Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/25/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

replacement LED for Current fixture?

One of my LED's is way dimmer then the others in my Current lighting fixture. Can someone tell me where to get a replacement LED? I would guess Radio Shack should have something but what exactly would be a direct replacement?
Old 07/30/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone tore apart their Current light fixture to replace an led?
Old 07/30/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

you can get some LED's from eled.com, if you know anything about DIY you can easily replace it, I would try to contact Current to see their specs on the LED's for a size, viewing angle, and intensity of the LED to match them up
Old 07/30/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

It's worth a shot to call them i guess....going from past experience though i'm not to confident they'll give me much information. I was hoping someone had already done this and could point me in the right direction.
Old 07/30/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

just as i suspected...current would only give me a part number and a couple places to call....6 bucks for the led and 7 bucks to ship it...none of the 3 people i spoke with could/would give me the specs on the bulb so i could go to radio shack and pick one up myself for 2 bucks.
Old 07/30/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Standard Radio Shack Blue LED (around 470nm) will probably work fine.
I highly doubt that they even know what the viewing angle is. They probably use different ones. I had some of the Current Usa Lunar Links and one of them had one different color LED than the other and than the other Lunar links. It actually had a purple (probably a UV) in it. If I had to guess, they are probably 15 - 30 degree viewing angles which are pretty standard. Marine and Reef sells the entire panels to replace the LED panels in the Outer Orbits and other fixtures that have the 6 LED panels.

Better yet, you can always go to superbrightleds . com or electronic goldmine . com and order some of a few of the different blue LEDs with different viewing angles (15, 30 degree) and slightly different peak wavelengths (450, 470 nm) and intensities (I'd go as bright as you can find, they'll stay brighter, longer). Just make sure you get the same size, I think they are 5mm. Probably only cost you a few bucks and you will be able to match them up colorwirse and have spares so you can replace them as they become dim if you want to. Most of the companies are using cheap LEDs in their moonlighting stuff and they will all go dim relatively quickly. They will need replacement periodically to maintain brightness.