Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/28/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Table Salt

What ingredients and in what quantity do I have to add to table salt in order to make it useable for macroalgae? I'm planning to set up a macroalgae only tank, no coral, no fish, no invertebrate so I think there is no need to use brand name saltmix. This tank is not set up for beauty purpose but for culture purpose. The only thing I need is the growth of macroalgae. Does anybody has a DIY salt recipe that can serve my purpose?

Thank you.
Old 06/28/2007, 05:40 PM
RC Mod

I'm not sure how a macroalga would respond to a table salt solution, but I'd expect it to die quickly. There are DIY salt mixes around, but they're not very practical unless you have access to low-cost specialty chemicals. I just used water discarded during water changes.
Old 06/28/2007, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Table salt has iodine in it. It is added to regular salt so that we can get the trace iodine in our system that we need (humans). It is food grade BUT, the FDA allows certain particulate matter in foods (read unknown ingredients and particulate matter). I would definitely NOT use any salt that is produced as food for a saltwater organism, it's not the same stuff.

Nor would I salt my steak with Instant Ocean ;-)

FWIW, I am an ACF Certified Chef and know more about food than I do my saltwater tank.

My .02 cents
Old 06/28/2007, 09:35 PM
Mortar Target

Whenever I need to give my plants in my FW tank a boost, I add potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. If you really want to go one step further, CO2 injection would really make algae thrive.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Great info Henry, thanks.