Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/23/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

OT: Duck with babies in my yard pool

I just found that duck hatched their eggs in my backyard and my i got 4 babies. i used see the male and female but now its just female with the babies.

i caught the 4 babies and put them in a bucket with water cuz they had no way of gettin out of the pool. mom is goin crazy cuz she hears them but cant see them.

i wanna catch her and put them all in a park with water. theres no way for me to catch the mom cuz she will fly.

what should i do?

ps. will humane society be able to catch the mom?
Old 06/23/2007, 06:41 PM
Moved On

She won't fly without the young. Best to let them out and have her take care of them.
Old 06/23/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

well that means duck pooing all over my pool.
Old 06/23/2007, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

We once took an abandoned Mom-Duck and her "kids" to Balboa Park's lake which has other ducks,only to find out that the park rangers would remove them and have them put down since they didn't want any diseases introduced to the park's ducks.

Try the resources on this link:

http://www.liveducks.com/help.html
Old 06/23/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Honestly, it stinks with the poo, however you are far better allowing the mom to raise them and move on. Take pictures, it will be a memorable experience.

Jed Bartlet, The West Wing
Old 06/23/2007, 10:51 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by dkreef
well that means duck pooing all over my pool.
In your first post I read pool as pond. Did not expect ducks to settle in a swimming pool.
Old 06/24/2007, 11:07 AM
prememum member

you could go rent a haveaheart trap to catch the momma duck. You might be able to use the ducklings as bait to lure her into the trap. Then relocate to a lake... kind of a pita, but you will feel better when its done.
Old 06/24/2007, 11:16 AM
It's Domo-kun

Duck... it's what's for dinner.

Maybe you can get an inflatable pool large enough for the ducks. They might prefer that to the chlorine water of your swimming pool. I am surprised they go in there at all with the chlorine.

I'm sure there is some obsession board for ducks you can check out. duckcentral.com ?
Old 06/24/2007, 12:04 PM
Worker Drone

Not that this matters at all, but I've a long history of helping wild critters. Birds, mostly.

The suggestion of getting an inflatable pool of some sort makes sense. That they go in a pool with chlorine doesn't surprise me; seen it many times.

If you don't care, then there's nothing more to be said. If you do, though, I'd suggest that you call someone who might have some experience with them. Try an Arboretum (sp?). Also, places like the Bracken Bird Farm (http://www.brackenbird.com/).

I know ducks are messy and a bit of a pain. More so than most birds. But personally, I've always found it very, very rewarding to see the babies I've raised grow up and move on.

If you would, please let us know how it goes.

Be an IT consultant!
Old 06/24/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

You really need to catch them. If you dont she will just bring them back next season with friends http://wildliferehabber.com/modules/...?itemid=7#pool

I am not sure if you seen that video with hundreds of ducks in this persons yard it was on home funniest videos

"Am I gay for seeing a musical with two girls?" ~LOL hmmm ~

"A good kick in the nuts solves everything"
Old 06/24/2007, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Dave's wildlife refuge, cool!!!!, I'll bring some possums!!
Old 06/24/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

well, they all took off. i didnt realize i had a small square hole on the bottom of my gate wall. i guess babies left thru that hole. mom is gone also.

kinda sad they all left and wish they would come back once in a while now hehehe,

at least those little ones are with their mom. then again they might be snack for cats/possums in my neighborhood.
Old 06/24/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Just hope for the best. I'm sure they moved on to greener pastures.

Jed Bartlet, The West Wing
Old 06/25/2007, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

at my house we just throw a ball into the pool near the couple and they fly off they always drop snails in the pool and create this huge mess...with possums i toss them in to the neighbors yard

the most recent animal was a mocking bird in one of our trees nest and everything theyre gone now all grown up