Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/07/2007, 06:37 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by hdyoung
Hey All,

Questions for the T5 gurus.

Two years ago, after browsing this forum extensively, I bought a 6 bulb Tek fixture for my tank, which became a SPS dominated system. The bulb setup I settled on was:

GE daylight
Actinic+
Aquablue
Aquablue
Actinic+
GE Daylight

The fixture is only a few inches from the water surface. I have very little splash. The bulbs need to be wiped off every now and then. No noticeable corrosion anywhere after 24 months. I am happy with the coloration this setup gives me. I am running the center bulbs for about 7 hours, and the outer 2 daylights for 10, making for a sunrise and sunset of about 90 minutes. This setup has worked fine for the past 2 years, at least as far as healthy, growing corals are concerned. Just in the past month I have started to notice some things that hint at bulb replacement.

My question is this: should I just replace the bulbs with identical ones, or are there things that I can (easily) do to improve the setup? For example, are there any newer bulbs that are significantly better then the ones I bought 2 years ago? What about swapping parts out on my tek fixture? I know that I could replace the ballast and overdrive the bulbs, but what about changing out the reflectors? I am not above modding my fixture at this point, if it doesnt require my own machine shop.

My general impression, after reading parts of this thread, is that there may be some newer bulbs that are slightly better then the ones I selected 2 years ago, but not a ton better. Someone tell me if I am wrong. Also, I seem to remember that it is difficult to fit icecap reflectors in a tek fixture, but again I might be mistaken.

Suggestions from people who know more then me? Heck, I'll even take advice from people who know less
Unless you want to make a major change go with what you have. Personally I would use blue and actinic lamps for the dusk/dawn.

I'd try this

Front
UVL Actinic Plus
Blue Plus (ATI is a better lamp than the Giesemann)
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue
GE 10K
Blue Plus

You lose a little PAR going to the UVL Super Actinic in place of an Aquablue but your picking up with the Aquasun and Blue Pluses so it will be at least a wash and probably a net gain.

If you have ran your lamps 2 years I would suggest replacing one lamp a week lest you blast your critters with a ton of intensity they ain't seen in two years.
Old 07/07/2007, 06:42 PM

Swap the position of the Aquablue with the front blue Plus. If that doesn't get you there move the Aquasun toward the front as well.
Old 07/07/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

I dont remember if I read this or if I'm making it up but are there some bulbs(the colors) that can wash other colors out by being next to them?
Old 07/07/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Anyone here tried both the sfiligoi actinic and the uvl superactinic? How does it compare visually? What about PAR numbers?
Old 07/07/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Grim -

Yeah, Im sure if I just replaced the bulbs I would bleach my whole system

I was generally thinking of replacing all of them, then placing sheets of netting on my tank top, and removing them seuqentially. However, your suggestion seems much easier. If I replace one per week, do you think I can skip having to raise the fixture or playing with shading materials?
Old 07/08/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys.. is there any major difference in the Tek T5 retrofit kit and the light fixture. I am looking at the 4x54W and currently do not have a canopy. I was wondering if it was worth the extra extra expense to go with a canopy or just go with the fixture. I am running a 55g tank.
Old 07/08/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Are hamilton T5 retros good? http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/sh...+Retrofit+Kits
Old 07/08/2007, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

IceCap 660 n00b question

Sorry n00b question here..

Can the IceCap 660 on a 4x54w bulbs setup run the 2 blues and the 2 daylights seperately like on a timer like when simulating disk\dawn or would I have to get an additional ballast for that?

Let me know if this didnt quite make sense...

Thanks in advance!
Old 07/08/2007, 12:00 PM
Psuedo Member

no the IC cant run them independent of each other. You could get 2 440s and do that(if you wanted to stay IC)
Old 07/08/2007, 12:45 PM
One Good Friend

Hamilton retro's are not good.
Old 07/08/2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TracyZeuner
I dont remember if I read this or if I'm making it up but are there some bulbs(the colors) that can wash other colors out by being next to them?
Blues will take out green or yellow tints from daylights.

Quote:
Originally posted by TracyZeuner
Blues will take out green or yellow tints from daylights.

Quote:
Originally posted by HecticDialectic
Anyone here tried both the sfiligoi actinic and the uvl superactinic? How does it compare visually? What about PAR numbers?
I havent done PAR numbers but I couldn't see a real difference in the effect of the lamps.
Old 07/08/2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beedyb220
Hey guys.. is there any major difference in the Tek T5 retrofit kit and the light fixture. I am looking at the 4x54W and currently do not have a canopy. I was wondering if it was worth the extra extra expense to go with a canopy or just go with the fixture. I am running a 55g tank.
Not a huge difference
Old 07/08/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Couple of questions. I am new to the addiction and need some help. I have a 29 gal. I have some softies and a bubble tip nem. I am currently running a 65 watt PC. I just ordered a SLR reflector and an aquablue 24 watt bulb to put in an All Glass hood I had from a FW tank. First question is should I set the hood on the water with the glass splah shield/ set it on the water and use an acrylic shiled/ or use no shield and raise it 3-4" of the water? Should that be enough light. I do not plan on having any SPS, maybe an LPS in the future. Also, can I get by with the balast for the 17 watt that came with the hood? I can get an Advance Ballast for cheap. Should I use that? If so is overdriving just "double wiring" the one bulb? Is there a good site out there with this info? This thread has so much info to take in for my small tank. Any suggestions??
Old 07/08/2007, 04:03 PM

You need a T5 ballast. I would use 2 T5's. One might get you by but T5 ballasts are made to fire 2 lamps so you might as well use 2.
Old 07/08/2007, 04:46 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

What about this combo for the 4 T5

ATI Blue Plus
UV 14000K Aqua Blue
ATI 11000K Aquab Blue
ATI Blue Plus
Old 07/08/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Which online store hs the best price and quality T5 retros?
Old 07/08/2007, 04:58 PM
Sleep Deprived Senior

reef geek
Old 07/08/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks to Grims suggestion i just set up the aquatinics tX5 with 3 Aquablue Plus 11K's and 2 Pure actinics on sunrise/sunset. So for i think it looks much better than the metal halide/VHO actinic setup. I don't have much in the tank (a leather, some hairy schrooms and a candy cane for now) I'm waiting to see how the react. The greens defanitely pop alot more than with the halides.
Old 07/08/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockethippo12
Which online store has the best price and quality T5 retros?
Which online store that ships to Canada
Old 07/08/2007, 05:53 PM
Member ACROS Reef Club

Help from the T5 gurus..I am currently running a Aquamedic 2x250w DE Halide and 2X39w T5 setup which is 36" long over a 92 corner. I do not have any major sps and really do not plan to. I do have a very large clam, many softies and shroom, rics and zoa's..I want to switch to a T5 setup, I need a nice looking pendant that is 36" long. I want the most reliable, economical to run setup. Not sure if I will need 4 or 6 bulbs and which bulbs to run. Deffinetly want actinics on 1 switch for dusk to dawn effect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07/08/2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by superswimmer
What about this combo for the 4 T5

ATI Blue Plus
UV 14000K Aqua Blue
ATI 11000K Aquab Blue
ATI Blue Plus
I am not sure if UVL made a new lamp or if that is a typo for their actinic white which I think is a futt bugly lamp.

I would WAy rather have this

Front
Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 07/08/2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rockethippo12
Which online store that ships to Canada
I think Big Als but I am not sure what they have for T5 stuff.
Old 07/08/2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by myakkareef
Help from the T5 gurus..I am currently running a Aquamedic 2x250w DE Halide and 2X39w T5 setup which is 36" long over a 92 corner. I do not have any major sps and really do not plan to. I do have a very large clam, many softies and shroom, rics and zoa's..I want to switch to a T5 setup, I need a nice looking pendant that is 36" long. I want the most reliable, economical to run setup. Not sure if I will need 4 or 6 bulbs and which bulbs to run. Deffinetly want actinics on 1 switch for dusk to dawn effect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
See if Aquactinics has the 36" Constellation fixture out yet. That has 7 lamps which I think would be best over a corner tank. What's nice is it's 3 channels so you can set it up with actinic, add blues and then daylights. If they made a 5 foot fixture I would have one on my tank.