Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2007, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

re-arranging rock formation

I've decided that tomorow i will perform my first major rock re-arrangement since i've stocked it with fish. I was wondering, just through experience, should i be removing the fish before i do it? or should it be alright if i leave them in there while remodelling- it's probably going to be impossible to try and catch some of them anyway...
what do you guys think?

thankyou
Old 07/05/2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

just another quick noob question. Leaning the LR on the glass is ok?
Old 07/05/2007, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Leave the fish in. Take the rock out carfully, just enough out so you can move the remainder around easily. Put what you take out in some of your tank water in a container to keep it wet. As you rearrange keep an eye on fish and any snails, crabs etc. so you don't bury them. Don't mix the sand up too much, keep the stuff flying around to a minimum. You should be good to go. Replace water you took out for the container of live rock with new saltwater mix. An instant water change!

Live rock should not be leaning on the glass. Harder to clean glass around it, additional pressure on the glass-seams that could cause problems down the road.

JMO FWIW
Old 07/05/2007, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

I left my fish in there when I reaquascaped my tank. I just removed all of my corals to separate containers along with about half of my water. I rearranged my live rock and then put the corals back in with new water. It took a few hours to finish.