Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2007, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

My tang did this yesterday....:(

Yesterday after dinner I came into the office to look at the tank, only to find my yellow tang wrapped around the intake for the closed loop. Needless to say this spooked me and I thought for sure he was dead. He hadn't been swimming funny or anything prior to this incident, nothing at all to make you think something was out of whack. So I reach in the tank expecting the worse and as I peeled him off the return he just swam away. He was a little banged up but none the worse or so he seem's. My question is has this happened to anyone before? He is not new to this tank, been in there for 3-4 week's now. Or am I doing something wrong with that intake? It has the standard screen on it that is 2"-3" lnog and 1" wide. I really don't want this to happen when I am not around I have no idea how long he could last like that.

Art
Velocity t4 closed loop pump
6 3' compact flourescent 10k lamps
Tbs Package for 110 gal
Old 06/13/2007, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

That seems strange for a healthy fish, although I do have a clown in a small tank that sleeps stuck to the overflow. It looks alarming but he can swim away if he wants.

Lisa
Old 06/13/2007, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Thats crazy Tangs are good swimmers. Sound like he wasnt be up to bad by it.

I had a blue linkia get sucked in to a seio 1500. The blue linkia was tore up real bad. I thought he was going to be a goner. But to my surprise the linkia made it. I still have the same blue linkia. I have had it for 6 years now dang where does the time go.
Old 06/13/2007, 07:37 PM
Fighting For Fish Freedom

I had one get stuck to a fluval 404s unguarded intake while i was running carbon one day. Dont know how long he was stuck, but he also showed no signs of injury, and that tube was a lil jagged.
Old 06/13/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

What size intake piping do you have?
Old 06/13/2007, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Intake is 1" on that. The Tang look's fine today, I am the one that is worried. He is swimming around and came out to check me out when I looked into the tank. With the exception of a torn fin no problem's. I have a red algae problem that is growing on a rock near the intake so maybe he was eating it. I don't know, to my knowledge he has never done that before but maybe he was sleeping... Also there is some plant's that get hung up in there, maybe he was after that.

Art
Velocity t4 closed loop pump
6 3' compact flourescent 10k lamps
Tbs Package for 110 gal
Old 06/18/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

I have a sailfin tang that presented with a torn fin today too...torn in two places. Like yours, he doesn't seem any the worse for wear. (Is yours still doing okay?) Also like yours, he has a habit of grazing on my tunze powerheads...I wondered if he got caught somehow.
Old 06/18/2007, 11:59 PM
RC Mod

How big is the tank, and how many gph of flow is going through the inlet?
Old 06/19/2007, 12:47 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

You can always cover the intake with a sponge. You will have to clean it a lot though. To much build up in it will cause some nitrates and also limit the flow.
Old 06/19/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

I have a fox face lo that sleep against my overflow.
Old 06/19/2007, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

my lawnmower blenny sleeps stuck to the overflow when the lights go out he loves it..
Old 06/19/2007, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

my canary blenny used to sleep on top of one of the tunze nanostreams in my tank. but he disappeared on me. A couple of weeks later I took out part of what I think was his tale that was stuck in the tunze's intake. Doesn't prove anything though, except that he'd died somehow....