Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/11/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

If you are not caring for your tank I would reccomend from my point of view and findings that a lighter regimen would suit you well. Freshly crushed Garlic has the highest content though garlic oil did me and my friends fine. As much as it is preached allicin is far from flawless. It does work but the delivery is the problem. I have read of some placing it directly into the water which would make it highly weakened so I simply soaked my food for 5 to 10 minutes prior to feeding. In the catching fish world it is common knowledge garlic stimulates fishes appetites. By feeding garlic you are killing two birds with one stone. Because fish like other organisms (Barring a few) Lose their appetite when stressed or ill. And you are still administering the allicin. Keep in mind you are still losing a great bit and short of harpooning your fish with a syringe it is unavoidable. Something is always lost on it way into the blood stream. Allicin has many interesting and fascinating qualities which is why the medical field is so interested. It boosts the immune system (Some wives tales are true.) is reputed to have antibiotic properties and the debates between my proffesor and others got heated to the point where physical violence was imminent. So lets assume that it does because my father in law had 65% of the bacteria die next to 23% in his study this means garlic actually does three things Makes em hungry, Helps em fight it natuarally and then Is an antibiotic?It is also reputed to "Mask" the fish which blocks one of the life stages of "ICH" though the author of this one said it was the best he could explain it (Marine Bioligist) which is well rounded because "ICH" Brings friends or rather opens the door to other infections and diseases.
Next up no science but my own backing it I added more minerals after reading that this assisted. You can leave it out but as far as fighting things the more minerals and vitamins that can be used in the fight the better. (This is the medical proffesion speaking. feel free to ignore the Vitamins and minerals I can not back it up scientifically It was anothers thoughts that I agreed with.)
Next up Natural helpers. Cleaner Gobies and cleaner shrimp. And as gobie pointed out cleaner wrasses though I know nothing about them. Anyone know if the light trick works too? It sounds very feasible to help in the fight.

Simplifiying with less wind Garlic, Minerals? (Maybe) Natural helpers. Well rounded and if worse comes to worse step it up a notch with other more common regimens. Mine is low stress low work. NO water changes other than the norm. five more minutes of your time and such. Does it work it has for everyone I know that has tried it. will it for you hey difficult to say my tank has a completely different ecosystem than anyone elses and they are all differnet than the ocean. If you would like scientific names mumbo jumbo and backing I will gladly dig it up for you. I see no point this was pretty cut and dry.