Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Re: Question regarding empty weight of your tank

Quote:
Originally posted by jksites
Bart,

I am about to adopt a 500 gallon acrylic tank, 120x30x30, and I'm trying to arrange movers for it. Do you, or anyone else reading this, know what the average weight per gallon for a 500+ gallon acrylic tank would be?

I assume 4 movers, but thought I would ask.

Thanks
Josh

BTW, your tank is amazing! I recently built in a 180 and the 500 is gonna have to be cichlids for now...

It took 6 people to moved my 96x30x30 1" thick acrylic tank from my drive way into my house. You should plan for at least 8 people minimum to move yours.
Old 07/12/2007, 12:12 PM
g0t fIsH

Re: Question regarding empty weight of your tank

Quote:
Originally posted by jksites
Bart,

I am about to adopt a 500 gallon acrylic tank, 120x30x30, and I'm trying to arrange movers for it. Do you, or anyone else reading this, know what the average weight per gallon for a 500+ gallon acrylic tank would be?

I assume 4 movers, but thought I would ask.

Thanks
Josh

BTW, your tank is amazing! I recently built in a 180 and the 500 is gonna have to be cichlids for now...
thanks, should be about 500-600lbs. it took 7 guys help me with the height of stand being 48"
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/12/2007, 12:15 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by danlu_gt
Awesome setup...

How do you clean the surface of your acrylic tank without scratching it? Any tips?
i use the magnavore 10 and changing the pad out every week. no matter you do hairline scratches will show up eventually.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/12/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Tanks looking really good. I would love to have money for something like that.
Old 07/12/2007, 01:53 PM
g0t fIsH

what scrapper are used to clean the bottom of acrylic with 30"H?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/13/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Question regarding empty weight of your tank

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
thanks, should be about 500-600lbs. it took 7 guys help me with the height of stand being 48"
My 450 gallon with 1 inch acrylic weighed 600 pounds empty.
Old 07/14/2007, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Wow! I didnt realize acrylic weighed so much.
Old 07/14/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

The glass counterpart was estimated at 1200-1400 lbs.
Old 07/17/2007, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Well I just spent last 4 hours looking at this thread and yelling at my wife in other room to" come look at this" every 5 min. All I can say is...... DAMN. That sound you heard earlier this morning was not thunder, but my jaw hitting the floor. A truly inspirational build. I lost my tank to Katrina over here on MS coast. I am just getting to the point where I want to build mine again and this thread has inspired me. Thank you

P.S I hope that someday I might be able to see this in person, my in-laws are in the Norco-LaPlace area.
P.P.S I'll bring the beer
Old 07/18/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Any chance of some new pics Bart? How's the fuge looking etc?
Old 07/18/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Yes I would to see some updated pics of everything. If possible some FTS. I am sure over time this will be an incredible tank, not saying that it isn't already. Congrats on finally get it up and going. So much time, work, and love. Now you really have something to show for it.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 07/18/2007, 11:45 AM
g0t fIsH

thanks guys, just taking a little time off but will resume my addiction in a week or so. i will be working on the fuge next. there's nothing new going on, but new camera will be coming soon so i will post some pics up .
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/18/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Fair enough! A break is well-deserved after such rapid progress on a major project like this.
Old 07/19/2007, 12:49 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Just finished reading your thread Bart. Absolutely amazing! I think I must have passed over what heaters you ended up with?

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 07/19/2007, 02:38 PM

I would bet dollars to donuts that with all those pumps and lights, he never even needs a heater. Mine have never turned on.
Old 07/19/2007, 03:45 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Probably true. Mine on my current tank never turn on but the system I am building now will have a sump out doors in a lean to shed off of my house. We get some cold winter nights around here so I want something good. Trying to find info on the Aquadyne fireplugs but information is limited.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 07/19/2007, 03:58 PM
g0t fIsH

thanks dandy7200, our coldest weather might get 30 deg thats if we're lucky other than that average 40-50 deg from jan-march.
no heaters needed with 6 400w MH, 6 sequence, 4 ehiem skimmer not including vho's yet is all the heat needed.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/19/2007, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I would bet dollars to donuts that with all those pumps and lights, he never even needs a heater. Mine have never turned on.
Ya know, that's something I'm a little disappointed about with my tank. Even here in the summer, when we get our cooler nights my tank is having to use 750w of heater most of the night to keep the temp up. It just cools REALLY FAST once the air temp is slightly below the water temp.

I'm disinclined to put covers on everything in an attempt to reduce evaporative cooling, because I use that very same effect to keep from having to buy a big, expensive chiller. But I am finding that 750w is borderline to keep the tank heated in the summer. I suspect I will be spending a small fortune on heating in the winter if I don't figure out another solution soon.

Sorry to hijack your thread Bart. I agree this may not be an issue for you since you're in considerably more humid climate.

Ben
Old 07/19/2007, 04:12 PM
g0t fIsH

no problem Ben, but you don't have half the pumps i have. the skimmer pumps itself produced tons of heat and along with others. 1st scenario to run 1 5800CL and 1 4300 return just to see how much heat is produced keeping temp around 82 deg. add on 2 more pumps at 84 deg then 2 more 86 deg then MH 87.9 deg. this is with the fish room temp at 75 deg all day long with complete insulation. i am still waiting for my electric bill to come hopefully my wife wont freak out but its too late for that. she still enjoy the entire system and teaching my kids different types of fish. as of now i lose about 3-4 gallons in evap a day that's with only 3 MH along with all pumps including skimmer. i will find out how much more when 3 other MH install.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/19/2007, 04:16 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
i will take 6 glazed from krispy kreme
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/19/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
no problem Ben, but you don't have half the pumps i have. the skimmer pumps itself produced tons of heat and along with others. 1st scenario to run 1 5800CL and 1 4300 return just to see how much heat is produced keeping temp around 82 deg. add on 2 more pumps at 84 deg then 2 more 86 deg then MH 87.9 deg. this is with the fish room temp at 75 deg all day long with complete insulation. i am still waiting for my electric bill to come hopefully my wife wont freak out but its too late for that. she still enjoy the entire system and teaching my kids different types of fish. as of now i lose about 3-4 gallons in evap a day that's with only 3 MH along with all pumps including skimmer. i will find out how much more when 3 other MH install.
Dang, that is a lot of heat. I feel for you!

For comparison, I evap about 15 gallons/day these days without active cooling. If the fan has to kick on during the heat of the afternoon, it roughly doubles.

Ben
Old 07/19/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Bart,
Very nice handy work and setup. I see you have choose the best equipment. I just moved to the LA area (Feb07). I have to take my 90 gal down during the move. I am considering setting up a 336 gal (72Lx36Wx36H) in Sept. It was nice of you to share you plans. I am sure this information will be handy in the upcoming months. I have not researched the details as you have, this will be my first large setup.... I considering using MRC (My Reef Creations) equipment. Have you heard anything about their Skimmers and Reactors? I have read so far Deltec is one of the best products to use.

Thanks and post more pics...
Ron
Old 07/19/2007, 08:47 PM

hey Ben, seems like that is a lot of evap for that size system. Perhaps you should change the program that starts your fans? I have mine come on at 78F. With the 1000+g in the system, it can get down to 76.5F at night but that's about it. Is yours a glass tank? If so that may be why. I run about 9 to 12g per day in evap.
Old 07/19/2007, 09:10 PM
g0t fIsH

welcome speedy14a and thanks, the only products i used so far is deltec, but as far MRC goes you might to post a new thread in lighting and equipment forum. hopefully someone there can answer your questions. Deltec are a little pricey but worth the money and energy efficient.

Jonathan i believed it's acrylic.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/19/2007, 09:24 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by speedy14a
Bart,
Very nice handy work and setup. I see you have choose the best equipment. I just moved to the LA area (Feb07). I have to take my 90 gal down during the move. I am considering setting up a 336 gal (72Lx36Wx36H) in Sept. It was nice of you to share you plans. I am sure this information will be handy in the upcoming months. I have not researched the details as you have, this will be my first large setup.... I considering using MRC (My Reef Creations) equipment. Have you heard anything about their Skimmers and Reactors? I have read so far Deltec is one of the best products to use.

Thanks and post more pics...
Ron
Ron, I'd reconsider the 36" depth unless you have long arms. I've got 30" deep and it's a pita. Might consider going longer and not as deep, just a suggestion.