Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/07/2007, 12:05 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Sea grass in a reef aquarium?

Hi all. I am setting up a new 220 gallon tank that I plan on have lots of swimming room for some tangs. I plan on having 2-3" or so of fine sand in the display tank. There will be a lot of open sand area. Is it possible to get some sea grass or other natural looking macro to grow in the sand and not on the rocks? Is there such a thing that tangs wont eat and will grow to take over the open sand areas?
I really dont know anything about macros other then chaeto. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 07/07/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Seagrass will not grow on rocks, but macros like caulerpa will definitely spread to the rocks. I'm not too sure about whether tangs would pick on them or not though.
Old 07/07/2007, 03:38 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Thanks. there were 2 important things, one was that I didnt want it to grow on the rocks and the other was that I didnt want tangs to eat it.

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 07/07/2007, 05:01 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Anybody know if aby of the seagrasses like turtlegrass are tang-safe?

Old 07/07/2007, 05:10 PM
Seamonkey on my back

nope, I occasionally get shipments in with the random shoot of turtle & manatee grass mixed in. none have withstood the tangs. they preferred it over caulerpa.

Rick
Old 07/07/2007, 05:13 PM
Seamonkey on my back

the purple tang in my display has even taken out udotea sea fan, halimeda, shaving brush, codium, and neomeris.

Rick
Old 07/07/2007, 05:46 PM
Here's lookin at you

If you went with a Bristletooth Tang the seagrass would be safe, but like Rick said the other Tangs will most likely find it desireable.

Turtle grass will require a sand be deeper than 2-3 inches. 5+ will be required. You could go with Halodule ( shoal grass ) or any of the species of Halophila you find available in a shallow sand bed.

"The world is headed for mutiny when all we want is unity" Scott Stapp, Creed
Old 07/08/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

I have thallasia in my 30g reef with only 3'' of sand and it have grow a lot they were ony 2-4'' tall now the are over a 12'', here is a pic:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/08/2007, 05:58 PM
Sea cowgirl

20 - sweet lookign setup! Great colors and contrast with the greens. You should start your own thread and give us details on what lighting they're under and their tankmates!

Ricks - Interesting to hear your purple took on the more calcerous algaes. That observation is definitely going in my notebook.

>Sarah
Old 07/08/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

I have thallasia in my 30g reef with only 3'' of sand and it have grow a lot they were ony 2-4'' tall now the are over a 12'', here is a pic:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/08/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Samala and sorry for the double post Im trying t delete it but I cant, I already have a tread og the tank in the nano section theres a way tahat can be transfered?
Old 07/14/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Thallassia should grow fine in the reef as long as the sand is a few inches deep, fine grain and there is enough light and nutrients. We are almost finished replanting the seagrass tank at my job. Been working on it for a few days now and the squid and seahorses are not too happy with the disturbances. I'll post some pics when it's done and cleared.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.