Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member.

Reef Raft is very unethical.

Beware doing business with Jensen from Reef Raft in Toronto.Good deal first time. Second time promised things to 2-4 different people, then told them all different prices to see who would pay more. Very very corrupt. Then charged my credit card after I cancelled my order. This guy is a piece of work.
Old 06/13/2007, 08:26 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Can you PM the details? Better yet, email me.
Old 06/19/2007, 10:13 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
dude that sucks...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 06/19/2007, 10:31 AM
Moved On

Any Updates?
Old 06/19/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Old 06/26/2007, 02:42 PM
Moved On

Here's an update for you folks...

First dealing = called me night and day to choose nice stuffs for him. Even sold him the reverse sunset monti at a very good price. Shipped his items.. he was very happy and called to say he was very happy.

Second dealing = sent everyone pictures of the acans. Another person picked the ones he wanted and practically begged me to send him the ones already picked. I chopped a bit of it for him and charged him RETAIL.. since he didn't have a RETAIL license. Explained to him that I couldn't sell to him for WHOLESALE price for the simple reason that it would be UNFAIR for all other stores who has the license to sell. He got upset and said that he would never deal with me. Jackson wanted to pull a fast one on me by having me sell to him at a wholesale level.

He then emailed me calling me a thief... ask anyone that i dealt with about how i do business why don't you????

I told him i will charge him $150 for the permit application... that is the only thing i charged him with.. you want a proof? I can provide.

Jackson... tell the whole story man... don't leave bits and pieces and make us look like the bad one here. I told you before.. and will tell you again, I WOULD RATHER SELL TO PEOPLE WHO ARE HONEST... AND THAT MY FRIEND ISN'T YOU.
Old 06/26/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I told him i will charge him $150 for the permit application... that is the only thing i charged him with.. you want a proof? I can provide.

We'll never really know all the facts, but I'm curious, what sort of application costs $150? Truly curious, thanks!
Old 06/26/2007, 03:54 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
cities?

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 06/27/2007, 11:50 AM
Moved On

Re: Reef Raft is very unethical.

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10136324#post10136324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by water hazzard
Beware doing business with Jensen from Reef Raft in Toronto.Good deal first time.

Second time promised things to 2-4 different people, then told them all different prices to see who would pay more.

- That's because YOU wanted to get the items at WHOLESALE PRICE while YOU don't operate as a store and have no overhead. How is this fair for everyone who does have license to sell??? YOU on the other hand lied about not selling frags on the side and told me YOU are strictly a collector. Besides, the ones you wanted were already sold and YOU begged me to send some to you.. which i did. Its simple Jackson... retails shops gets wholesale price... hobbyists gets retail price.

Very very corrupt. Then charged my credit card after I cancelled my order. This guy is a piece of work.

- YOU very well know your CC wasn't charged except for the permit application fee. YOU even received an email from me prior... so don't make it sound like i'm a crook... you want me to copy and paste the emails here? I'll be more than happy to do it.
Old 06/27/2007, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

These boards can be good and bad. The ones who try to take advantage of the online businesses for personal gain makes posts like these bad. We are lucky enough to have a supplier in Canada that is willing to go out of his way to ship corals into the US. and fill out all the paperwork and this is how he gets treated. Truely sad and Thanks Jenz for sending us nice corals!
Old 06/28/2007, 06:31 AM
Registered Member.

Glad I caught this one. Lets call a duck a duck. Never dealt with supplier/dealer that sent different prices on same things todifferent people. If this wasnt so bad was asked not to contant other customers. Why I ask, .....besause the prices are different. You would have never asked me not to confer with the guys in Cali if you were not up to something.(ie price gouging an isolated east coaster)As far as Im concerned he has great coral but this business is for from ethical. This will be all I have to say about this because he can try and spin it anyway he wants. Im not the only one that he has been shady with.
Old 06/28/2007, 12:27 PM
Member Registered

I'm not picking sides.

Water Hazzard - he has already said that the price difference is because you are a retail customer and not a wholesale customer. That makes a lot of sense. If there is more to it than that you should say so. Otherwise it sounds like you are just complaining about prices because you didn't get the cheapest possible. But then again you don't have a sellers permit.

Jenz - What I find strange is that you admit that you cut pieces from colonies to sell to this guy but other people already order those corals. Did you give them a discount since you chopped their pieces? I know I wouldn't be happy if I ordered some corals and found that the middle man cut them to sell pieces to someone else. Maybe that is what Water Hazzard is complaining about. Did you charge him full price for small pieces of someone elses corals?

Again I am not picking sides. Just pointing out what I see.
Old 06/28/2007, 01:17 PM
Moved On

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10227681#post10227681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chads29
These boards can be good and bad. The ones who try to take advantage of the online businesses for personal gain makes posts like these bad. We are lucky enough to have a supplier in Canada that is willing to go out of his way to ship corals into the US. and fill out all the paperwork and this is how he gets treated. Truely sad and Thanks Jenz for sending us nice corals!
Thanks Chads... i'm not sure why this person (Jackson just don't understand)
Old 06/28/2007, 01:24 PM
Moved On

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10233136#post10233136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al G Blenny
I'm not picking sides.

Water Hazzard - he has already said that the price difference is because you are a retail customer and not a wholesale customer. That makes a lot of sense. If there is more to it than that you should say so. Otherwise it sounds like you are just complaining about prices because you didn't get the cheapest possible. But then again you don't have a sellers permit.

===> Matt, exactly my point. He tried to get it a a wholesale level while he is not even a store who pays overhead. Meanwhile, he sells frags on the side....

Jenz - What I find strange is that you admit that you cut pieces from colonies to sell to this guy but other people already order those corals. Did you give them a discount since you chopped their pieces? I know I wouldn't be happy if I ordered some corals and found that the middle man cut them to sell pieces to someone else. Maybe that is what Water Hazzard is complaining about. Did you charge him full price for small pieces of someone elses corals?

=== > Ofcourse i wouldn't charge him the full price cos everything is sold by the polyps. So in other words, the number of polyps is EXACTLY what he would get charged. The only reason why i cut the piece is because he begged me to sell to him. I thought i was doing him a favor since we had bought stuffs the first time... but obviously i was wrong.

Again I am not picking sides. Just pointing out what I see.
Old 06/28/2007, 01:30 PM
Moved On

Quote:
[B] Never dealt with supplier/dealer that sent different prices on same things todifferent people. If this wasnt so bad was asked not to contant other customers. Why I ask, .....besause the prices are different.

===> Jackson, you just don't get it do you? Do you have a sellers permit? Are you a retailer?

You would have never asked me not to confer with the guys in Cali if you were not up to something.(ie price gouging an isolated east coaster)As far as Im concerned he has great coral but this business is for from ethical. This will be all I have to say about this because he can try and spin it anyway he wants. Im not the only one that he has been shady with.

===> Thank you for complimenting my corals. As far as people i've been shady with.... I ASK THAT ALL OF THEM TO COME TO THIS BOARD AND CHIME IN.. PLEASE.
[/QUOTE]
Old 06/28/2007, 01:34 PM
Moved On

Quote:
[B] Never dealt with supplier/dealer that sent different prices on same things todifferent people. If this wasnt so bad was asked not to contant other customers. Why I ask, .....besause the prices are different.

===> Jackson, you just don't get it do you? Do you have a sellers permit? Are you a retailer?

You would have never asked me not to confer with the guys in Cali if you were not up to something.(ie price gouging an isolated east coaster)As far as Im concerned he has great coral but this business is for from ethical. This will be all I have to say about this because he can try and spin it anyway he wants. Im not the only one that he has been shady with.

===> Thank you for complimenting my corals. As far as people i've been shady with.... I ASK THAT ALL OF THEM TO COME TO THIS BOARD AND CHIME IN.. PLEASE.
[/QUOTE]

THIS WOULD ALSO BE THE LAST I'D EVEN TRY TO MAKE JACKSON UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RETAIL AND WHOLESALE COS AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED... HE HAS NO CLUE AND DON'T SEE THE DIFFERENCE.

Thanks
Old 06/28/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member.

I guess after my first $8,000 dollar order I should have gotten a retailers license to get them cheaper??? Oh well lesson learned.
Old 06/28/2007, 01:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10233573#post10233573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by water hazzard
Oh well lesson learned.
===> for us both my friend. THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS.
Old 06/28/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member.

Thanks for everyones input and even your Jenz. Maybe I dont understand your whole price thing but I do understand money and when something is wrong. This is all I have to say on this matter for I am in this for no gain just a to inform buyers and that has been done. Thanks
Old 06/28/2007, 02:07 PM
Member Registered

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10233573#post10233573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by water hazzard
I guess after my first $8,000 dollar order I should have gotten a retailers license to get them cheaper??? Oh well lesson learned.
Exactly. You should have. Businesses have to file different paperwork for selling retail vs. wholesale. Some businesses do both but it makes book keeping a lot harder. Businesses that have invested in getting a retail business license and a sellers permit don't want to find out that the wholesalers they are buying from are selling at the same price to retail customers. Most retail businesses would boycott the wholesalers because why would you buy from your competition? This is all basic business and I just don't understand what the problem is at this point. There is no secret that Reef Raft sold to you at a higher price and it is justified.

Just remember that if you did get a business license you would be obligated to file your taxes for that business during tax time. Even if you claim to have made no money at all for that business you will have to pay taxes on your current inventory. Even if you claim you only bought for your personal use or "store use". You have to pay the taxes on stuff you bought wholesale. You also have to deal with the IRS if they feel that you should be audited.
Old 07/03/2007, 08:58 AM
Guardian of Little People

You don't pay income taxes on inventory. You pay income taxes on profits on sales of inventory.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 07/03/2007, 11:41 AM
Member Registered

I'm not sure what type of tax it is but you do have to pay tax on standing inventory. Maybe that's just here in Cali. I'm not sure.
Old 07/03/2007, 12:16 PM
Full Time Tank Slave

Matt are you referring to the tax on equipment from the board of equalization?
Old 07/04/2007, 08:25 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10264629#post10264629 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Al G Blenny
I'm not sure what type of tax it is but you do have to pay tax on standing inventory. Maybe that's just here in Cali. I'm not sure.
That's got to be a Cali thing. I know in NY I only have to pay tax on income like Brian mentions. Sales tax is only collected and paid on items sold in state. No taxes of any kind on standing inventory.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)