Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/20/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

sixline aggression

Hey guys I was wondering I bought two wrasses (solar wrasse and sixline) at the same time; so I introduced both wrasses at the same time into my 55 gallon tank. I also have a blue neon goby and a mated pair of golden bar maroon clowns. My question is how would I be able to calm the sixline wrasse from harassing the solar. If I had a choice i would just get rid of the sixline, but easier said than done. I was thinking of adding two bartletts at the moment to see if it would calm everybody down if there were more fish, but I'm not sure. Just wanted everyones' input on the whole matter. Also, I hear that sixlines can be aggressive and some can be docile. I would also like to take a poll to see if sixline owners have a hostile or a docile sixline; that would be very interesting. Anyway let me know guys thanks.
Old 06/20/2007, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Mine is docile.
Old 06/20/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

very hostile, a down right killer...
Old 06/20/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

mine(sixline) is calm but most of her tankmates are aggressive. the anthias migh help but keep in mind they like to eat and poop a lot so be careful of your bioload.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

mine used to be docile but now he harasses my mandarin.

i had to relocate the mandarin to the refuge bc he was getting skinny.
Old 06/20/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

I added my sixline last of a dottyback and a tang.
Everyone got along great for months. Then it started picking on the dottyback.
The dottyback stayed hidden in a rock for weeks.
The sixline is gone and everyone is happy.

I think, if not aggressive yet, it will become aggressive.
Old 06/20/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

I concur with what fisheebill said. My sixline was docile and seemed to be getting along fine when all of a sudden, after the sixline got comfortable with the tank, terrorizes and stands up to most of my fish in the tank. Does anyone have any techniques or methods on how to fish the sixline out. I tried a few things here and there and it did not seem to work. I need to get the sixline out, but it seems hopeless at the moment. Any suggestions?
Old 06/20/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fisheebill
I added my sixline last of a dottyback and a tang.
Everyone got along great for months. Then it started picking on the dottyback.
The dottyback stayed hidden in a rock for weeks.
The sixline is gone and everyone is happy.

I think, if not aggressive yet, it will become aggressive.
can be but i think it depends on tank mates. my only calm fish is a marine beta and she is too big for my six to harass. if you have peaceful fish i agree they can be aggressive. i have a purple tang, coral beauty angel, maroon clown, squarespot anthias. the sixline has been kept in check.
Old 06/21/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

6-lines and Fairy wrasses are like oil and water, they do not mix. Who ever deamed this a "peaceful" fish should have their head examined. Its semi aggressive at best, and fully aggressive in other cases.
If you do not get the 6-line out it will kill your solerinsis fairy and any other peaceful fish you want to add. There are three methods taht may work for you. First and quickest would be to drain the tank to an inch of water and nab him then. Second would be to put your fish net into the tank in a spot it will rest, and you can feed over. In a day or two the fish will become acclimated to the presence of the net and being fed over it. Then when the 6 is over the net, pull it up catching the 6. Last method is to fish him out literally. Go to a fly shop and get the smallest hook they have. Bait it and go fishing.

If none of these work out the last resort is toss a lit fire cracker in the tank and when it goes off all the fish in the tank will be easy targets. This is hell on your tank seals and may cause your tank to leak, but you will no longer be worried about one fish.
JK of course.

The memories of a man in his old age,
Are the deeds of a man in his prime.
Pink Floyd
Old 06/21/2007, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

My sixline is very docile but the caveat is that he is the smallest fish in the tank and there are no other wrasses. I have always been warned against adding another wrasse and I have not done so because of that.

You can get a fish trap and that might be the easiest way to get him out.

Lisa
Old 06/21/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

thurge thanks for the response. I actually was starring at my tank yesterday and realized that all the fish were asleep after the lights went off a few hours ago. Because I paid so much attention to the sixline in my tank, I realized where the sixline liked to take refuge. So what I did was take a bucket and pull the rock out that the sixline was sleeping in and shook him out into the bucket of water. I got lucky, but it worked like a charm. returned the sixline today and got more fish. From this experience I have learned that fish are extremely disoriented when the lights go out and it's sleep time. By the way I was also going to try the inverted 2 liter soda bottle method; this seem to have worked for some of you.