Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2007, 01:45 PM
Hawks Rule!

I went from a 72x24x24(180) to a 48x48x25 cube. I love it and have no regrets about it at all.

I have a hippo, red sea sailfin, yellow, and a chevron tang in there. I think they like having the depth vs. the extra two feet of length, but they don't talk so who knows?

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 07/20/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

i went from a 125 6-footer to a 2x2x2 cube. I will agree that it gets alot warmer.

I miss the room for tangs to swim as noted above, but the aquascaping options are great. It is alot smaller (60g cube) than the 125, but i like how it is easier to care for, though more touchy on the water parameters. All in all, i think that it is the nicest tank i have ever had.

CONS- no big, qiuck fish, (powder blues, big angels etc.)
Smaller volume- taller rather than longer (surface area)
touchy water parameters.
temp

PROS- original, fun to look at.
deeper and taller. - Great aquascaping
cheaper to maintain,
less evap etc.

thats all i can think of.
Old 07/20/2007, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

I had a 55 Gallon and changed to a 50 gallon 24x24x20 Cube and I absolutely love it. Yes, the fish choices are kind of limited as opposed to a longer tank, but the aquascaping ability is WELL worth it.
Old 07/20/2007, 05:00 PM
ummmmmm yeah

I have the answers to all your problems.......a 6 foot cube.......LOL

But I am thinking the same thing, so I am looking at a 4' cube about 26-30 deep that will be rimless. I think if you go with at least 4' you should be good for tangs and larger angle fish. The advantage with a cube is huge circle they will be able to swim in, and can see it from all sides.

Good luck with switch!
Old 07/20/2007, 11:41 PM
Premium Member

I went from a 72x30x24 225 gallon to a 40x40x22 cube (152 gallons). I have no regrets at all. Cubes are different, interesting, and totally unique!

The cube presented a few design challenges, such as how to mount lighting (I'm using a trifold canopy with a bank of 12 39 watt T5's), dealing with circulation (I settled on 4 Tunze 6055 Nanostreams), and maximized interior space (went with an external full-length overflow) for aquascaping.

One thing neat about cubes, as others have touched on, is the amazing opportunities they present for aquascaping...great depth and interest!

I was never a fan of big fish, so the ability to have lots of cool little fish in a tank with great aquascaping is too tempting! If you design the aquascaping effectively, you can get thrww different awesome viewing angles...

Anyways- I'm glad I went to a cube, and I'll bet you will be, too!

Scott