Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Rusty Gorognia

Hello,
Last week I received some free "Nano Rusty Gorgonia" in an order from sealifeinc.net. It's a reddish/brown color, with little "hands" all over it that close up when the lights go out. I have them in a 12gDX nanocube with 72W of PC light. I have been told they're shallow water photosynthetic corals, but that's about all I know. They seem to be doing alright in my tank. Can anyone give me any more info on them? I can include some fuzzy photos for ID if need be.
They're pretty cool little things.. I added some fish today that stirred up the sand a bit, and when any floating bits of sand hit one of the little "hands", it would clench up tight for a moment and then unclench. Pretty cool stuff.
Thanks,
~Adam D.
Old 06/28/2007, 11:21 PM
RC Mod

[ericsbook]

That book has some information on gorgonians. If it's got zooxanthellae, it might do pretty well. It'd appreciate some small-sized food at night, maybe Cyclop-Eeze or similar sized items.
Old 06/29/2007, 09:53 AM
CDMAS

My gorgonians seem to prefer rotifers to cyclopeeze

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:33 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

my corky fingers eats everything it can catch, even flakes
Old 06/29/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

I think I got all of my gorgonias from sealifeinc.net too, if I remember correctly. Good shop. My rusty grows fast with weekly feedings of rotifers and phytoplankton. I use reef-nutrition: http://www.reed-store.com/?category=47 All my gorgis seem to love that stuff.
Old 07/06/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
I came back from out of town, and the person topping off my tank had added a whole bunch of extra top off water. The salinity is down to about 1.021 from 1.023, but everyone seems to be ok in the tank.. I'll just let evaporation do its job and not top off for a few days!
As of right now I have not fed the corals at all, and they seem to be doing just fine.. It probably won't hurt to feed them a little bit, though =)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in order of physical size (of frozen food) it goes.
Brine > Mysis > Rotifers > Cyclopeeze
Is that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have a pair of jawfish, @ 2-3 inches in size. I want to get some food that both they and the corals can eat.. would rotifers be the right thing to get?
Thanks again for the advice!
Old 07/07/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

If your gorg is photosynthetic, it may not even be necessary to feed it.

Now if you had a non photosynthetic gorg, I would really worry about what to feed it.

Definitely get that book that someone above showed. Its REALLY informative.
Old 07/08/2007, 10:54 PM
CDMAS

Quote:
[i]=)
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in order of physical size (of frozen food) it goes.
Brine > Mysis > Rotifers > Cyclopeeze
Is that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have a pair of jawfish, @ 2-3 inches in size. I want to get some food that both they and the corals can eat.. would rotifers be the right thing to get?
Thanks again for the advice! [/B]
Live rotifers would be refrigerated (check out reef nutrition) not frozen

size is:

Mysis>Brine>Cyclopeeze>Rotifers

I have three gorgonians all are photosynthetic but appreciate being fed, as all corals do. A blend of phytoplankton and zooplankton is best. Going completely out on a limb I'm going to guess that your rusty gorgonian is realted to my purple plume sea whip. I'm too lazy to research that right now, but last time I saw that trade name it was a pretty close approximation.

I feed my corals live rotifers/phytoplankton/oyster eggs

All of the above are too small to interest most fish plus most corals don't actually eat phytoplankton although some (goniopora) do at least in part.

My fish eat mysis, arctic pods, krill, squid, omega one veggi flakes and nori. All too big to interest the corals with small polyps. FWIW my corky finger doesn't seem to respond to large food even though the polyps are noticeably larger than any other gorgonian that I own.

Define Irony: Algae growing on a snail.