks to the highest quality.
Old 08/08/2007, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Sorry guys, not trying to hijack on that last post, it just make me angry when people make false statements.

Anyways, Gabe's right, we will price match if the tanks are built the same way (thickness, bracing, material, ect), although the material doesn't have to be spartech, just as long as its cell cast domestic (plexi-g, spartech, cryo), as that is really the only acrylic that should be used in building an aquarium.

And to the original post, Lee-Mar only makes glass (very good from what I've seen).

I hope I'm not being commercial, as I know this might be a bit borderline. Just trying to clear the facts up here.
Old 08/09/2007, 12:52 AM
Registered Member

FWIW, I don't think there's a better mfr than SoCal Creations for these sorts of tanks in the southern CA area. From what I've seen anyway, I'd put them in the top 3 or 4 in the country as well. From the choice of materials, thickness, routing, joint quality, polishing, and the other details such as larger radii in the access corners - SoCal is superior to all of the mass produced tanks I've seen and most custom shops IMO.

As for polishing the top rims; it takes alot of time to polish the tanks correctly, figure at least an hour for every 2 lineal feet so charging a little more for this time only makes sense. If you have a canopy that will hide the top rim, it's not viewable anyway. Most other companies just route and flame polish and that's it. While this fine for many smaller tanks, for the larger investment in larger tanks - there is simply too much risk as flame polishing can induce stresses on the material itself which makes the tanks far more apt to craze (fracture due to stress).

James
Old 08/09/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lakersfan0014
I'm not exactly sure who you are, but we have never charged anything more than what we've quoted for delivery. Also, as far as an unplanned vacation, I have no idea what your talking about. As far as polishing, our standard polishing is stated on our website. Please don't spread untrue statements about us.

To everyone else, thanks for the nice compliments. We try to build all our tanks to the highest quality.
All of my statements are absolute true. I may have miss your statement on your website in regard to polishing but the rest of my statement are true. You did cancel twice, one is due to some fishing trip and the other is for who know what reason. As in regard to the delivery quote, you quote me $100 and on the day of delivery you call me to confirm it is $175. I stated that you told me it was $100 but you say it will take the two of you half a day and plus gas so you have to charge me $175.
Please don’t call your customer liar, just because you are not happy with his/her statement. What I’m saying is from my experience with you. I know you have a lot of raving review that is why I went with you, but I found my overall experience with you wasn’t so great.