Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/10/2007, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

Is anyon e sure about the life expectancy of mollies?

My brother told me a great starter fish was a mollie I informed him he was an idot. And he just got a smug look on his face and told me to try it so after dumping it in without an adjustment period it lived and the bet I lost would have payed for almost any Marine fish I would have wanted. But the mollie served its purpose and now will not die. I am disinclined to do any research whatsoever on this stupid fish (Bitter because I bet my bro 100 dollars over a 75 cent fish. I was never a big fan of terrorizing my tank in an attempt to catch one measely fish so i am going to let it die of old age I am wondering if anyone off the top of their head knows how long they live. No before you attempt to butcher me this is no Joke in fact I will bet you 100 dollars over the same 75 cent fish
Old 07/10/2007, 11:00 AM
Flowalicious

mollies are naturally brackish, so them surviving in salt water isnt unexpected. Some guppies, platies, and swordtails can live in salt too.

They live a couple of years, IIRC. Why do you want to get rid of it? Theyre decent algae eaters.
Old 07/10/2007, 12:39 PM
Hydrophilic

Ive had them live 4-5 years.
Consider that $100 payment for your most important lesson- research all of your animals before you add them to the tank.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 07/11/2007, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Fair enough I will suffer the next four to five years with the constant reminder that my brother got an easy 100 out of me. I personally find it entertaining other than that factor. I am the little brother even if I am twice his size but he is always right.LOL
Old 07/11/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Yes 5 years sounds about right
Old 07/12/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Son of a... LOL thanks for sparing me. the research.