Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/05/2007, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

I shut the lights off a little early hoping that they would find different spots in the tank to hang out. What I found in the morning was not a pretty site. The Black Spot got the worst of it during the night. Two of us tried to net him and get him in another tank, but didn't have any luck. So in he stayed and the worst seems to be over. They both now go their own separate ways and the Black Spot seems to be healing. He is eating good and getting along with all of the other tank mates.

Old 08/05/2007, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

One non fish addition this week, an Orange Rose Bulb Anemone. Nice color addition and has found a place at the base of the rocks in the FRONT of the tank.

Old 08/05/2007, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

absolutly beautiful tank and a wonderful selection of fish... I only have a small 180 gallon / 240 sytem and have been pondering what fish to add with my picasso and niger trigger they are both about 3-4" and seem to have good dispositions so far as they live amongs the 2 clowns, sfe eel (18"is) and pink spotted goby without incedent would you or anyone else watching this thread care to give some opinions on what sorts of fish I could do with the size system I am running? I have a Octopus 200 recirc skimmer that puts out great skim-mate however seems underutilized so I am not too worried about keeping things clean I also would like more info on the sand filter you are running as this seems like a great option. Would you mind pm'ing me with where you get your fish online as you seem to have had very good luck with quality of fish. Some day I will have a tank like yours but thats a long ways out...

Owner MC Lighting Concepts - LED Lighting Products
Old 08/05/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

nice fish, Acanthurus bariene! Another good find Goodwin9.
Old 08/05/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

MR MC Lighting! I have a 125 and I am up grading to a 180 I do not find it fair that you call these size tanks small it is an insult to the rest of us!!! MR GoodWin9 very sorry to show agression in your thread but only definding my self
Old 08/05/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSaltLife
MR MC Lighting! I have a 125 and I am up grading to a 180 I do not find it fair that you call these size tanks small it is an insult to the rest of us!!! MR GoodWin9 very sorry to show agression in your thread but only definding my self
I don't think he meant anything personal. I am building a 300 display and I feel it is a small tank compared to a lot of other tanks. I will be happy with it and hope to learn a lot.

GoodWin9 all the new fish look great..Can we get some new FTS..Ohhh .....I cant wait to start stooking my new tank..GOdwinn Al I can say is WOOOOWWWW,,

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/05/2007, 07:55 PM

My sumps are 200g. It's not the size guys, it's how you use it! IMHO, the smaller the tank, the more skill it takes to keep the system balanced and running long-term.
Old 08/05/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks jnarowe, I really appreciate the compliment. I have been following you since I have started, and have used several of you methods that have worked wonders for me. Thanks again.
Old 08/05/2007, 08:22 PM

YVW. I have made a terrific number of mistakes but along the way built in some cool stuff. Biggest compliment I have gotten to-date was from Steve Weast telling me I was running a low nutrient system, and I built all my stuff myself.
Old 08/05/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I agree with Jonathan, I'm not, and I don't think anyone else is saying any size tank is small. My fist tank was a 55 gal and I wished it had been a nano cube. The dollars I spent "learning" about salt water fish and tanks was alot. I didn't do any "homework" before starting with salt and have paid the price. It's been an expensive learning experience for me.

My guess is that everyone who has tanks in this forum has days when they wish their tanks were much smaller. I know I do.
Old 08/05/2007, 08:45 PM

and you can take that to the bank Chuck!

Imagine if you had to completely restock Steve Weast's tank!
Old 08/05/2007, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
GoodWin9 all the new fish look great..Can we get some new FTS..Ohhh .....I cant wait to start stooking my new tank..GOdwinn Al I can say is WOOOOWWWW,,
Thank you! Full tanks shots are hard to get with my camera and have any great detail in them. I'll see if I can get some "area" shots from the tank.
I've gotten lucky with some of my fish finds. Just when I think that I am done adding fish, one comes along that I have to have. Probably the wrong way to stock a tank. Six months into this tank, there are a few fish that I now wish that I hadn't put in the tank. Your new tank looks like it is going to be very nice. You might have the same problem I do with it in the office, spending more time with the fish than work.....
Old 08/05/2007, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
and you can take that to the bank Chuck!

Imagine if you had to completely restock Steve Weast's tank!
In three years in this hobby, the money I have spent, learning from my mistakes and poor judgement would make a pretty good dent in stocking that tank..... I have 3 different sets of lights for my original 55 gallon tank if that tells you anything...upgrade, learn something, then upgrade again. Seems like I have done a lot of that in 3 years.
Old 08/05/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

I know what you're talking about goodwin9. I've got the same problem, stuck with fish I shouldn't have put in the tank in the first place. I've got 6 five inch fusiliers that I'd like to catch and remove. I could have 6 more tangs. I tell myself no more fish, but like you said one comes along and I have to buy it. It's a disease I think.
Old 08/05/2007, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cougarman
I know what you're talking about goodwin9. I've got the same problem, stuck with fish I shouldn't have put in the tank in the first place. I've got 6 five inch fusiliers that I'd like to catch and remove. I could have 6 more tangs. I tell myself no more fish, but like you said one comes along and I have to buy it. It's a disease I think.
I am glad to hear that someone else has the same problem I have......
Old 08/05/2007, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

Red face Your Joking right?

Quote:
You are not seriously offended by a simple tounge and cheek wise crack about me thinking my tank is small in comparison to a tank system that is over 6x larger?

BTW Goodwin thanks for the pm but I wanted to respond and your box is full...

Old 08/05/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I have been through alot in the past couple of years and my small reef tank has stood by me the whole way. I tend to get a little to sencitive so with that said I am sorry.
Old 08/05/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Its ok but I was realy just being light hearted as in comparison to many reefs on this site mine is small (in comparison) I personaly love the smaller tanks all the way down to the nano's...

Old 08/05/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Just thought I'd upload a few pics of my newest additions. I'll have to spread this out over a few posts.

Acanthurus nigricaudus

Naso Brachycentron (Humpback Unicorn)

Old 08/05/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Thompsoni Tang

I believe this is a Juvenile Naso Tonganus. We will see as he grows.

Old 08/05/2007, 10:35 PM

Some of the best parts of reefs can only be seen from very close up. I spent a bit of time reef diving and once you've seen a fish, you've seen it, but I became very absorbed with the micro-world of the reef and in particular the symbiotic relationships formed among very different creatures. Most of that can only be observed closely in smaller tanks.
Old 08/05/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

I think this is a Juvenile Naso caeruleacaudus. But I'm not entirely sure. They all look alike when they're small.

I'm not sure what type of tang this is. He's a juvenile. Maybe you guys can ID him.

Old 08/05/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Lastly, I havent been able to Id this fella yet. He's a juvenile, maybe you guys can help me with it.

Old 08/05/2007, 10:46 PM

wow, that's quite an assortment! Should be interesting to see how the pecking order turns out.
Old 08/05/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

wow. I would like to see a updated full view