Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

flat worms

hi how can i get rid of flatworms without chemicals and is their something that eats them please help
Old 07/08/2007, 01:43 PM
Reefneck.

Coris wrasse and 6 line wrasse will eat them. If you reduce your feeding, they will slowly diminish and it will keep them from reproducing.

~Becca
Old 07/08/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Using the chemicals is very easy, I just did so to my tank a couple of weeks ago. Wheather or not you do treat your tank, you can always syphon them away. http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html
Old 07/08/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

yellow coris wrasse does a good job.
Old 07/09/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I had mine reduce a lot by cutting on the lightning schedule. Cut it in half for a week or two and they should disapear
Old 07/09/2007, 04:53 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

Increased water flow helps a TON.
Old 07/09/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

flatworm exit by salifert . I had flatworms in 2 diffrent tanks one tank had an insane ammout of flatworms in it and my 33 gal tank had only a few I dosed them both to manufactures recommendations the 33 gal worked good although it took a day or 2 to kill them off in my 55 gal my water turned yellow and corals were sliming and fish were swimming goofy I had to do a 911 water change about a week later the flatworms were back I nuked my tank with 3 bottles of flatworm exit did a 15 gal water change and Ive been flatworm free for over 8 months be carful for flatworm toxins when they melt it happens fast and the toxins will kill be ready to pull the fish out and move them to another tank and be ready with pre mixed salt for the waterchange. the sixline wrasse and the yellow coris is a waste I tried but a friend of mine had a blue damsel that loved flatworms I didnt belive him at first but I did see it and it was true I dont know if its an oddity but the flatworm deal stinks I keep salifert on hand if I see just one in any of my tanks I wont hesitate for a second to dump a whole bottle in. also if you have a ton in your tank try to siphion as many as possable out before treatment good luck.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

We had a really bad infestation of flat worms. We use the Salifert Flat Worm Exit. We dosed the tank using the instructions that came with it. But since we had such a bad problem we also hand treated by putting anything that had any flat worms on them in a bucket and swirling them around making the worms fall off. Our mushrooms and torch had them the worst. We first tried using a turkey baster to suction them off the mushrooms, that would have taken too long. Have not had a problem since.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Oops sorry that is in a bucket with the correct amount of the FWE.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Fiji Blue Devil Damsels, and several other Damsels will eat the from experience. They're not nice to other fish as well though.. Currently I've got a few Three Stripe Damsels(Convict Damsels) That I got from Petco because they had ALL FOUR of them in a 10 gal tank and were beating each other up. Oddly enough, the Three Strip damsels are flatworm Killers! I'd have gotten a sixline, but the tank is an open top, and I had no interest in loosing another fish..
Old 07/09/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

The convicts can get pretty aggressive once they get accustomed to your tank. Those and Domino's.