Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

rubbermaid sump Users, quick questions??

Looks like this may be a good route for me as i found a tub that fits my stand perfect...Just wanted to make sure what brands are OK to use, Im guessing rubbermaid is ok, what about sterlite(spelling) also what is used in these to make chambers, and what glue to use? Seems like a cheap route to use....thanks for any quick help
Old 06/27/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

I use rubbermaid for my brood stock system that has about 10K worth of fish in there, have used sterilite sometimes with larvae but not enough to known them well, I use a lot of these for larvae it does not get more delicate than that:

http://www.tufftubs.com/

most local farm supply stores carry them, they even find you a store if you email them, and they are cheap.

Ed
Old 06/27/2007, 01:47 PM
One Good Friend

The only prob with using rubbermaids is there aren't really chambers. It bow's adn the chambers won't work. I suggest it its not going to be seen to wrap alot of duct tape around it. I know its kinda silly but it'll keep it from bowing out. Also, you can add smaller rebbermaid's in there for chambers ; ) Has the same effect. I have two 40g rubbermaid's connected to one another for a 40g fuge and a 40sump. It works perfect. The only thing i don't like about it is that the bottom isn't flat so you have to get a stand for your skimmer.
Old 06/27/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

yeah, thats the only thing i wasnt sure about the bowing part..Im not planing on running a superlot of water through it and its not going to be for a big system so i wasnt sure..but i like the duct tape idea...thanks keep the coming!!
Old 06/27/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

yea I had the same question. How do you put baffles or dividers in there? Are they even needed?
Old 06/27/2007, 03:38 PM
One Good Friend

Dividers are smaller rubbermaids in the larger rubbermaids.
Old 06/27/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

I do not really understand how to set that up. Does anybody have any pics? Sorry for the hassel I just want to get this right.

Thanks
Sean
Old 06/28/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Well if you want to make chambers or baffles in the rubbermaid containers you can use eggcrate with a thin layer of plexi. Not very pretty but worked well for my Fresh tank.
Old 06/28/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

alright cool. Thanks a lot. I have been doing some looking around and I think I got the rubbermaid tub inside idea now. Thanks a ton.

Sean
Old 06/28/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Some of the Rubbermaid products have "feet", extruded protrusions on the base. Removing these is a must, imo. I can personally attest to the damage a leak from these can do if the weight in the tub wins a battle with the plastic.

I have used Rubbermaid products in a variety of shapes and been very satisfied but I try to reinforce the "ripples" on the bottom; a "frame" of some type with a bit of foam insulation into which I press the Rubbermaid is just one way to do that.

Good luck!
Old 06/29/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

So are you saying grind the "feet" off of the bottom. I have a 100 gallon tub rght now for curing live rock and it has the feet but it has had no problems for 1.5 years.

Thanks
Sean
Old 06/29/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Good idea.
Old 06/29/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckNorris
So are you saying grind the "feet" off of the bottom. I have a 100 gallon tub rght now for curing live rock and it has the feet but it has had no problems for 1.5 years.

Thanks
Sean
I have a 150g Rubbermaid trough that I trust tremendously; it's "feet" are a web of plastic. This replaced my ~50g tub that forced itself down over one corner of a foot that was about .5" tall all the way around the tub. It was after about a year or so of service.

I might have jostled it or some such but the mess was quite the event. I now ensure that the bottom is as flat as I can make it if it doesn't start out that way. I just did this with a new trash can for a nano's sump.
Old 06/29/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

So the bottom just suddenly collapsed one day?
Old 06/29/2007, 11:58 PM
Wet-fingered Reefer

I had this setup for 6 years before switching to an acrylic sump...two Rubbermaid totes plumbed together...

Right side drain from tank and fuge...

Left side, skimmer and return...

Old 06/30/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Wow I like that idea. Do you think it is easier than having a 100 gal rubbermaid tub. I was planning on having a 40 gal tub like yours for a refugium.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

I'm limited to 18" in width max for a sump, does anyone know where I could get a rubbermaid or similar container close to that size in width?
Old 06/30/2007, 02:29 AM
Wet-fingered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by ludnix
I'm limited to 18" in width max for a sump, does anyone know where I could get a rubbermaid or similar container close to that size in width?
I would try target and walmart.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:35 AM
Wet-fingered Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckNorris
Wow I like that idea. Do you think it is easier than having a 100 gal rubbermaid tub. I was planning on having a 40 gal tub like yours for a refugium.
I like the larger volume lf the 100 gal tub. You could use the 40 gal tub within the 100 tub for the fuge. It could have a seperate water feed and have it overflow into the 100 gal.
Old 06/30/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

4 - 5 wraps of Duct Tape around the top before you fill the Rubbermaid container with water will prevent the Bowing.
Old 06/30/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glaudds
I like the larger volume lf the 100 gal tub. You could use the 40 gal tub within the 100 tub for the fuge. It could have a seperate water feed and have it overflow into the 100 gal.
Yea i was planning on having the refugium seperate in a 40 gal rubbermaid container. Thanks for the duct tape advice as well.
Old 07/01/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Here are a couple of pics of the feet I will be addressing as I put this Rubbermaid XL into service as an RSDB (it's this tub, btw):

The failure point has been for me one of the inside corners. As the weight (in this tub, pushing 300 lbs.) bears down (possibly compounded by the lateral effects of bowing), a leak developed around one of those corners.

I will do with this one what I wish I had done with the last one. I will make a frame out of 2 x 6 and plywood. I will put some of that foam insulation in the bottom (about an inch), set the tub in to its feet on the plywood and then fill the gaps between the frame and the tub with more. I let it sit for 24 hours and trim away the excess and paint the frame.

I want the foam to fill all those ridges, too, as I suspect that Rubbermaid didn't stress test these things for the uses for which we intend them. At 42" long and with handles, I am sure that Rubbermaid thought the average person rarely puts much more than 75lbs. in it.

Just seems to me that putting 35-40gals. of moving water through it might be more than it can take without a lot of help...