Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > West Tennessee Marine & Reef Aquarium Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/01/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

frag swap

All you pros out there need to give some in put as to how a successful swap should go. How much space is needed and any ideas and suggestions youve seen in the past. How much tables should sale for someone to set up etc.
Old 08/01/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

We're getting ready for a Swap in October in NJ. If you have any questions, email our officers on our site., they did all the leg work already. Our site is down for the night for updates, but stop by tomorrow and check us out. www.njreefers.org
Old 08/02/2007, 07:28 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I would say not to charge people or even vendors for tables.
I would cover my expenses through the sale of raffle tickets. Get some really good prizes and people will buy lots of raffle tickets.
If you charge for a table (unless you are a huge event) you may not get people to fill those tables.
Most small swaps that I have seen need about 2000-2500 sq. ft.
In Memphis the Agricenter is probably the best location. I priced it early this year for a swap, and was very surprised at how low the rates are...and it is super easy for out-of-towners to find.
Old 08/02/2007, 08:19 AM
WTMRAC Pres 07~08

Quote:
Originally posted by Rendos
I would cover my expenses through the sale of raffle tickets.
Get some really good prizes and people will buy lots of raffle tickets.
If you charge for a table (unless you are a huge event) you may not get people to fill those tables.
These are all good points. This discussion is why I wanted to get the ball rolling on this. I have only been to one swap so I dont really know what all needs to be done.

Click the Red House to see my tank pictures.
Old 08/02/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

I ve got prices for the Agricenter, Shelby Farms has a place and Licterman Nature center, just to show comparsions.
Old 08/02/2007, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

If you have someone who can sketch in AutoCad, that is very helpful in layouts. Everyone laughs and calls me names (no reindeer games for me), but it tells you what is there. That;s not to say it will be that way when you set it all up, but it gives a good idea. I tried to give vendors abotu 4'x4' (2' table and ~2' of space between the table and wall. I also tried to keep at least 6' between tables that face each other. This helps with flow and congestion. Both of our last two swap were still a little cramped, but I think the last one was better. Get as big a space as you can for the price range you have. It never hurts to have too much, but too little and the room heats up quickly and people get grumbly.

Access is important (many more people are bringing set ups these days for display). Electricity is important, too (for the same reason). Sometimes, you have to give and take, though, so you don't always give everyone what they want (but they usually end up with what they need).

The trick is getting the word out. I posted in every forumwithin about 5-7 hours from the location and subscribed to the threads to keep track if someone posted asking questions (this is a great task to farm out to someone). We also lucked into a newspaper article the year before last that brought a lot of people in, as well. Anyway to get the word out. We printed posted both years (Richard had them done the first year) and posted them in vet offices, Petco's, PetSmart's, etc., as well as LFS'. A lot goes into swaps. I'm glad to see one coming to Memphis. I had always wanted to see swaps aroud the state at given intervals (just wish I was still in state...). Crack for everyone.

HTH