Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2007, 12:16 AM
Awesome One

My seio stinks

I am so tired of this thing... It's suppose to be a good pump... but every time the power flickers I have to take the whole thing apart to get it running again. Then once it's back in the tank I practically have to hit it with a hammer to get it started. It's been like this from day one and this storm is making me hate it even more.
Old 06/20/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

I haven't had that particular problem but I am replacing mine
with Hydor Koralias. The SEIO is just too bulky.
Old 06/20/2007, 12:23 AM
Awesome One

well i can tell you that i am looking for a new pump as of now. I will check that one out.
Old 06/20/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

K-4's ARE FREKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06/20/2007, 06:57 AM
Addiction??..Obsession??

I have the same issue with my tunze nanostream 6025 (not to that extreme, but I have to mess with it for it to restart), my SEIOs restart just fine. Go figure.

Dave

Catch the CRASE - Conference for Reef Aquarists and Saltwater Enthusiasts
Old 06/20/2007, 07:58 AM
TOTM October 2007

I have heard the K4s are great.

Personally I like the Tunzes, but they are expensive and equally bulky.
Old 06/20/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I love mine. Quiet, effective, and magnetic so they don't fall off.
Old 06/20/2007, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

I have two Tunze nanos and one Koralia. I sometimes have to flick the Koralia after a surge to get it spinning. I haven't had that issue with the Tunzes yet. The Tunzes and the Koralia are about the same size. I replaced my Seios with the above pumps, either brand is a big upgrade from the Seios.

Ronnie
Old 06/20/2007, 06:02 PM
No English major

Yet another plug for the K4's I recently replaced my Seios with K4's. My seios never did quit or needed thumping I just wanted to upgrade. My friend has the tunze nanos and has twice broke the housing where it spins where it has two little clips.

Just my two cents

Ask not what OMAS can do for you, Ask what you can do for OMAS.
Old 06/20/2007, 06:50 PM
OMAS VP

k4s are the wat to go imo.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I have a K-3 and a Tunze 6100,love the k-3 but my Nano stream Im not too fond of, the bracket that holds the power head is cheap and I keep braking off those very small plastic tabs.Gonna get another replacement piece but if it breaks again its gonna sit in the box.
Going to replace all my Maxi-jets with the Koralia 3s the flow is alot better,its really nice with SPS..

Donny
OMAS
Old 06/22/2007, 12:32 AM
Awesome One

Wow... those Hydors look amazing. Would be cool if they were more like the Vortec's and have the power on the outside of the tank but that is still pretty cool, especially for the price. Any idea how warm these things get? I'm thinking about replacing my one seio with two K4's for added flow, and two of them practically run at the power of one seio. The only problem is that my tank is right there on the edge of needing a chiller and I don't want to get one. If I get two pumps am I going to see a raise in tank temp?
Also... can these K4's run on a wavemaker? I just saw a video on YouTube where one was turning on and off every 5 seconds. That would be really sweet to set up.
Old 06/22/2007, 12:32 AM
Awesome One

Wow... those Hydors look amazing. Would be cool if they were more like the Vortec's and have the power on the outside of the tank but that is still pretty cool, especially for the price. Any idea how warm these things get? I'm thinking about replacing my one seio with two K4's for added flow, and two of them practically run at the power of one seio. The only problem is that my tank is right there on the edge of needing a chiller and I don't want to get one. If I get two pumps am I going to see a raise in tank temp?
Also... can these K4's run on a wavemaker? I just saw a video on YouTube where one was turning on and off every 5 seconds. That would be really sweet to set up.
Old 06/22/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

I don't know why they couldn't. More surface agitation would help your tank temp. as well. My tnk was starting to run warm and I fixed the problem by putting a small clipon fan under my stand and blowing across my sump. It dropped my tank temp about 4 degrees. For $8 versus at least $300 I'd try it first.
Old 06/22/2007, 03:29 PM
Awesome One

I already have the fan blowing underneath when my Halides come on.
Old 06/23/2007, 01:54 AM
Awesome One

Alright I picked up a couple of Hydor K4's today... I'm diggin the extra flow in the tank now. My only complaint is that the spread on these things is almost too much. But I'll get use to it. I remember when my seio was "too much" too so i'm sure this won't be a problem.